Any Issues Mixing Redline 5W-30 and Castrol Edge 5W-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to drain the factory fill and change the filter on my new Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5 liter Turbo Skyactiv engine somewhere around the 1000 - 1200 mile mark and refill with a quality synthetic.
I think the Castrol Edge will be a good match for this engine. I have 3 quarts of Redline 5W-30 leftover from my supply for my previous Nissan 370Z that I would like to consume.

Any issues with mixing 3 quarts of the Redline and 2 of the Castrol Edge of the same viscosity and running until the next change and then refilling with Castrol Edge for the regular OCI's ? The dealer offered me a free oil & filter change at 7500 miles but I don't want to run that long on the factory fill and who knows what kind of bulk 5W-30 they will use for the free change.

If you were in the Great Lakes region I'd say skip the oil change because Mazdas rust out long before the engine fails
But in California, perhaps a different story.

Last edited:
It's not ideal but can be done. I would only do it the one time.

A Frankenbrew in a brand new car. One of the many reasons I like hanging out here.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by double vanos
A Frankenbrew in a brand new car. One of the many reasons I like hanging out here.
lol.gif

ðŸ‘...‚

5w30 ACEA A5/B5 is what Fords ask for. If your Redline is a 5w30 A5/B5 it shouldn't matter all that much. Though draining a factory fill oil at 2000 miles .. well, I am sure the oil companies need to stay profitable.

Buy 2 qts of Redline of the same flavor, change the oil, then you'll have all Redline in the sump and not feel conflicted. Next oci go with the Castrol. Or ship the Redline to me....prepaid, and go with the Castrol at the first oci. Simple really.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I want to drain the factory fill and change the filter on my new Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5 liter Turbo Skyactiv engine somewhere around the 1000 - 1200 mile mark and refill with a quality synthetic.
I think the Castrol Edge will be a good match for this engine. I have 3 quarts of Redline 5W-30 leftover from my supply for my previous Nissan 370Z that I would like to consume.

Use one quart of Red Line for each of the next three OCIs. Overstock problem now solved and the new Mazda gets mostly-all correctly spec'd oil each OCI.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Castroline, formulated in Cuba for the motoring enthusiast!

Che Guevara approved oil?...‚

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye

Use one quart of Red Line for each of the next three OCIs. Overstock problem now solved and the new Mazda gets mostly-all correctly spec'd oil each OCI.

This is probably what I would do

Redline and di turbo's don't mix, esters are great against lspi and likely overcomes pao content, but still they are a high calcium oil. Interesting now with gf-6 dropping redline likely will have to drop CA levels if they want to "recomend" thier oil for gf-6, and when and if that happens it may be a super oil for di turbo's especially considering moly is a lspi quencher, but I wouldn't use any high calcium oil with a di turbo, currently redline's gf-5 oil has a CA level well over 2,000pp,.

Run a sn+ or dexox gen 2, or whatever has a low calcium content, until we see what happens with gf-6 formulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back