Any truth that a service dept will take care of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better if you purchased the vehicle there?

I have read before that a service dept will take care of you better if you bought the car there.
Any truth to this? What's your experience ? Did you ever have a situation where the purchasing dealer service dept went above and beyond because you bought the car there?

The service department has no reason to treat you better (or worse) based on where you bought your car. The service dept has to make money, i.e. be self-sufficient, so they should treat someone who bought their car at their biggest competitor just as good as they treat someone who bought the car from the other side of their building.

You'll probably hear more stories from folks here of how badly the service dept (pronounced "stealership" here) treated them and they bought their car from this same place.

Originally Posted by WhyMe

I have read before that a service dept will take care of you better if you bought the car there.
Any truth to this? What's your experience ? Did you ever have a situation where the purchasing dealer service dept went above and beyond because you bought the car there?

My Mazda dealer took care of me even though I bought my car from the Chevy dealer, when I had my first CX5.

If you're talking a high dollar vehicle and warranty work/concerns, often your sales person can get the ball rolling easily for you.

Regular service work? All shops want your business. Doesn't even matter if it's a make/model they sell.

Originally Posted by JTK
If you're talking a high dollar vehicle and warranty work/concerns, often your sales person can get the ball rolling easily for you.

Regular service work? All shops want your business. Doesn't even matter if it's a make/model they sell.

yeah i am thinking more of warranty issues .

You might get first priority on loaners and stuff.... other than that, I've still had luck getting loaners when I've bought at different dealers.

Don't know about take care of you, but they will take you. To the cleaners of course.

Originally Posted by Bud
Don't know about take care of you, but they will take you. To the cleaners of course.

Indeed. Like the other poster said. It depends on what is meant by the phrase.

I know when I worked in this business it usually meant they would drain a customer's wallet.

I see you're in WA, so in that case absolutely not

This state is awful in so many ways, auto services are included in those things, I've never seen or experienced dishonesty on such a vast scale as here, and thr auto dealers here are truly world class AWFUL

Last edited:

Yes, or at least at some dealerships. Years ago, I worked at a dealership where I personally heard the owner tell us techs that "this car was not purchased here, so........"
You fill in the blank. That dealership also had the customers get free car washes after any oil change or after they had work service done to the car....IF you purchased it there.

If you purchased your car from a dealership yet go to another for service they may be flattered. Especially on the initial visit. Or not...

Originally Posted by JTK

If you're talking a high dollar vehicle and warranty work/concerns, often your sales person can get the ball rolling easily for you ...

Uh huh ... Try it. Call your salesperson, and ask him / her to help you out with a warranty issue ...

Chances are you leave 1, 2, 10 messages, and he still won't call you back. Not his problem, and no pay ...

On a slightly different note, I was in a Honda dealer yesterday, getting the airbag recall done - yes, now there has been a 2nd update on the driver's side airbag. Jesus.

Woman was in there for an oil change, the eagle eyed service tech noted the brake fluid was a bit dark. For the low price of 85.00, they would change it for her.

How many turkey basters and bottles of fluid would that buy? LOL.

Hrmmm. My dealer details my car every visit, often discounts or performs maintenance for free, and once ate a $2700 bill when I flooded my diff with water and didnt notice it until the diff failed. My dealer > your dealer. Mazda ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back