Amsoil the best but Pennzoil for the win?

Some of his tests are quite valid. Most of them are not.

When he tested Restore, he did it by testing compression before Restore, after Restore, and even did a follow up compression test many hours later.

It was a real world test with real world results. Actually better than a lab test.

But few of his tests are that spot on.

Did this video influence anyone to switch brands?

The guy in the video says that Walmart & Amazon oil are what he uses, and it's ranked (by him) next to the Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Did this video influence anyone to switch brands?

Hopefully not but I would assume someone has.

I heard that Vince the ShamWow guy is the direct result of insemination experiments utilizing Scotty's and Farm Guy's genetic donations.

vinceshamwow.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole

Even 3 year old Amsoil formulation still leads the pack while the rest are trying to catch up. The production date on the Amsoil bottle is from 2016. LOL.

Well, that means the oil he tested doesn't match what is sold now, as the SS line was reformulated for LSPI resistance around 2017-8.
Time for a retest!!!!!

LOL!!

Most oils today claim "unsurpassed wear performance" based on the Seq IVA test - meaning most are below 20 microns (90 is the max)
Most do every well in the Seq IIIG/H
Most pass the GM Turbo Test
Most pass the HTO-06 Turbo Test
Most are using near identical additive systems
Noack Volatility is within 5-12% range for most grades

What you're generally paying for are the treat rates that give you a bit of boost in certain areas of performance, for example long drain intervals you're going to want very good oxidation resistance. (same for turbo)

I didn't watch all of the video but I suspect this is the usual superfical, relatively meaningless testing you see from youtubers.

Originally Posted by Gebo
C'mon. For what he did, he was most fair and seemed to be consistent in all the tests. He proved several things about each oil. (True)

We already knew Amsoil was the best, right? He just proved it. (Sarcasm)

Based on his videos, I'm gonna sell all my Schaeffers on CL and replenish my oil stash with all Amsoil. (Lie)

I watch movies a lot for escapism and entertainment. (True)

I watch YouTube a lot for escapism and entertainment. (True)

His videos are entertaining. (True)

I like Scotty and this guy. (True)

Even 3 year old Amsoil formulation still leads the pack while the rest are trying to catch up. The production date on the Amsoil bottle is from 2016. LOL.

Mobil 1 was 7 years ahead of the rest as their 2010 formulation already met the LSPI testing and they were well aware of it then. Their oils dropped to a Mg/Ca detergent system and a SA of .8.

Source: Mobiloil.com

"4. Mobil 1 motor oils are so advanced that they have met the API SN Plus performance standard since 2010.
Many Mobil 1 motor oils already meet the API SN Plus performance standard, making these full synthetic oils more than seven years ahead of their time for providing protection against LSPI."

I believe Mobil 1 just happened to walk into a solution... Not the other way around.

It was just a formulation change at that time that found was a answer to a problem later on.

Nothing wrong with that at all...

I think it's likely M-1 was looking at Mg to maintain tbn longer over a change interval. Which mg does certainly do that.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I believe Mobil 1 just happened to walk into a solution... Not the other way around.

It was just a formulation change at that time that found was a answer to a problem later on.

I think it's likely M-1 was looking at Mg to maintain tbn longer over a change interval. Which mg does certainly do that.

My opinion, from what I know about XOM, is they are always looking ahead because of their close working relationship with OEM's and owning 1/2 of Infineum. I had emailed them why their TBN was lowered and their response was related to the LSPI issue. If you look at their data sheets they are always up to date too. It's possible you are correct, but that is my take on it. I was lucky enough to have spoken with some XOM engineers years ago (not tech support people) and this is what was conveyed to me. What goes on now I have no idea....

Originally Posted by buster

My opinion, from what I know about XOM, is they are always looking ahead because of their close working relationship with OEM's and owning 1/2 of Infineum. I had emailed them why their TBN was lowered and their response was related to the LSPI issue. If you look at their data sheets they are always up to date too. It's possible you are correct, but that is my take on it. I was lucky enough to have spoken with some XOM engineers years ago (not tech support people) and this is what was conveyed to me. What goes on now I have no idea....

