Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 (ZRT) with TBN and TAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Wonder if I should put this in my '06 GTO instead of ASL (see sig.)...

Pablo?

For the summer, fine choice.

Thanks, Pablo. Lots more Zinc, less Boron.

My GTO will only be driven in the Spring (after the salt is washed off the streets ~ early April) through Fall.

I was going to put in ASL, but will go with ZRT now.

Pablo, Upon further review...

"As a general service guideline, the maximum drain interval for Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil should not exceed 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. In heavily modified engines (e.g. forced induction, nitrous) the maximum drain interval should not exceed 3,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first."

I have a big Supercharger.
smile.gif

Will put on lots more than 3k this season, so I better go with ASL.

"As a general service guideline, the maximum drain interval for Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil should not exceed 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. In heavily modified engines (e.g. forced induction, nitrous) the maximum drain interval should not exceed 3,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first."

smile.gif

That does not make sense. First of all, is the supercharger an aftermarket unit?

Second of all, the SAME warning goes for ASL. You can't do any longer OCI in an API SN oil in a "heavily modified engine", at least without a UOA.

smile.gif

That does not make sense. First of all, is the supercharger an aftermarket unit?

Second of all, the SAME warning goes for ASL. You can't do any longer OCI in an API SN oil in a "heavily modified engine", at least without a UOA.

Yes, I have a large, Forced Induction aftermarket Supercharger.

Applicable to our conversation ASL Service Life:

"SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• In all non-gasoline-fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

(4) Turbo/supercharged engines, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive idling, vehicles with more than 100,000 miles without prior continuous use of AMSOIL motor oil, daily short-trip driving less than 10 miles (16 km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving."

So, it's excluded from severe service condition 4 extended service life, but not say: "Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil should not exceed 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. In heavily modified engines (e.g. forced induction, nitrous) the maximum drain interval should not exceed 3,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first."

ASL doesn't mention anything like 3,000 miles, even if it's an aftermarket FI , if you follow me...

ASL doesn't mention anything like 3,000 miles, even if it's an aftermarket FI , if you follow me...

Quote:
(1) Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

You posted this exact quote. It applies to you.

Z-Rod is a MUCH better choice than ASL.

That's what I originally thought, but then I looked at the AZR Service life about the 3k, but ASL did not say 3k. So, since I wanted to go over 3k OCI's on the GTO, that's what turned my head to ASL.
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

AZR it is, plus, the Zinc is up where I want it.

Go 3-4-5K, your choice and run a UOA. Repeat. I have no idea what your baseline will look like.

Yea, I'll do a UOA for sure. I wanna see some numbers on this oil.
20.gif

It's history has been Mobil 1 5w-30 with AC Delco filters every 3-4k. Has 3k on the current fill of M1; 2.1k of me driving back from California.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Keep using Mobil 1.

So, how about some advantages & rationale to support that statement to keep running Mobil 1?

Looks like another fine oil but I like J Gibbs because it has the high amount of moly that I like in my classic cars performance oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Looks like another fine oil but I like J Gibbs because it has the high amount of moly that I like in my classic cars performance oils.

Yea, that's good too. I do have cans of Lubro-Moly MOS2, so I can bump it up...
grin.gif

grin.gif

LOL LM + Z-rod! 4,000 then UOA.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

grin.gif

grin2.gif

I can pretty much guarantee you that's what I'll do!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

grin.gif

grin2.gif

I can pretty much guarantee you that's what I'll do!
grin.gif

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
Any idea of the oil temps you are running in the GTO?

I went into the "Secret Menu" (hold Set & Mode when starting) and ran to full op. temp and the coolant temp is 192-195. Did not see oil temp in the menu.

The Maggie Supercharger is Intercooled, btw.

So, yea, good question.

Can't wait for Spring to drive the beast & change the oil to Z-ROD + NAPA Platinum Filter!

The Z-Rod's maximum service recommendation is just a "general guideline". Just look at that TBN!! This is not a 3k and dump it oil, I don't care how much power you're putting down.

I say, run it 5k and do a UOA to see how its doing.

I plan to try it in my Scion tC later this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back