Any idea who manufactured this Duralast battery.

1687840138021.jpg

I was scrolling through Facebook marketplace and came across a listing for a 24F Duralast battery that was clearly made by Hankook-AtlasBX so I did some more searching around and found some Duralast Gold batteries that were made by Exide which is new to me because I thought Exide only made the ValuCraft and Platinum EFB batteries and the rest were made by Clatios but I guess they may make other batteries in some regions and AtlasBX makes some Duralast batteries now or at least did in early 2021. I came across this 24F battery with a different handle design than I've seen, and in another picture it showed up close that the little sticker in between the handle says "made in China, so any idea who makes this?

Battery manufacturing and recycling involves working with some pretty nasty stuff, (Lead, Sulfuric acid, Cadmium, etc.), that environmentalists hate with a passion.

Places like China and India could care less about the environment. So it stands to reason more and more of this type of recycling and manufacturing is being done over there. With more to come in the future. (If not all).

The pollution and damage to the environment is going to be the same or worse. Because those countries won't take the necessary steps to insure nothing leeches back into the ground. But it will make said environmentalists here feel better if its out of sight, and out of mind. They can then brag about how clean we are.

Duralast battery that was clearly made by Hankook-AtlasBX so I did some more searching around and found some Duralast Gold batteries that were made by Exide which is new to me because I thought Exide only made the ValuCraft and Platinum EFB batteries and the rest were made by Clatios but I guess they may make other batteries in some regions and AtlasBX makes some Duralast batteries now or at least did in early 2021.
When it comes to store brands, I personally believe that many retailers are more than content with spreading around their purchasing/sourcing. It does impact pricing to them because they can't go to one manufacturer with a forecast of a million batteries and instead it's 333k across three manufacturers. They do benefit on having more supply options, less shipping costs, etc though.

Battery manufacturing and recycling involves working with some pretty nasty stuff, (Lead, Sulfuric acid, Cadmium, etc.), that environmentalists hate with a passion.

Places like China and India could care less about the environment. So it stands to reason more and more of this type of recycling and manufacturing is being done over there. With more to come in the future. (If not all).

The pollution and damage to the environment is going to be the same or worse. Because those countries won't take the necessary steps to insure nothing leeches back into the ground. But it will make said environmentalists here feel better if its out of sight, and out of mind. They can then brag about how clean we are.
I worked in sales for Duracell back in the mid 1980s. At the time there was very stringent new regulations on mercury battery production, such that Duracell closed production on them. Yet at the time, there was no good substitute chemical system for all the medical, industrial and cameras that used them. Duracell contracted with a vendor in Hong Kong to make them for a few years (less regulated there), until most of the devices were replaced by the manufacturers to work with silver oxide, lithium and other chemical systems. I think by the late 1980s they quit selling mercury batteries altogether, as they saw the writing on the wall.

Back