Amsoil S2000 0W30 '99 Honda Civic; full year and 17,000miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I finally Finished out my full year interval for the Amsoil S2000 0W30 I started with on April 30, 2003. The total kms was 27,164 (approx 16,879mi) and the engine had 109,366kms(68000mi) when it was first added to the engine. Did the 6-month change on Oct 30th with a top up litre of oil at that time. I needed to top it up a little too as the car seems to use some. I may cut the filter open later too. The lab is Metro-tech systems in Calgary Alberta.

This car has been run on a K&N air filter for most of it's life but I changed it out for a Wix about 3700kms (2300mi) ago.

Also, I couldn't really afford the acids/bases test right now and that's why they're not present.

My Sample/New stuff
Tin: 6/0
Lead: 21/0
Copper: 4/0
Aluminum: 4/.9
Silicon: 21/2

Iron: 32/3
Chromium: 3/.2
Silver: 0/0
Zinc: 1200/1700
Magnesium: 878/334

Nickel: 1/0
Barium: 0/0
Sodium: 9/3
Calcium: 2000+/3000
Vanadium: 0/0

Phosphorus: 1050/1400
Molybdenum: 10/0
Boron: 31/2
Manganese: 264/1

Viscosity (D445) @100C - 13.77 (new is 10.89)
Water = 0
Solids = 0.1 new = 0
no Fuel Dilution or Glycol

Lab Comments;

"Tests indicate the need to CHANGE OIL & FILTER. Dust/Dirt (B). Cylinders; pistons; rings wear (A). Main or rod bearing wear (B). Maintain routine sampling.

Rating system; A) low
B) low to moderate
C) moderate
D) High
E) severe

I've tried to show exactly what's on this report with some formatting.

What do you folks think?

Greg

[ May 05, 2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Horatio ]

I'd like to but it would nearly double the test price. Wouldn't be a LOT of money but I need to economise where I can right now.

I'll e-mail them and see if it's even an option to get a TBN analysis done now.

Thanks for the reply!

Greg

Really good report for this being 17K miles. Lead, copper and iron are looking very good. That engine likes this stuff. Can see where Amsoil is going with the Calcium, probably because it's cheaper, rather than the moly. Nice dose of zinc though. What I wonder is why did magnesium, boron and manganese go up? Aren't they AW additivies. Magnesium and manganese I don't know, but I'm sure that boron is an additive. I'll bet the TBN would be low since this stuff thickened up over the miles.

Thanks for the replies; this was my first test ever so seeing the phrase "main or rod bearing wear" kind of freaked me out. That's one of the great things about this site; we can get some perspective on stuff like this.

The new oil numbers were from the report. In hindsight I probably should have left them off since the people who would know for sure would be you folks but I wanted to put as much from the report as possible in my post.

A couple of additional things;

This was with a total of 6.5 bottles of Amsoil. ! makeup at the oil change and it turns out the Civic uses a little so I wound up making up about 1.5 bottles of the stuff over the last year.

Also the lab is able to give me the TBN and will be running that test in the next couple of days.

Thanks again all!

Greg

The labs comment about high iron and lead seems inappropriate when you look at the miles, perhaps they are just looking at numbers of ppm and not the miles that the oil has on it. Pretty good I think.
TBN is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back