Amsoil difference: SVG 75w-90 vs AGL 80w-90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for fluids for my front differential. Jeep Wrangler JKU Dana 30 front high-pinion, non-locker. Rear Dana 44 that I'm using SVG 75w-110in. I'm timid about changing the front away from a mineral based lube simply because it's a high pinion and I'm not convinced synthetics do all that well in that type of setup from what I've read. What's the difference between SVG 75w-90 and the AGL 80w-90 other than the obvious weight. I know the AGL is aimed at applications that call for conventional gear lubes. Is that strictly a seal compatibility thing or is there more to it? Would one work better in my front diff setup?

It is mostly a DD Jeep (12-15k) but it does wheel about 3-5 times a year so that's a consideration. 2.5 lift and 35" tires.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
I'm timid about changing the front away from a mineral based lube simply because it's a high pinion and I'm not convinced synthetics do all that well in that type of setup from what I've read.

Can you post some references to this?

Thanks.

Turk, think turning a diff upside down, and running in reverse at road speed.

Pinion above the oil level, and being lubricated by oil dragged up from the ring gear.

Nasty application IMO, particularly in cases with manual hubs.

That being said, I can only think that the difference in field service COULD be lack of VII...don't know .

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Pinion above the oil level, and being lubricated by oil dragged up from the ring gear.

That being said, I can only think that the difference in field service COULD be lack of VII...don't know .

Right, I know.
smile.gif
I'd like to see the references.

I've seen a lot of controversy on synthetic vs. conventional gear oil. Seen a lot of rear end guys including some very well reputed shops swear by conventional. One reason I see cited over and over is that the conventional leads to cooler r&p temps. I don't have any real info, and I'm not sure what to make of it but this is what I hear a lot from people who have done a lot of rear end work professionally.

FWIW the only unexplained rear end issues I've ever had were with synthetic gear lube. It was Mobil 1 in a Ford 8.8 which blew a rear wheel seal and bearing for unknown reasons shortly after I rebuilt the clutch packs and put the M1 in. Single data point with too many variables but just saying.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Right, I know.
smile.gif

Just lots of reading on various Jeep forums and also that lots of the reputable axle builders that specialize in high-pinion offset axles (Currie, Martin, True Hi-9, etc) all are ADAMANT about using a mineral based GL-5 oil and some even go so far as to say synthetic voids all warranties. Is is a lube thing? Don't know. These guys tend to operate on cause/effect, and it seems that they see a higher than normal amount of failures when people use synthetic lubes, hence their warranty stance.

On top of that, Amsoil has their own niche product for such applications: SAE 190 & SAE 250 racing gear lubes.

From their own description:

"AMSOIL Severe Gear EP Synthetic 190 & 250 Racing Gear Lube is specifically engineered for high-horsepower, high-torque conditions where centrifugal gear lube sling-off is encountered. This tenacious formulation clings to gears and bearings for maximum protection during shock loading, high G-forces and where pinion gears are installed at steep angles. Severe Gear provides exceptional reliability and extended gear life.

-Protects gears from shock loading and tire shake
-Resists sling-off from G-forces and high speeds
-Clings to gears—high pinion style and at steep angles
-Promotes cooler operating temperatures
-Protects against rust and corrosion
-Extends gear and bearing life"

Now why would they chose to specifically highlight that aspect if all the other ranges of Severe Gear (75w90, 75w110, & 75W140) do the same thing? They don't list these benefits on the Severe Gear pages.

Again, I'm a young pup when it comes to understanding all this, hence why I asked the question. I'm all ears for somebody to set me straight.

Looking for fluids for my front differential. Jeep Wrangler JKU Dana 30 front high-pinion, non-locker. Rear Dana 44 that I'm using SVG 75w-110in. I'm timid about changing the front away from a mineral based lube simply because it's a high pinion and I'm not convinced synthetics do all that well in that type of setup from what I've read. What's the difference between SVG 75w-90 and the AGL 80w-90 other than the obvious weight. I know the AGL is aimed at applications that call for conventional gear lubes. Is that strictly a seal compatibility thing or is there more to it? Would one work better in my front diff setup?

It is mostly a DD Jeep (12-15k) but it does wheel about 3-5 times a year so that's a consideration. 2.5 lift and 35" tires.

Thanks

I don't know of many diffys that DON"T have a relatively high pinion position.

I would run a 75W110 in both differentials since you get a thicker film at higher temps and the benefit of low temperature fluidity.

In my view, the SVG has better "climbing" abilities than does the AGL because of its modern additive package and mix of synthetic base oils.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Right, I know.
smile.gif

Just lots of reading on various Jeep forums and also that lots of the reputable axle builders that specialize in high-pinion offset axles (Currie, Martin, True Hi-9, etc) all are ADAMANT about using a mineral based GL-5 oil and some even go so far as to say synthetic voids all warranties. Is is a lube thing? Don't know. These guys tend to operate on cause/effect, and it seems that they see a higher than normal amount of failures when people use synthetic lubes, hence their warranty stance.

On top of that, Amsoil has their own niche product for such applications: SAE 190 & SAE 250 racing gear lubes.

"AMSOIL Severe Gear EP Synthetic 190 & 250 Racing Gear Lube is specifically engineered for high-horsepower, high-torque conditions where centrifugal gear lube sling-off is encountered. This tenacious formulation clings to gears and bearings for maximum protection during shock loading, high G-forces and where pinion gears are installed at steep angles. Severe Gear provides exceptional reliability and extended gear life.

Now why would they chose to specifically highlight that aspect if all the other ranges of Severe Gear (75w90, 75w110, & 75W140) do the same thing? They don't list these benefits on the Severe Gear pages.

