Another rainy day, another "snow day" for the kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable! By 6am, the streets were snow & ice free as it rained south of town most of the night.

The school district obviously views the "10 snows days built-in to the schedule" as a goal.

We're training our kids to make excuses, not make progress.

They need to have more snow days up here in our school district, its a saftey thing IMO, dont drive if the roads are bad, period.
progress isnt worth trading lives for.

Last edited by a moderator:
gofastman,

But you have to understand the culture down south in regards to snow. I was floored yesterday morning when it was snowing here (Huntsville) & no one let out school. We even had snow on the ground but everybody kept working. I figured the apocalypse would happen after lunch.

Originally Posted By: gofastman
They need to have more snow days up here in our school district, its a saftey thing IMO, dont drive if the roads are bad, period.
progress isnt worth trading lives for.

+1
Kids can learn lots of stuff at home, bake a couple cakes from scratch, one measuring carefully and one not... Good science experiment!

I see your point.
the two school systems are obviously on opposite ends of the spectrum, I had only 1 or 2 snow days the entire time I was in the K-12 system.

" I had only 1 or 2 snow days the entire time I was in the K-12 system"

Agreed. Around here there are only 1 or 2 a year built into the schedule.

Originally Posted By: gofastman
I had only 1 or 2 snow days the entire time I was in the K-12 system.

That's about all we had here too. One or two in grade school and once in HS, after Chicago's famous "Blizzard of 1979".

Heck with all the snow days and all the new added holidays they have (Pulaski Day, King Day, etc) its a wonder the kids aren't stuck in school until the 4th of July.

yawn....more snow...
12.gif

Areas that don't get a reasonable amount of snow every year are not prepared if there is even a small amount of snow forecast. We have had maybe 2 decent snow falls in the last 7 years. For Snowmageddon I cleared 1/3 of a mile of road infront of my house using an angle blade on my tractor. The county plow came by when it had almost completely melted.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhea...apital-in-white

ra4008825039.jpg

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
You guys are very lucky to get snow, down here there is really no change of seasons.

Your state just got rid of the sucky ones
lol.gif

Just added another foot of the fun stuff to the piles outside. Getting around was not bad in the cities - dicier out in the country.

As we like to say -Minnesota: 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding :)

Something else the folks down south don't realize. When we say it's summer up here, that does not mean it's 80-100 degrees. It just means the snow has melted. Still might only be 45-60 but it's still summer to us.

You know what gets me is the bus driver for 16-18 year old HIGH SCHOOL students has to walk them across the street. [censored] I KNEW HOW TO LOOK FOR CARS WHEN I WAS 4 years old! Were training our kids so that everyone does everything for them! PATHETIC this really gets me mad.

If they don't drive the school busses in snow why do they have snow tires?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If they don't drive the school busses in snow why do they have snow tires?
21.gif

hmmm...snow tires. Is that when your tire has snow on it? {looking through urban dictionary as this may be some sort of slang now}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back