Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Originally Posted by madeej11
Not to put a damper on a great thread harry but why are you posting in such a strange format? I keep thinking you're starting a new paragraph yet it's in the middle of a sentence. Never seen that one before. Anyway harry, keep on keepin' on. By the way, I'm also an Amsoil fanboy, great stuff. Cheers!

Failed English.

Originally Posted by harry j
JLTD, Transmission fluid is changed at the same time as the oil, it takes 3 qts.

Thanks --So is that about every 40,000 miles?

Miles on Civic--555,621
Miles on oil--6,307
Amsoil 0W-30 AZO
Amsoil EA15K20
Twin Filtermag CT3.2's
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
5 ozs Liquimoly
24 ozs make up oil

Blackstone Labs; It looks like the new head gasket was exactly what the doctor ordered for this Civic. Both Potassium and Sodium
are much lower. Note also the improvement in iron, though it was on it's way to being lower last time too. The lack of coolant in the oil is
certainly a good thing when it comes to getting even more miles out of the engine. The other metals are low and steady, just like we're used
to seeing. TBN shows active additive left and the ISO Cleanliness Code read 15/14/11, a little cleaner than last time. The air and oil
filters kept silicon and insoluble low.

Code:
Aluminum---------3-----------------------------------4 universal average based on 5,900 miles
Chromium--------0------------------------------------1
Iron-----------------5------------------------------------9
Copper------------1------------------------------------3
Lead---------------1------------------------------------2
Tin------------------1------------------------------------1
Molybdenum-----379---------------------------------87
Nickel--------------0-------------------------------------0
Manganese-------0------------------------------------0
Silver---------------0------------------------------------0
Titanium-----------0------------------------------------1
Potassium---------9------------------------------------4
Boron--------------84------------------------------------51
Silicon-------------15------------------------------------11
Sodium------------25------------------------------------43
Calcium-----------1300----------------------------------2127
Magnesium-------1000---------------------------------157
Phosphorus-------740-----------------------------------713
Zinc------------------840-----------------------------------833
Barium--------------0---------------------------------------0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F------------------58.7-----------------------57-67 values should be
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C--------------------9.85-----------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F------------------------------395----------------------->385
Fuel %-----------------------------------------0.5----------------------- Antifreeze%----------------------------------0.0------------------------0.0
Water %---------------------------------------0.0----------------------- Insolubles-------------------------------------0.2------------------------ TBN---------------------------------------------5.7------------------------ TAN-----------------------------------------------NOT DONE

Particle counts for ISO Oil Cleanliness code 15/14/11'

>=2 microns-------436 particles
>=5-------------------161
>=10-----------------45
>=15-----------------17
>=25-----------------4
>=50-----------------0
>=100---------------0

The new head gasket did wonders!

air filter- AFE Dry Flow

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oliveoil
Looks fine if you want to milk it along. I'm sure a me head gasket would cure the problem.

You hit the nail on the head oliveoil !

Just passed 901,000 km, going for a million.

I just realized that in kilometers, my car is pretty much right at 1 million.

Hey, does anyone know what has happened to Trav? I sent 4 fuel injectors to be reconditioned on the 9th and here it is the 22nd.

I noticed that Trav has not posted anything since the 15th, very unusual.

Harry this thread is awesome thanks for starting and keeping up with it. Helps me learn a lot about detecting problems using oil analysis which is pretty incredible. I noticed your oil flash point tends to be all over the place sometimes even if you're not having fuel dilution issues, why is that? Or maybe that's normal?

Originally Posted by oakaro68
I noticed your oil flash point tends to be all over the place sometimes even if you're not having fuel dilution issues, why is that? Or maybe that's normal?

If it isn't fuel dilution then there are two possible reasons. Flash point is a very subjective test even with the proper ASTM equipment. The second is that Blackstone has proven to be unable to properly determine the value.

Harry this thread is awesome thanks for starting and keeping up with it. Helps me learn a lot about detecting problems using oil analysis which is pretty incredible. I noticed your oil flash point tends to be all over the place sometimes even if you're not having fuel dilution issues, why is that? Or maybe that's normal?

