Amsoil Bypass Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdv

I plan on installing the dual remote bypass system (BMK-13)on a 1990 BMW 325is and was trying to decide where to locate it. Has anyone here installed this on an E30? I have a couple of ideas, but am always open to suggestions.

One thing that bothers me, but is unavoidable, is the lines will have to run extremely close to the exhaust manifold. Stupid place for BMW to put an oil filter if you ask me.

Thanks for any input.

You shouldn't have any problem in looping the lines away from the manifold - as far as placement of teh head, can you show us a picture of the engine compartment?

Okay, here are a few pics. They're not the best, I found them on the internet, as I don't have a digital camera. The only difference in the pics and my car is the coolant recovery bottle. In my car, it's on the other side of the engine.

-

-

I thing ideally, I would like to place it on that shelf labeled location 1. My other thought was to remove the washer fluid bottle and place the filters there. To run the lines to the shelf, I would have to bring them straight back from the stock mount to the firewall and then over. Sorry I don't have pics of it, but they will be running directly under the exhaust manifold. If I use Location 2, I will have to bring a line out of the mount and turn it at a very acute angle to reach the location. I've never installed one of these before, so I am unsure as to how much of a turn I can use without causing pressure/volume problems. I also don't know how I'm going to support the lines as they run towards the firewall. This install is going to be an interesting experience to say the least. Thanks for everyone's help.

[ December 05, 2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: mdv ]

Here are my thoughts - if this was my vehicle I would not bother with the dual remote. I would save the money and use a bypass filter only, which would allow the use of a single, smaller line to the filter head from the sender. Location 1 would work just fine - the line could come off the pressure sender, loop forward toward the radiator and then follow the A/C(?) line above the washer bottle & shock mount to location 1. A #4 hyd. line is all that is required for this. The easiest place to dump the oil back to the engine is at the rear corner of the valve cover, but as Ralph pointed out in another post, there is a potential for a problem with that.

I have a very similar setup to this on my Volvo 740 (oil filter under exhaust manifold) and have not had any problems with the line deterioration from heat. I also have not had any problems with dumping oil back to the valve cover.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
Here are my thoughts - if this was my vehicle I would not bother with the dual remote. I would save the money and use a bypass filter only, which would allow the use of a single, smaller line to the filter head from the sender. Location 1 would work just fine - the line could come off the pressure sender, loop forward toward the radiator and then follow the A/C(?) line above the washer bottle & shock mount to location 1. A #4 hyd. line is all that is required for this. The easiest place to dump the oil back to the engine is at the rear corner of the valve cover, but as Ralph pointed out in another post, there is a potential for a problem with that.

I have a very similar setup to this on my Volvo 740 (oil filter under exhaust manifold) and have not had any problems with the line deterioration from heat. I also have not had any problems with dumping oil back to the valve cover.

Tommy,
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea about looping the line towards the radiator, I hadn't thought about that.

I don't think the car would diesel if I returned the oil into the valve cover at that location, but I would be more comfortable running the line back up to the oil fill cap. I don't think that should be much more of a problem.

I will be sure to post pictures after the install, I just have to find a camera to borrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back