Again, I'm a young pup when it comes to understanding all this, hence why I asked the question. I'm all ears for somebody to set me straight.

But the OP is talking about a vehicle for use in off-roading, not racing.

Different lubes for different applications.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would run a 75W110 in both differentials since you get a thicker film at higher temps and the benefit of low temperature fluidity.

I shouldn't have read this thread, now you've got me 2nd-guessing my choice to go with Amsoil SVG 75W-90 in my JK's front/rear differentials...

I would suppose so, and the axle builders' grounds are valid in my view.

Let's say the factory recommends mineral 80W90 (which is an AGMA 4EP/ISO 150 gear oils) or mineral SAE 90 (which could be an AGMA 5EP/ISO 220 gear oils).

When one uses synthetic 75W90 (which typically is a 3EP/ISO 100 gear oils) , couple with 'severe' duty such as off road, frequent start and stop, high ambient etc , it's operating viscosity is low enough to cause mechanical issues for that application, within a 'short' duration after rebuild that the rebuilders somehow can't evade his promise of warranty/responsibility.

The problem here is we humans think 75W90, 80W90 and SAE 90 gear oils are the same.But the hypoid/spiral bevel gears are saying otherwise , IMHO.
blush.gif

Amsoil SRN SAE 190 has a KV@40*C of 381.6 cSt , which falls in between 6EP/ISO 320 (whose KV@40*C range from 288 cSt to 352 cSt) and 7EP/ISO 460 (whose KV@40*C range from 414 to 506 cSt)

Amsoil SRT SAE 250 has a KV@40*C of 493.8 cSt, complying with 7EP/ISO 460 gear oil specs.

Try re-read the above Amsoil statements in the context of differing KV@40*C viscosities of 75W90,mineral 80W90, mineral SAE 90,75W110, 75W140, SAE 190 and SAE 250 gear oils .............. that might help.
wink.gif

JMHO.

Last edited:
I should have read your post, and let it sink in for a few minutes before commenting...

JKU (4500lbs. stock)
Dana 30
35" tires

High-pinion version or not, that axle is quite outmatched here; time would be considerably better spent strengthening it vs. fretting over lubricants.

Originally Posted By: zeng
When one uses synthetic 75W90 (which typically is a 3EP/ISO 100 gear oils) , couple with 'severe' duty such as off road, frequent start and stop, high ambient etc , it's operating viscosity is low enough to cause mechanical issues for that application, within a 'short' duration after rebuild that the rebuilders somehow can't evade his promise of warranty/responsibility.

I would suppose so, and the axle builders' grounds are valid in my view.

I don't follow, and how are they valid???

If the viscosity is too low to provide a sufficient film for the loads involved, increase the viscosity of the GL-5 gear lube to 75W110, whether synthetic or mineral oil based lubes.

So what tribological reason do the diffy builders give for preferring mineral oils over synthetics? I can't see any reason myself.

I can see using a mineral oil for run-in for economical reasons, but can't see any reason for NOT using synthetics after run-in.

Last edited:
So what tribological reason do the diffy builders give for preferring mineral oils over synthetics? I can't see any reason myself.

I've often wondered this myself, but some (Auburn Gear) still maintain to absolutely NOT use synthetics in their diffs, while others may fess up that they just have not tested synthetics in their units (like Eaton Posi), so to be safe(?) they suggest the use of mineral based gear oils.
21.gif

But yes, again, NO tribological/mechanical interface reasons to not use synthetics, except that they are "too slippery". LOL

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I've often wondered this myself, but some (Auburn Gear) still maintain to absolutely NOT use synthetics in their diffs, while others may fess up that they just have not tested synthetics in their units (like Eaton Posi), so to be safe(?) they suggest the use of mineral based gear oils.
21.gif

But yes, again, NO tribological/mechanical interface reasons to not use synthetics, except that they are "too slippery". LOL
They probably see no reason to spend any time or effort testing syn gear oil when conventional works fine. Property maintained differentials don't tend to wear out very often. I doubt they have a lot of people demanding they spec $15/qt oil when $15/gal stuff works great.

35" tires and a Dana 30... good catch RambleJam

Use a full synthetic 75w140 GL5 gear oil of any brand in both front/rear diffs.

You have issues that fluid won't fix so quit worrying about all the bogus hearsay.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
35" tires and a Dana 30... good catch RambleJam

Use a full synthetic 75w140 GL5 gear oil of any brand in both front/rear diffs.

You have issues that fluid won't fix so quit worrying about all the bogus hearsay.

I've already had c gussets and axle tubes done by a local shop. Way cheaper than swapping a D44 or 60. I know it won't survive heavy wheeling for long, but I'm attempting to keep it intact for the time being since it's mostly a daily driver. Still on stock 3.73s, next upgrade is 4.88s. I'm not going taller than 35s for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I've seen a lot of controversy on synthetic vs. conventional gear oil. Seen a lot of rear end guys including some very well reputed shops swear by conventional. One reason I see cited over and over is that the conventional leads to cooler r&p temps. I don't have any real info, and I'm not sure what to make of it but this is what I hear a lot from people who have done a lot of rear end work professionally.

FWIW the only unexplained rear end issues I've ever had were with synthetic gear lube. It was Mobil 1 in a Ford 8.8 which blew a rear wheel seal and bearing for unknown reasons shortly after I rebuilt the clutch packs and put the M1 in. Single data point with too many variables but just saying.

You dump in synthetic 75W90 in a rear diff with clutch packs?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng

You dump in synthetic 75W90 in a rear diff with clutch packs?
crazy2.gif

Nothing wrong with putting synthetic gear lube in a differential with clutch packs as long as the lube has LSD additive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back