Anybody regularly pick the stones out of their tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of these on both my sets of keys. If I see a rock, I'll use it to dig it out. My wife always shakes her head at me when I do
grin.gif

45FB814B-90A9-43D6-AF3B-DDF247A6C8DA.jpeg

LOL...

I just came home after picking a small sharp pebble out of my tread, and sat down to my PC and looked at BITOG and your thread was the first thing I saw.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
This is OCD to the extreme. I wish I had this much extra time in my day!

Gee...dishdude-we agree. It happens time to time!

Originally Posted by CKN
Anybody Polish their tires?
smirk2.gif

I have polished at least a few hundred sets with asphalt. You should try it, its really FUN!

I've been known to pick a few rock's out of my snow's. Only really big rock's would I pick out of the cars tires, or rock's that make noise or knock my wheel out of balance!

The truck's, just drive fast and they will come out, trust me.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I do when I rotate my tires. It's a good time to inspect the tires for nails, damage, etc.

Same here. Also find short screws and staples. Get 'em before they work their way in.

My last 3 4wd's I would stop and pick out the bigger rocks stuck in the tread, when I got back to pavement. If I didn't, as soon as I reached higher speeds the rocks would come out, and hit the rockers/lower doors, and take chunks out of the paint.

OCD? maybe, but at least the paint wasn't destroyed by my own inaction.

living on a dirt road all my life I have a keen ear for rocks vs nails or screws in tires as I first hit the road for the day. So NO, I do not remove the rocks.

Wow... no I don't have time to pick rocks out of my tires. We have 80 mph speed limit here. At hiway speeds just a lane change will open the tread up.
I've actually never heard of this before.

I should also add I would be airing the tires back up at the same time. Plenty of time to check out the vehicle for any issues incurred while off-roading, and pick out the big rocks which would be come projectiles for my bodywork, or anyone following behind.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Doing it now on nearly new tires to clean the back side and inner rims. Somebody must have driven on a gravel road or construction site as I'm picking out a whole bunch of them. Also a few nail ends that if left there, would have penetrated through.

Never done that but I do pick out the seeds on my bananas.

If I happen to see or hear a big one and can get at it walking by the car, I'll pull it out - but certainly don't go looking for em!

Nissan actually a technical service bulletin on this for the z-sports car.. I think it was the 370z. They talked about removing all the stones from the tread before balancing the tire, that mass could affect the balance. I thought I'd try that on my scion tc, and I actually got about 3oz of weight from the stones in the tread! That definitely could affect the balance. So nope it's not nuts when you're balancing a tire or if you suspect the balance is off, check for lots of stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back