Another Air Compressor Pick Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

Yes I did search here and found some good info on air compressors but still struggling a bit.
I have a 16hp gas powered 30gal compressor that we use on our property, it's a horse, the unloaders still operate even when using a sandblaster lol. But - we will be moving and the compressor will stay with the property, so I'm looking for another one to use in the new house (subdivision).
Needs are fairly basic, no blasting, minimal air tool use, vertical tank, oil bath, some light HVLP use. This one is along the lines of what I'm looking for except my preference is for 220v. I have a 50A, 220 v service outlet that is intended for air compressor and occasional stick welder.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-horsepow...ssor-67847.html

I see some mixed reviews on this HF compressor but to honest I could still get it and use it on a 110v 20A circuit, but would really prefer a 220v version.
Recommendations are appreciated, thank you
smile.gif

110 and 220 volt appliances use the same power (if rated the same) but consume less current (Power (watts) = volts X current (amperes)) and therefore can use lighter wiring (in the house). That is the main advantage. Otherwise there is no difference.

That is why Electric Distribution Companies use high voltage, to minimize the wire size and cost of their distribution system, and step down transformers near the user.

Since you pay for power (kilowatt-hours), there is no difference in cost to run these.

Last edited:
I'd try to pickup a good brand one like ingersol rand on sale.

usually about 25% more but you get something I would have confidence in lasting decades.

I have that exact air compressor but in 120 volts. I've had it for going on four years now with no problems. I don't get chance to use it alot maybe once every two weeks. I mostly use it to clean things with a blow nozzle and inflate tires. I do have a impact and it seems to operate it ok. I think its a decent compressor for home use.

Mud, obviously the one you link to is complete night/day different from the one you have.

It's your typical cheapy cast-iron and (mostly) aluminum compressor end. With typical HFT parts mounted under it. They are small/light enough that they'll start no problem even in cold weather on a 120V/15A circuit.

That said, for light home use they are great. I've had a HFT twin tank unit with that same compressor end for about 10yrs now. Only issues I've had is the plastic hose that goes to the pressure shut-off switch has come loose and blown off and the plastic housing on the on/off switch is broken.

You always have to expect that on compressors in the HFT price range.

Joel

thank you, I didn't know that about 110 vs 220 cost comparisons. One aspect to using the 220v 20a circuit was that the garage is currently on one circuit for outlets (I will add another later). I often have a fan or something else in use, a small grinder/sander/tool and I didn't want to trip the breaker when the compressor came on. Plus the use of the welder is very intermittent and I'd like to make more use of the 220v circuit by using it for the air compressor.
The low cost of the HF compressor is tempting but for the long term I'm ok with paying more for a 220v compressor (I guess a 220v motor could be installed on the HF unit, but then its having to start changing things). I also found Puma brand that seems to be sourced from the same factory as I-R, and our local tractor supply has C-H compressors such as this one:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3310006
I may stop by and talk with the manager, he's often knocked down pricing on bigger ticket items.

And yes it is night and day between the compressors, but I'm ok with that
smile.gif

396350199.jpg

Had that same compressor(in red) for 3 years. Bought it off CL from a retired couple moving to AZ for $75. He had a small wood shop in the basement and had it for several years.

Its downfall was a the pressure switch, which seems to be common amongst these cheap compressors. I almost always shut the compressor off after I am done. Failed to do so this time came home to a compressor that was running, opened the garage door to smoke rolling out and the smell of burning oil. The pressure switch contact had failed and it just ran and ran after it tripped the relief valve, My guess is it ran non-stop for 2-6 hours as the area around the compressor was well heat soaked, over 100°F, 60°F day.

In the end the head and cylinder base gasket were bad from overheating, reed valves were junk. The compressor motor/pump assembly was made by Wealth Trying to get parts was a futile effort and replaced the compressor.

Once I had time I did end up just making gaskets out of gasket paper and new reed valves from spring steel stock at work. Replaced the pressure switch assembly with a unit from Northern tool. The Central Pneumatic was then handed down to a buddy who just needed some thing for tires...

It had a slow fill time and struggled to build higher pressures over 90psi IMHO. When I did the new reed valves and gaskets, I used thinner gasket material increasing the compression and I sanded and polished the reed valve plate which helped then seal better. After which it had no issues building to 125psi and the fill time was shorter as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back