Another persective on thick/thin and oil pumps and pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad some of you took the time to read the articles of Chuck's. Saab sludge often gets overlooked on here in light of the tons of threads on Toyotas, VW's and Chryslers. Yes, I have LC20....BUT I promised not to use it w/ the Redline I have in so as see how well it performs solo (oil analysis plus how "clean" the engine looks after).

I don't mind doing frequent changes. I've stocked up on HM and HDEOs for just that purpose.

By the way. There is YET ANOTHER PCV update that just came out this month. But the only info I have on it is in Swedish. Anyone good at translation? None of the online ones do it justice.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Yes, I have LC20....BUT I promised not to use it w/ the Redline I have in so as see how well it performs solo (oil analysis plus how "clean" the engine looks after).

worshippy.gif

Excellent!! I can hardly wait to see the pictures!

Yes, Redline seems to be wonderful stuff. I've (in my mind at least) debunked a little of the HDEOs clean your engine talk, had good but not complete results w/ 2 turns of arx, and now we'll see how redline, then LC20 do.

If the car lasts that long!

I think bang for the buck, thick or thin... Delo 15w-40 is a great oil. $2/qt and a HD oil it is.

I've seen a Benz come in with blacker than midnight oil... not sure what it was. and it just had a oil change done not to long ago. My gramps put it correctly with oils and "suggested" uses... like M1 with Corvettes and Mercedez... it's a business contract. Purely political. He used to be a Truck driver in Europe and he said everytime he'd buy a new rig it's recomending a new "name brand" of oil. He got fed up and ran 1 brand of oil regardless of what the "sticker" or emblem said. Take it all with a grain of salt. People who buy a vette, viper or benz and are told run M1, will most likely become a drone and buy the $6/qt oil. and if their next vette says "shell" they'll go buy shell oil. $$$Business deals$$$...

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
SNIP

I tried M1 0w-40 in my 850 Volvo Turbo and on a hot day on a long commute between San Diego and Phoenix the oil temp went up and the oil pressure went down enough for the brain to shut down the A/C. A uoa showed the oil, after the trip to be a 'thin' 20w. I'll never use an oil with that much of a spread again.

Did you ever post that UOA? Quick searching didn't turn it up.

Lube Control and thicker oil. I would use a 15W40 dureing summer and 0W40 dureing the winter. I would use double the new sugested dosage of Lube control for the first gallon and then after that follow the directions. The 15W40 is going to flow fine dureing the warm months and it is going to help the oil pump out a lot!!! I do not think the slight decrease in cold start flow dureing spring and summer is going to be an issue. Dureing winter though I would definately use either a 0W40 or a 5W40. Even if you replace the oil pump I would still do what I have sugested.

The Lube Control is going to clean the engine slowly ( pickup screen) and keep the oil from oxidizeing prematurely due to all of the sludge and sludge precursors still in the engine. THe 15W40 is going to increase presure and cushion the worn parts. If the clearance on the pump is off this will help a lot!! The 15W40 is also going to resist oxidation better and will hold more junk free'ed by the Lube Control. The synthetic 5W40 and or 0W40 are going to flow very well even dureing winter in most places in the USA. They are usualy formulated for lighted-heavy duty diesels and have much better additive packages for dealing with dirty engines.

Oh yeah, I've already used 15W40 and am well aware of the addy pack. That's kinda the conclusion I had come to myself. I have 6 gallons of 15W40 in the stash and even 1 20W50. I've already cleaned that pickup screen and hopefully it'll be okay for a while. I took some pics tonight that I will post shortly. Seems the Redline I'm using is already having a noticeable effect under the valve cover. But that's another story. Actually, since I'm in Louisiana, I figured for winter I'd go w/ the HM 10W40 I have stashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back