Amsoil discontinues ACD SAE 30/10w30 HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got an email today that says Amsoil is discontinuing their ACD SAE 30 synthetic oil.

I never tried it, but always thought the specs were impressive. Especially the 4% NOACK rating. I always thought this stuff would be great for a 7.3 or 6.0 powerstroke as they are notorious for shearing multgrade oils.

Anybody ever tried this stuff? Is is worth stocking up before it's all gone?

ACD.jpg

The diminishing sales claim on the notice indicates that it wasn't worth stocking up on before, so that would likely not change now.

Originally Posted by Imp4
The diminishing sales claim on the notice indicates that it wasn't worth stocking up on before, so that would likely not change now.

It's an oil that always catered to an extremely small market, being an SAE 30 that due to its base oil selection also happened to meet the 10W Winter designation. Probably a great oil for generators and other gear that run WOT.

Ive run it in my generator and other OPE. I have a gallon of Delo 15w-30 I'll use next I guess.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Ive run it in my generator and other OPE. I have a gallon of Delo 15w-30 I'll use next I guess.

The HDD is a high tbn oil ( 12.1) . Not as low a noack as the ACD.

HDD 5w30 is what i have in my generator now. I have some high tbn AME 15w40, but i worry about how hard it will be to start a generator in sub 30f weather.

I got the same email around Christmas.

I bought 20 gallons which was all my local warehouse had in stock at that time.

A couple buddies have HEUI Ferds, and they want to grab it from me as it works really well in their trucks.

Another CI4 oil bites the dust, wonder if there's compilance pressure to discontinue high ash oil? or simply lack of sales volume?
Unfortunate I always wanted to try this oil in my ecodiesel.

Never saw steller UOA results from ACD, but never saw enough UOA data to make a consensus.

Originally Posted by Fraser434
Another CI4 oil bites the dust, wonder if there's compilance pressure to discontinue high ash oil? or simply lack of sales volume?

Never saw steller UOA results from ACD, but never saw enough UOA data to make a consensus.

I wonder if i should stock up a bit on the HDD, in case it gets the axe next. Any reason it would not be good in a generator like the ACD? It's a CI4.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1301.pdf

Originally Posted by Fraser434

The low ash formulations really are only necessary for 2 strokes and that's because they literally consume so much oil, especially during extended idling (ie: standby operation of train locomotives or gensets) where there are very real issues with carbon deposits forming in exhaust manifold FOD'ing the turbocharger when the engine finally is put under load.

Suspect this was simply a product line simplification exercise.

Always wanted to try this oil in my 05 PSD with the 6.0. I was told it was phenomenal oil for these HEUI systems... I just can't justify the cost, shipping and hassle to get Amsoil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back