Any employed people taking the whole week off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to be back in Government IT work again.

Just started my new job back in October, not allowed to take time off for six months.

Noticed a very slow office, we have off Christmas eve and Christmas this week.

Most employees take off 2 weeks for Christmas. Good thing to come next year for me.

I usually worked between Christmas and New Years - we called it "lame duck week". It was really productive (not many people around, not many phone calls, not many e-mails). We used to go out for lunch as a group at least once during the week.

Originally Posted by atikovi
With Christmas being on a Wednesday and all.

yes of course... getting paid also

The year is in the books. The warehouse and factory can't promise delivery by year end so the rest of the year is goodwill and handshakes.

Entering my 29th year on the RR, I earn 16 hours a month in PTO. Off till1/13 with a trip included to Myrtle Beach to meet a realtor. Part of our exit plan out of NJ.

Use it or lose it, so I scheduled it in. I'll probably just do some work from home, I can think of 3 projects that need to get done. Although if the wife and kids are home I might be willing to make the drive into work instead!

I usually try to save a week of time just for this. It's actually vacation or sick time. That way if I catch a bug at the end of the year I'm covered. If I stay well then it's a vacation.

no rest in the retail game..
work 6a-2:30p on the 24th (store Closes @ 7p), closed the 25th, back in @ 5:45a on the 26th(store opens @ 6, open 24/7 until next Christmas eve)

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Gebo
If I win lotto, I'm taking a few days off.

If I win the lotto, noone will ever see me again.

I've already warned coworkers that if I ever win, I'll be a dot on the horizon getting smaller by the second.

Hoping not to work this Christmas, but if I do, that'll be a hat-trick for me since I've worked the last two. For a non-I/T, non-emergency-services, non-mission-critical job on top of it. Already did 13 hours this weekend, plus a 2-hour call with staff who decided not to follow the procedures which have been clearly documented and reviewed ad-nauseum in several group meetings and now needed help to undo the mess created.

The irritating part is that I spent 27 years in various parts of I/T work, including systems software maintenance and working for a software development firm (with the 24x7 support that includes), and I've worked more nights/weekends/holidays in the last three years than I did in my entire I/T career.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, I'd move so far away it would cost $50 bucks to mail me postcard

I took last week off to use up five optional holiday days that weren't going to roll over- of course until the Sunday before and they announce they've relented and are letting us roll unused holiday time over. Oh well, I already had it booked and had side work scheduled. I'm off Christmas but am working a closing shift Christmas and New Year's Eve. Depending when they shut the rides down on NYE I might get up to the top of the coaster to watch the fireworks show.

It will be a relief not being on 24/7 on call as I was at my last job, and last year's call to a malfunctioning crossing just as dinner hit the table is just one example of a mess I do not miss.

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Ws6

I've already warned coworkers that if I ever win, I'll be a dot on the horizon getting smaller by the second.

Hoping not to work this Christmas, but if I do, that'll be a hat-trick for me since I've worked the last two. For a non-I/T, non-emergency-services, non-mission-critical job on top of it. Already did 13 hours this weekend, plus a 2-hour call with staff who decided not to follow the procedures which have been clearly documented and reviewed ad-nauseum in several group meetings and now needed help to undo the mess created.

The irritating part is that I spent 27 years in various parts of I/T work, including systems software maintenance and working for a software development firm (with the 24x7 support that includes), and I've worked more nights/weekends/holidays in the last three years than I did in my entire I/T career.

Got 36hrs this weekend, scheduled christmas. Ill probably work overtime too, so I can get 1.5x for Christmas.

I could of but that would of meant spending ALL week with my boys and working on the house... I'll just go to work Mon, Thurs, Fri .. Alot quieter and probably get a nap in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back