My thoughts on the oil flash point are perhaps the inconsistency of sample taking and how long the car sits before an oil change.
If the fuel injectors have any sort of fuel leak, that will effect the flash point. The fuel will be stronger near the top of the oil sump
than at the bottom, so sampling at the same point in the oil drain is important.

thankyou for those kind words oakaro68

My thoughts on the oil flash point are perhaps the inconsistency of sample taking and how long the car sits before an oil change.
If the fuel injectors have any sort of fuel leak, that will effect the flash point. The fuel will be stronger near the top of the oil sump
than at the bottom, so sampling at the same point in the oil drain is important.

thankyou for those kind words oakaro68

Do you run the engine for a while before taking your sample to get everything moving around or no?

I drive about 20 miles to the Honda dealer. If they get to it right away, the leaky fuel injector won't get a chance to get into the oil.

I wouldn't bet on it. My uncle thought the same thing with a leaky injector on his 4.8 LS engine in his C1500... and ended up with a 4-piece connecting rod to show for it.

Ah yes, the dreaded hydro-lock. I am just waiting for Trav to return the set of injectors I sent him on October 9th.

Trav sent the original refurbished fuel injectors and I couldn't be happier. The 1.5 liter engine runs very smoothly, Trav did a super job-he is highly recommended.

Trav sent the original refurbished fuel injectors and I couldn't be happier. The 1.5 liter engine runs very smoothly, Trav did a super job-he is highly recommended.

Could you tell me the name of Trav's company. I have a set of injectors that need refurbishing. Thanks.

The name of the company is Hurst Injector Service.
Phone # 878-516-006
Address 125 East St, Fitchburg, MA 01420

it is 73$ for a set of four shipping included.

Last edited:
Miles on Civic--562,042/904,518 km
miles on oil--6,421
Amsoil AZO 0W-30
oil filter Royal Purple 10-2808
Dual Filtermag CT3.2s
Dimple Magnetic oil drain plug
5ozs LiquiMoly
41ozs makeup oil

Blackstone Labs; Antifreeze continues to wash out, seen in further potassium/sodium reduction, so it looks like
the new head gasket is holding up well. Wear metals are mostly consistent with last time, but iron jumped up a bit isn't suggestive
of excess steel wear at 14 ppm and it's still close enough to universal averages (9) to avoid a highlight. Maybe a change in
use explains it, like more idling this run. Fuel was found at 0.5% which is harmless and didn't thin the oil. TBN was 4.5
and the ISO oil cleanliness Code read 15/14/11, so another clean sample with remaining additive, Nicely done!

Code:

Aluminum------------------3----------------4 (universal average based on 5,900 OCI)
Chromium------------------1----------------1
Iron---------------------------14--------------9
Copper----------------------2----------------3
Lead-------------------------1----------------2
Tin----------------------------0----------------1
Molybdenum---------------285-------------87
Nickel------------------------0-----------------0
Manganese-----------------0-----------------0
Silver-------------------------0-----------------0
Titanium---------------------0-----------------1
Potassium-------------------8----------------4
Boron-------------------------62---------------51
Silicon------------------------9-----------------11
Sodium-----------------------14---------------42
Calcium-----------------------1209-----------2123
Magnesium ------------------920-------------160
Phosphorus------------------708--------------713
Zinc----------------------------795--------------833
Barium-------------------------0-----------------0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F-----61---------------57-67 (values should be)
cSt Viscosity @ 100C-------10.50-----------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F-----------------375------------->385
Fuel %----------------------------0.5------------- Antifreeze %--------------------0-----------------0
Water %--------------------------0----------------- Insolubles %---------------------0.3-------------- TBN---------------------------------4.5------------->1.0

Particle counts for ISO Code 15/14/11;

>= 2 microns----329 particles
>=5-----------------122
>=10---------------34
>=15---------------13
>=25---------------3
>=50---------------0
>=100-------------0

Note: excess gas found in oil is due to a leaky set of fuel injectors that is now remedied thanks to Trav and the
awesome job he did reconditioning them.

[Linked Image]

Back