Anthony Bourdain - RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a GD shame, RIP. There is there is something going on, too many poor buggers in emotional distress and cant work it out for the fear of being shamed by others, media, etc then they do this. There for the grace of God go I.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Being in the public eye non stop destroys people or maybe broke people hanging themselves is not newsworthy? I wonder if he was on any prescription meds?

I agree.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Being in the public eye non stop destroys people or maybe broke people hanging themselves is not newsworthy?

Given his celebrity, his death certainly would have been reported regardless of the cause or the timing. If he lived another 40 years and died of old age, it would have been reported.

Yes, it's unfortunate when broke people and working people commit suicide, too, but unfortunately, only so much is newsworthy, and even lots we hear isn't even that.
wink.gif

Seems sad that two celebrities committed suicide by hanging in a week. One was a mother with a 13 yr old daughter. Yes she had depression. But it was still a selfish act. Her daughter will think she was not important enough for her mother to stick around.

who were they?
How can you say it was a "selfish act"?
You don't know what problems they were facing.
Could have been psychological issues that plagued them for years, making them a nuisance to family and those around them.

Everyone's so quick to judge
coffee2.gif

I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me Kate and Anthony will not be the last of this before 2018 ends..

So sad that even one of them couldn't find the solace/help they needed to overcome whatever demons drove them to this end. RIP

Do we really need a 2nd thread on this? The last one began to go off the rails and replies were deleted by the mods, of which one was mine and I admit to being guilty as charged for popping off.

It is sad when anyone takes their own life.
That two people who seemingly had the world by the tail would kill themselves is puzzling.
While I agree that suicide is a selfish act, showing no regard for those left behind to deal with it, we probably need to reconsider the need for better mental health care as well as a destigmatasation of mental illness.
The largest mental health system we have today consists of the many state and federal prisons, a symptom of a failed social and medical care system.
We have to do better.

The spike in popularity for suicide says just about all it needs to say about the ills and cancers in our society, rather than individuals. Why would Anthony Bourdain of all people do this? He was at work for cripe sake (dream job btw). Did he cross someone? Was his drugs laced with fentanyl? He was one of the good guys.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Seems sad that two celebrities committed suicide by hanging in a week. One was a mother with a 13 yr old daughter. Yes she had depression. But it was still a selfish act. Her daughter will think she was not important enough for her mother to stick around.

I agree. It's a selfish act. And that is exactly what the kids will grow up thinking. It is also being reported Bourdain had an 11 year old daughter. If people want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for her..... Not him.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
The spike in popularity for suicide says just about all it needs to say about the ills and cancers in our society, rather than individuals.

Why would Anthony Bourdain of all people do this?

He was at work for cripe sake (dream job btw). Did he cross someone? Was his drugs laced with fentanyl? He was one of the good guys.

I was wondering about this, and what came to mind was "I wonder if he had some sort of terminal condition he was keeping to himself and decided to go out on his own terms".. Wouldn't be the first time, although the circumstances are a bit odd.

But it was still a selfish act.

If you have not had severe depression you can't possibly understand.
frown.gif

Suicide is the leading killer for males under 45

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Anti - depressant drugs can increase suicide rates.

That is a loaded statement. People needing these drugs are already at risk for suicide. Flawed statistics

What is not mentioned is how many they save. Been there done that.

Last edited:
The "rise" is due to 2 things;

Anti - depressant drugs can increase suicide rates.

Slightly less stigma about suicide so they call it suicide instead of some other euphemism.

But it was still a selfish act.

Only from someone looking from the outside in. People that have never been in that deep depression state of mind will never understand how these people felt and thought.

I wish people would make the first most important move when they are suffering from depression, and that is to reach out for help. In today's world there should be now shame felt by reaching out if someone needs help. And on the flip side, if someone detects that someone is having mental struggles they might want to make ask them about it and reach out with an offer to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back