FILTER
OIL CHANGED
WO NUMBER
Amsoil
Unidentified
SAE 5W30
Not Applicable
Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si)
Sodium (Na)
Potassium (K) Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 1090
Calcium (Ca) 1376
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 784
Zinc (Zn) 900
Molybdenum (Mo) 253
Boron (B) 384
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 58.8
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.7
Fuel (%) Soot (%) Infrared Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 9.6
Oxidation (Abs/0.1mm)
E2412/D7414

Sorry for the format. Lab was Chevron lubewatch

Now I'm torn between this Amz SS and Schaef's 9000. Now I'm going to need 2 Big Stockings for over the mantle this Christmas Eve.
Santa - are you reading this?...... need 5w30. No leakers either.

Watch - someone in coming weeks will post a VOA of Ravenol DXG 5W30 and my mantle won't hold three Stockings stuffed with 15 quarts of oil.

Looks very strong in the additive pack, I just wonder why their oxidation number is always so high? This ifs from a fill in my wife's car, the sample of Schaeffer 7000 5w30 I did when I serviced my truck showed oxi at 9. Other samples I've run here at work show around 5-9 oxidation too. The lab told me that oxidation around 30 shows that it's time to change the oil.

So the Oxy level was 64 here?
This is something new for me to learn. Will read-up on Oxy this week.

The only other Oxys I can think of are:
Oxy-Clean (Detergent)
Oxycontin (narcotic)

Originally Posted by buster
It's a stout oil. Oxidation shows the presence of an ester.

Exactly right buster ^^^^

Which means Amsoil is a legitimate high level ester oil.

The 1,000+ ppm of Mg is really good because it definitely would help maintain TBN well in long run use.

Originally Posted by buster
It's a stout oil. Oxidation shows the presence of an ester.

So a high oxidation level of 30 is not indicative of a need for an oil change? Does healthy ester content (56) weaken the oil quicker?

Oxidation as a stand alone number shows us nothing about the condition of the oil. As a delta, or difference between virgin and oil in use, some information may be gleaned when compared over time. Oil oxidizes with time, and is accelerated with heat, combustion by products, fuel. Let's say this oil is run 10K miles and the number, just making it up, goes from 64 to 94. OK still doesn't mean a lot, but let's say the next 10K it's 83, then 99, then 87.....and so on, then 3 years down the road you get 150, well maybe you had a fuel dump or something else went wrong.

Ester doesn't weaken the oil - in super simple terms, the ester functional group has oxygen bonded with carbon and it shows up in the FTIR adding to the oxidation number, so to speak.

^right on.

That's why it is ideal to have the virgin oxidation level.

Originally Posted by Pablo
Oxidation as a stand alone number shows us nothing about the condition of the oil. As a delta, or difference between virgin and oil in use, some information may be gleaned when compared over time. Oil oxidizes with time, and is accelerated with heat, combustion by products, fuel. Let's say this oil is run 10K miles and the number, just making it up, goes from 64 to 94. OK still doesn't mean a lot, but let's say the next 10K it's 83, then 99, then 87.....and so on, then 3 years down the road you get 150, well maybe you had a fuel dump or something else went wrong.

Ester doesn't weaken the oil - in super simple terms, the ester functional group has oxygen bonded with carbon and it shows up in the FTIR adding to the oxidation number, so to speak.

Thanks for that explanation. I will forward it on to my lab tech who didn't know there was a link between Esters and the oxi number.

My head hurts from over-thinking this. It's oxidizing my brain. 200mgs of Ester gel-caps may cure it.
crazy2.gif

Thanks Pablo..... from me too. I've never been in a BITOG oxidation discussion here.

Originally Posted by Pablo

You're appealing to my inner organic chem geek!

Pablo,

I know that Signature Series is Amsoil premium product. I have a question about the XL line. All three product lines state 100% synthetic. Does that mean they all share a 100% synthetic base stock and each tier of product has a better or more robust additive pack? I am switching over to Amsoil in my JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 3.6L. I can't decide on XL or Signature Series for the engine. I plan to swap out the differentials and transfer case over to Signature Series gear oil. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Originally Posted by The_Captain
Pablo,

I know that Signature Series is Amsoil premium product. I have a question about the XL line. All three product lines state 100% synthetic. Does that mean they all share a 100% synthetic base stock and each tier of product has a better or more robust additive pack? I am switching over to Amsoil in my JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude 3.6L. I can't decide on XL or Signature Series for the engine. I plan to swap out the differentials and transfer case over to Signature Series gear oil. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Actually I don't think any of the 3 state "100% synthetic". Pretty sure that language isn't used and either way, it's always a matter of semantics, especially in the USA. If talking ONLY about base oils - Sig Series is and XL and OE are IF Group III oils are called synthetic, which in the USA they can be. That said there are NO oils with every oil including the additive carrier oils that are 100% synthetic. This discussion is as old as BITOG, go back and try to find the 20 years of discussions. And guess what, it's silly. It's become pointless and I don't even jump anymore unless someone is attacking and/or just posting garbage about Amsoil. Oils and lubricants are about performance in use, not semantics.

Now is here is the maybe better answer: Sig series uses a mixed Group IV, V synthetic base stock as far as I can tell. OE and XL use Group III base stocks, which are the same, just XL has a better more robust additive package. Look at the properties of Sig and XL/OE and they are different for any given labeled viscosity, so no they aren't the same base oils by inference.

For the new vehicle I recommend OE or XL unless you plan on doing extended oil change intervals after the warranty. Where are you getting your Amsoil?

Both the current product lines of XL and Signature Series both have 100% Synthetic on the label

IMG_20200711_133332__01.jpg

Last edited:
Back