Any reason not to use high mileage formula oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
if there is no reason to use it i would not bother. If thats all they had on the shelf, i would not have a secnd thought about using it.

LOL I bought Pennzoil HM and there was a reason It was on special at my local store for $14 a Jug.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by DGXR
I don't plan to use a HM oil until it is actually needed. My Corvette has 74,000 miles, same story.

Curious, do you run your oil to the point of failure (engine noise) or do you change it at some arbitrary number as a preventative measure? Or how about your coolant..do you forgo changing it until your temp gauge is pegged?

"Needed" does not necessarily imply reaching the point of failure.

I don't plan to use a HM oil until it is actually needed. My Corvette has 74,000 miles, same story.

Curious, do you run your oil to the point of failure (engine noise) or do you change it at some arbitrary number as a preventative measure? Or how about your coolant..do you forgo changing it until your temp gauge is pegged?

LOL I have no idea how you arrived at that place from my post. Your user name is perfect.
I stay on top of all maintenance. Oil changes for the Corvette are yearly or 7.5k miles, whichever comes first, using synthetic NON high-mileage oil. But I have never driven this car 7.5k miles in a year so the oil service is usually around 5-6k intervals. Here's a simpler context: This engine has no issues, makes no odd noises, and does not burn or leak any oil. So I will not use high mileage oil until there are aging symptoms and I have a reason to use a HM variety.
Coolant is changed every 4 years, plenty often enough considering the annual mileage. No issues there either, still has the original 24 year old water pump.

Originally Posted by jakewells
If it doesn't leak or burn oil i wouldn't bother i don't use it in mine.

Even simpler, thank you
smile.gif

LOL I have no idea how you arrived at that place from my post. Your user name is perfect.
I stay on top of all maintenance. Oil changes for the Corvette are yearly or 7.5k miles, whichever comes first, using synthetic NON high-mileage oil. But I have never driven this car 7.5k miles in a year so the oil service is usually around 5-6k intervals. Here's a simpler context: This engine has no issues, makes no odd noises, and does not burn or leak any oil. So I will not use high mileage oil until there are aging symptoms and I have a reason to use a HM variety.
Coolant is changed every 4 years, plenty often enough considering the annual mileage. No issues there either, still has the original 24 year old water pump.

Originally Posted by jakewells
If it doesn't leak or burn oil i wouldn't bother i don't use it in mine.

Even simpler, thank you
smile.gif

Both are true. HM oils are perfectly safe to use in newer vehicles and you are fine not using HM oils unless symptoms creep up.

I switched the work truck I drive (200k mile 8200 hour 2005 Silverado 4.8L) to high mileage because the rear main seal is leaking and it intermittently blows a big cloud of blue smoke on start up (valve seals I assume), but it is likely too late for switching now. So while it's not at "the point of failure" as it sj probably keep going forever, but I now have to keep an eye on oil level which may have been presented with high mileage oil earlier on.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I switched the work truck I drive (200k mile 8200 hour 2005 Silverado 4.8L) to high mileage because the rear main seal is leaking and it intermittently blows a big cloud of blue smoke on start up (valve seals I assume), but it is likely too late for switching now. So while it's not at "the point of failure" as it sj probably keep going forever, but I now have to keep an eye on oil level which may have been presented with high mileage oil earlier on.

The gist of my argument... HiMi formulas are more effective BEFORE you have a problem. To me I consider switching over to a HiMi at a reasonable mileage, as good preventative maintenance. But to each his own.. I'm just not the type who gets their flu shot after I've contracted the flu..js...

Last edited:
My 17 year old mustang has been on a high mileage oil diet for several years now. I have about 1 quart of oil consumption every 5k now. It's a ford 4.6 2v though, so I could probably mix in some coconut oil and be fine.

I just switched my Tacoma to a high mileage oil at 125k miles (M1 HM). No oil consumption at all prior to swap. But Again, it's a 1gr-fe toyota v6. Short of NOT filling it with oil I'm not sure I'm going to make any real difference.

It makes ME feel better though, and that is ultimately what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back