Annyone else having issues with Windows 7 lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

For years I never had a single problem with my Windows 7 Professional. Now in the last couple of weeks I am having issues with corrupt windows files, disc issues and so on. My surfing habits have not changed which makes me wonder what is going on. Anyone having similar issues??

Sounds like it could be the hard drive going south. You have any hard drive health checking tools?

Run the windows memory diagnostic. Failing memory will definitely cause corrupt files.

Also, it could be your power supply going bad too.

Agreed, in order of likelihood given the systems it is either drive failure (or bad cable connection to it), bad PSU, or memory.

I would stop running windows in case it gets worse to the point of corrupting important files or failing to quite booting.

Instead I'd boot to a flash drive/etc to run memtest86+ and again to run a HDD diagnostic. If you have another drive then I'd do a testbed install of Win7 on it. If you have another system then I'd clone your current HDD/SSD to it, BUT if there is already significant file corruption, there may be no smooth sailing until you reinstall the OS after the problem is pinpointed and fixed.

Of course you could just restore your partition backup, which we all make regularly, right?
wink.gif

Lately there has been a couple of updates and my Win 7 will hardly run. Doesn't respond to commands. Just seems to lock up. Takes a very long time to do anything. Wonder if it is the updates?

Originally Posted by Dave9

Of course you could just restore your partition backup, which we all make regularly, right?
wink.gif

Why YES we do !! Emergency boot image to USB flashdrive, and full backup to Carbonite.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Lately there has been a couple of updates and my Win 7 will hardly run. Doesn't respond to commands. Just seems to lock up. Takes a very long time to do anything. Wonder if it is the updates?

I have similar issues. The more they "update" it, the worse it runs. Now I get that pop up that say's, "Windows is searching for a solution to the problem". Windows NEVER finds ANY solution to ANY problem. I just wait a minute or 2 and it comes back. I just wish they would stop "improving" it.

Originally Posted by 007
For years I never had a single problem with my Windows 7 Professional. Now in the last couple of weeks I am having issues with corrupt windows files, disc issues and so on. My surfing habits have not changed which makes me wonder what is going on. Anyone having similar issues??

I would clone asap.

Just had my computer checked. It was found that the last few Microsoft updates were an issue. Seems they were back loaded with a lot of junk. I am no expert but I can say since things were deleted and/or cleaned everything is fine. Tech told me that many were having the same issue within the last month. I will get a new laptop in the near future but I DO NOT TRUST Microsoft! Funny how the same thing happened when XP was replaced!

Originally Posted by 007
Just had my computer checked. It was found that the last few Microsoft updates were an issue. Seems they were back loaded with a lot of junk. I am no expert but I can say since things were deleted and/or cleaned everything is fine. Tech told me that many were having the same issue within the last month. I will get a new laptop in the near future but I DO NOT TRUST Microsoft! Funny how the same thing happened when XP was replaced!

That's strange because my Windows 7 seems to be running fine, and it has all recent updates. One thing I do is wait awhile when an update comes out before I install it. If there's an issue with the update Microsoft typically hears about it and pushes out a fixed version.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 007

That's strange because my Windows 7 seems to be running fine, and it has all recent updates. One thing I do is wait awhile when an update comes out before I install it. If there's an issue with the update Microsoft typically hears about it and pushes out a fixed version.

Just sharing my experience and what I was told. If your system works fine that's a good thing!

Originally Posted by 007

That sounds like a lot of "we ran disk cleanup but had to make it sound like we did more" language. Windows updates aren't "back-loaded" with junk, and I'm not even sure what that statement is supposed to mean
21.gif
They replace files with bugs/vulnerabilities with updated versions that don't (or they haven't been discovered yet).

You really should take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That sounds like a lot of "we ran disk cleanup but had to make it sound like we did more" language. Windows updates aren't "back-loaded" with junk, and I'm not even sure what that statement is supposed to mean
21.gif
They replace files with bugs/vulnerabilities with updated versions that don't (or they haven't been discovered yet).

1809 screwed up every singe HP Elitedesk G1 tower that I came across because of a keyboard driver, booted straight into BSOD. Luckily an admin on a different forum found the culprit and the solution was as easy as moving the HDD to a working PC and remove the file.

Then the 1903 release that killed the start menu and any actions within the start menu (simple as trying to turn off the PC or opening up paint) took literal minutes. I sent M$ a nastygram about that one.

Not saying that Win10 is perfect, as I like it for personal use. It just seems they want to change too much too fast and it screws up whatever worked beforehand. I mean do we really need 3 different start menu looks in a year?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
21.gif

1809 screwed up every singe HP Elitedesk G1 tower that I came across because of a keyboard driver, booted straight into BSOD. Luckily an admin on a different forum found the culprit and the solution was as easy as moving the HDD to a working PC and remove the file.

Then the 1903 release that killed the start menu and any actions within the start menu (simple as trying to turn off the PC or opening up paint) took literal minutes. I sent M$ a nastygram about that one.

Not saying that Win10 is perfect, as I like it for personal use. It just seems they want to change too much too fast and it screws up whatever worked beforehand. I mean do we really need 3 different start menu looks in a year?

Yep, 10 isn't perfect, but at least it will get updates past the end of the year
21.gif

I'm currently using 1903 on my imaging server, it has, for the most part, been good.

Before I finally just bought a new PC, my old Windows 7 PC started to not let me install drivers for any new USB devices.

Then my memory card reader quit working, and it wouldn't let me print anything.

When I tried upgrading to Windows 10, half-way through formatting my hard drive there was a power surge (just my luck) and it got screwed up enough that not even a Linux live DVD could read it.

Luckily though before I started I copied all the files I'd have wanted to keep onto my external HD, so when I bought my new PC it was just a matter of dragging and dropping everything where it goes. I was back to business as usual in the matter of an hour,.

Like I said everything is fine now and YES I understand I will have to go with 10 soon but I DO NOT like what has happened present day which WAS a Microsoft issue! If others are doing well with their systems that's great!!

The problem the OP experienced with Windows 7 updates and the problems others have experienced with Windows 10 are due to the same thing - Microsoft's shift in how they QA patch releases.

The details aren't important for this discussion, but what is important is for everyone to remember these issues they have with the updates are not dependent on the Windows version and they will continue to occur as long as Microsoft remains subscribed to its current QA/Testing paradigm.

And if you want to chalk this reply up to me being anti-Microsoft, feel free. You will be wrong in doing so, but don't let that stop you from showing the internet how smart you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back