Another Civic Down

So, today was a fun day. My wife and kid were on vacation at the beach (don't get me started on why they shouldn't have gone, but there they were). Since I go back to work Monday night, I usually sleep late on Sunday so I can stay awake all night. But not today. Today I'm brought back to the living by a barking dog. A dog that never barks unless someone is knocking at the door. Get up, answer the door, its the day shift Sergeant who is a good friend of mine. 'Your wife is having trouble with the car' Car in question is my kids b-day present from her grandad, a 2019 Civic. In my groggy mind, I can't think of what trouble she'd be having that would require someone stopping by the house to get me. He didn't say 'wreck' he said 'car trouble'.

Grab my phone and the wife had sent me a picture:

[Linked Image]

'Uhohh, this isn't good'

Call the wife, she's a little PO'ed that I didn't answer, but glad I called. I start getting the story. They had packed to leave and parked in the loading zone and had just gotten out of the car to go back in and check out, when a dude fell from the sky and landed on the hood.

'What the serious F' is my thought.

Of course, that meant I had to drive 350 miles up there to go get them and bring them back home and deal with the towing company when I got there, which was about 10 rounds of pass the buck between the insurance and the towing company.

Still not sure that I won't be going back up there and towing the car home. It's almost driveable. If it hadn't been for the broken coolant lines I might have well driven it back. Had I been thinking even clearer when I left the house I would have snagged a friend with a truck and we'd have gotten a tow dolly and brought it back home.

2020 can eat it.

so far this year I'm out

$4900 for a new drain field
$4900 for a new heat pump
and just this week while the girls were gone, the dishwasher packed it in, so $450 for that. Luckily there's a scratch and dent place in town that I picked up a new Samsung that comes with full factory warranty and was only lightly scratched on the handle. I can live with that.

News Story
https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/07/05...-SAJd1oFF6E0QCXFjfILkHkdGCXCuN9bNfu8xsVM

Come to find out, this is something like the 5th person to jump from those condo's in the last few years. Probably the reason the wife told me 'I got a really good deal on the room'...

Last edited:
I... I'm speechless. I mean I'm glad your wife and daughter are okay, and I'm sorry that all your stuff needed repaired or replaced, but wow!

On the scratch and dent appliances, that's pretty much all I've ever bought and it's worked out great for me. Huge discounts on brand new appliances that my little kids will dent/scratch anyway are perfectly fine with me!

Yea, its setting in for the kid now that she's seen her first dead person. She didn't see the actual fall, but she walked up right after it happened and had a massive freak out. Then on the way home she was fine and now its setting in a little more for her, but I think she'll be ok.

Ohh as a funny aside. The kid smacked a mailbox with her mirror and tore it off a few weeks ago, the detective spent about 30 min trying to find a mirror that is sitting on the floor beside me as I type this. I'm sure he was confused as to how on earth a mirror could launch far enough from the car that he couldn't find it.

Last edited:
You keep your head up and you'll get through this mess. Glad everyone is ok. Although I'm not great at taking my own advice, just remember that none of "this" really matters...all the BS curveballs life loves to throw at us. The best medicine and the best revenge is not to care or let it bother you. Which is impossible, believe me I know...but some people can do that and those are the ones that live into their 90's puffing away on cigarettes and downing Miller Lites.

I've been in the process of buying and selling our home (selling one, buying one). I swear I woke up in a panic attack two nights ago at 3:00 am, thinking about the house I'm buying (it has two leaks on the roof found in the home inspection). The whole time I'm worrying...water is going to get in before we close and I'll be dealing with mold and a hole in the [censored] ceiling. And although I can "afford" this house, I'm way out of my comfort zone with the price, cost, size of this thing. So I'm worrying about that too. Life has a lot of fun with me, it knows everything bothers me. Don't let it bother you! Good god, please let there be someone out there that can beat this thing. Lol.

My dad is a retired attorney. Your daughter needs to do a free consultation with a good law firm. If this happened in California, your wife and daughter would most likely get $100K for emotional distress. In the SE U.S., who knows.
The property insurance?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I... I'm speechless. I mean I'm glad your wife and daughter are okay, and I'm sorry that all your stuff needed repaired or replaced, but wow!

On the scratch and dent appliances, that's pretty much all I've ever bought and it's worked out great for me. Huge discounts on brand new appliances that my little kids will dent/scratch anyway are perfectly fine with me!

No kidding. My grandmother bought a washer that way at Woolworth's in 1979...I used it until last year. (Internals finally rotted.) My mother's refrigerator was the same...bought with a big scrape on one side and a bent handle. The handle took 5 minutes with a screwdriver to replace (and the salesman at Sears didn't charge for it), and since the scraped side was against the wall, nobody cared.

WOW

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Still not sure that I won't be going back up there and towing the car home. ..

I would do that, you don't want it fixed 350 miles from you - particularly not in a beach town...

My Subaru had a much much smaller dent in hood that looked like someone with a fat butt landed on my car from a few feet up. Insurance paid, so I don't care how it happened.

I would have expected something like this to have happened at 2 AM by someone who had too much to drink.

Wow! I would consider some professional counseling to help handle any PTSD from everything that's happening. You also. Many of us are already under stress from all that has been happening the past months. It wears you down. Then, to have something like this happen is the proverbial straw to break the camel's back.

Best wishes to you and your family to recover from all of this and move forward.

Sorry this happened and I'm glad your family wasn't hurt, but would you even want that Honda fixed?

Just curious how this will get handled.

Originally Posted by JTK
Sorry this happened and I'm glad your family wasn't hurt, but would you even want that Honda fixed?

Call the insurance company. they will take care of the problem.

Here is my 2 cents..

On the Honda- No way would i bring that home after that. No way is it ever going to be the same as far as knowing someone died on it... that has to be a total loss as far as insurance is concerned at least as far as i would be concerned.

Since its a gift from the grand dad...im assuming its financed with full coverage...

I know you are in panic mode but do you really want this car back?

The location should have property insurance as well..

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by JTK

Call the insurance company. they will take care of the problem.

This. Let the insurance company appraise the damage where it is at before deciding to tow it. They might total that car. Who knows what damage there is under the hood.

I hope your kid and your wife get through this. That is one thing I would be concerned about, especially the kid.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Just wow! At least glad everyone is okay!

...Well not everyone is ok. But yeah that's wild, I would reach out to an attorney since this is so unusual.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My dad is a retired attorney. Your daughter needs to do a free consultation with a good law firm. If this happened in California, your wife and daughter would most likely get $100K for emotional distress. In the SE U.S., who knows.
The property insurance?

So some guy offs himself and you want to sue the building owner? Why is that?

Scott

Back