Amount Of Ammo You Consider Adequate?

I recently decided to sell my 'oddball' pistols and now own two and carry one full-size S&W pistol in 40S&W.. I had previously chosen, after testing (over the last 20 years or so) MANY different type of Personal-Defense cartridges, Federal HST as the best-performing and most-reliable PD ammunition, so I'm buying more of that, even if the prices are high and availability low.. I'll end up with around 6K* in the safe, plenty enough to practice with for the rest of my life (I'm 76 years old**).

And just as there's no such thing as having too much money or a reloader having too many empty cases, there's no such thing as having too much ammo if one can store it safely.

* Highest price was about $700 per K or 70 cents each.. The sale of two pistols funded the purchase price of the ammo.
** and my children will inherit and appreciate whatever I leave for them :)

Last edited:
I live on acerage and can shoot behind my home. I had family over for the 4th and thought I had enough 9mm and.22 ammo. Burned through three packs of 325 rounds of Federal .22LR and four 50 round boxes of 9mm CCI Blazer Brass.

With the current prices of ammo being outrageous right now, how much do you think is not enough, and too much (If there CAN be too much)?
I have only added a few boxes here and there lately, but I think I have enough to hold me over until the prices start going down again.
Like I always say,
"How many is too many guns?"
"How much is too much ammo?"
I wouldn't be paying top dollar to stock up on ammo. If you cannot get the job done with a box or two, you are in way over your head anyway.

I took a count yesterday before going to the range...

1,400 rounds of 7.62x39
1,120 rounds of 7.62x54R
350 rounds of 5.56mm
250 rounds of 9mm
250 rounds of .22lr
80 rounds of .380 auto
40 rounds of 30-30
25 rounds of 30-06
25 rounds of 12ga #6 birdshot
25 rounds of 12ga #1 buckshot

I'm not stockpiling for any sort of apocalypse or anything. My wife and I both go to the range fairly often so whenever I happen to find some ammo on sale, I go ahead and grab it because I know we'll go through it eventually. My wife is coming around to pistols lately so I'm going to have to find more .380 and 9mm soon. I keep 1 box of hollow points in 9mm for CWP.

I took a count yesterday before going to the range...

1,400 rounds of 7.62x39
1,120 rounds of 7.62x54R
350 rounds of 5.56mm
250 rounds of 9mm
250 rounds of .22lr
80 rounds of .380 auto
40 rounds of 30-30
25 rounds of 30-06
25 rounds of 12ga #6 birdshot
25 rounds of 12ga #1 buckshot

I'm not stockpiling for any sort of apocalypse or anything. My wife and I both go to the range fairly often so whenever I happen to find some ammo on sale, I go ahead and grab it because I know we'll go through it eventually. My wife is coming around to pistols lately so I'm going to have to find more .380 and 9mm soon. I keep 1 box of hollow points in 9mm for CWP.
What are you going to do next, tell everyone where you are holed up?

There are a few things I really try to avoid posting anywhere; how many guns I own, how much ammo I keep, how much money I have.

My neighbors don’t know, and don’t need to know. I certainly don’t want anonymous folks to know, either.

It’s tempting for me to reveal, and discuss, for example, the particulars of my portfolio, if I’m trying to make an argument about how to invest. But then I realize that I don’t want actual people to know that about me, because I wouldn’t tell anyone those details in person, and that I’ve been lured into a false sense of security by the specious anonymity of an Internet forum...

There are a few things I really try to avoid posting anywhere; how many guns I own, how much ammo I keep, how much money I have.

My neighbors don’t know, and don’t need to know. I certainly don’t want anonymous folks to know, either.

It’s tempting for me to reveal, and discuss, for example, the particulars of my portfolio, if I’m trying to make an argument about how to invest. But then I realize that I don’t want actual people to know that about me, because I wouldn’t tell anyone those details in person, and that I’ve been lured into a false sense of security by the specious anonymity of an Internet forum...
I agree. It's asking for trouble.

Oh, I get you, but another part of me is apathetic. The government already knows all the things.

What is an adequate amount? "More."

I wouldn't want to burden the executor of my estate with having to do a firesale on ammo, but after watching for the last decade it does seem like a good idea to have a couple year's of ammo on hand.

What is an adequate amount? "More."

I wouldn't want to burden the executor of my estate with having to do a firesale on ammo, but after watching for the last decade it does seem like a good idea to have a couple year's of ammo on hand.

Well then pick an executor that's a gun enthusiast thrust me it won't be a burden. Oh and Government won't have any real proof where all that ammo went.

Back