Yes, Infineum was working on the LSPI issue long before we knew about it. Given Mobil's half ownership of the company, them incorporating that into their formulations doesn't seem far fetched at all.

C'mon. For what he did, he was most fair and seemed to be consistent in all the tests. He proved several things about each oil. (True)

Based on his videos, I'm gonna sell all my Schaeffers on CL and replenish my oil stash with all Amsoil. (Lie)

Mobil 1 was 7 years ahead of the rest as their 2010 formulation already met the LSPI testing and they were well aware of it then. Their oils dropped to a Mg/Ca detergent system and a SA of .8.

"4. Mobil 1 motor oils are so advanced that they have met the API SN Plus performance standard since 2010.
Many Mobil 1 motor oils already meet the API SN Plus performance standard, making these full synthetic oils more than seven years ahead of their time for providing protection against LSPI."

What relevance does that have today, in 2019?

I do not think they were way, way, way ahead of this circumstance... Could be wrong
smile.gif
I don't remember hearing anything about LSPI until about 4 years ago. Not that it was not happening before that... But how many turbo boosted motors with GDI we're on the market 8-10 years ago??

Some maybe... However they became much much more prevalent after 2013... Mazda went from a V6 to a 4 cylinder turbo boosted motor during this time.. As did Ford, Hyundai and Kia etc etc... At least in the US market..

However... Mobil does a great job making extremely good oils for the market. And like you said it could be that relationship with Infineum was very helpful in this regard. Which does raise the question...??? Is not Royal Dutch Shell a partner in Infineum ?? If so, why was Shell so far behind the curve in relation to ExxonMobil ?? That would appear quite odd in it's own way if I am remembering that circumstance correctly.

Great answer buster.... And I'd bet you could well be right... I just wonder why Shell was so far behind I'd they are a partner with Infineum has well??? Seems quite odd if I am remembering that correctly.

Originally Posted by talest

What relevance does that have today, in 2019?

In the context of the referenced quotes, it's quite relevant.

PF is fun and enjoyable. Just don't take anything way from the Falex wear test.

but - the Regular Joe unfortunately will.

I like the bacon grease run - did you see how clean the heads and pistons were?

Easily ignitable lube with fatty acid ester self cleaning properties
smile.gif

But it was known for over a century that animal fats lubricate better than petroleum products

This was the email I received from XOM back in 2012.

"Thanks for your message.We appreciate the feedback. A slight reduction in ash is desirable for advanced engine technology such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and passenger car diesel engines. With GDI engines, higher levels of ash appear to result in a higher occurrence of Low Speed Pre-Ignition. The industry is currently developing tests and specifications to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition. In the future, passenger car engine oil specifications such as ILSAC GF-6 and dexos1 (next generation) are likely to have requirements such as lower ash to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition.

As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

We hope this information was both helpful and informative. Thanks again for reaching out, and for your continued support of Mobil 1"

This was the email I received from XOM back in 2012.

"Thanks for your message.We appreciate the feedback. A slight reduction in ash is desirable for advanced engine technology such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and passenger car diesel engines. With GDI engines, higher levels of ash appear to result in a higher occurrence of Low Speed Pre-Ignition. The industry is currently developing tests and specifications to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition. In the future, passenger car engine oil specifications such as ILSAC GF-6 and dexos1 (next generation) are likely to have requirements such as lower ash to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition.

As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

We hope this information was both helpful and informative. Thanks again for reaching out, and for your continued support of Mobil 1"

Which shows they were well aware of it 7 years ago, and formulating accordingly, supporting the claim that they were ahead of the curve by a significant margin.

So was the Castrol Edge he tested. The Castrol he tested wasn't even SN+ which proves out out of date since SN+ Castrol had been out at least a year.

Still though people obsess over this. My Dad has a 60 bug convertible with it's original engine that has been in the family since new... never used synthetic oil ever and it still runs like a swiss watch. My Dad just used what was recommend in the manual, still does as I do with my cars.

When was the last time you heard of ANY car crapping out due to an oil related failure??

Use the spec your engine requires. Simple.

Mic Drop.

Last edited:
Back