Amazon sneakingly extends delivery date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the (obviously quietly) bumped Prime to 1 day shipping a few months back....

I would think any delays right now would be from the obvious glut of holiday shipping... but maybe not so to everyone...( not meant as a slight to anyone)

Originally Posted by earlyre
I thought the (obviously quietly) bumped Prime to 1 day shipping a few months back....

Prime shipping is (2) days (or less). Anything quicker is a "freebie". Some markets, with some items, have 1-day delivery and even same-day delivery. Amazon has to advertise the ship time as the worst case scenario.

The thing is, Amazon is also degrading service for those without prime, trying to encourage people to have it.

It has happened to me multiple times but the latest example is I placed an order (without Prime) for something two weeks before Christmas. It was out of stock but projected in-stock in a week. Sure enough in a week the product was in-stock and Amazon showing that you could get it in 2 days with Prime.

It stayed in stock. Days go by but they did not ship it. Finally over a week after they had more stock, they ship it to me and guess what? THEN it only took 2 more days to get here.

If the product hadn't been available for 2 day prime for that week, I could understand that. I can even understand a Christmas backlog, but it happens at all times of year. Product gets ordered, is in stock, but they wait several days to ship, so that it won't arrive before their longer (than w/o prime) projected delivery date.

Fortunately I am seldom in a hurry for things.

Last edited:
In the last 4 months I have not received any item in 2 days. 4-5 days was more like it. I cancelled my prime. There are many sellers on Amazon that have the same items and have free shipping and are faster then prime.

Phone call or chat. They have great customer service. Complaining to people with no power to change does little good. Prime around me is faster lately. Many things are 1 day now. You must be in a low demand area.

Yes, I have had that happen a few times this year. We're not talking about out of stock items that say they will ship in 2-3 weeks or whatever. These are in stock items where it states the guaranteed delivery date at the checkout page. I have probably received about as many packages earlier than the stated date so it kind of balances out, but it can be aggravating when you need something and it gets delayed to the following week.

Originally Posted by Dave9
The thing is, Amazon is also degrading service for those without prime, trying to encourage people to have it.

....is in stock, but they wait several days to ship, so that it won't arrive before their longer (than w/o prime) projected delivery date.

They've always done it this way when you don't have Prime. Prime offers benefits to customers over non-Prime customers. It's pretty simple....

Originally Posted by mclasser
I have Prime and have lately noticed this. I order something and it initially says guaranteed Prime Friday delivery. I check back a few hours later and it becomes Saturday, even Sunday. In the past, Amazon would give a message saying something like sorry, delivery is delayed, we apologize, etc, etc. Now, they just quietly delay, not to mention, 2-day Prime is barely a thing anymore.

Anybody else notice this?

Its holiday season. Stuff is janky. I'm not too stressed and save tons using prime, so I wont cancel it just due to being a day off or whatever.

I was skeptical at first, particularly since I don't order that many things online. But somehow I got enrolled on the pay by month plan where they charged my credit card. I was going to cancel it, but by the time I got around to it I realized how convenient it was along with super fast deliveries. I ordered a marine hand held radio one afternoon and it was delivered by 9:00 the next morning.

It isn't always 2 day, but usually pretty fast.

What I have noticed a lot of lately is that Amazon is not even shipping my stuff in a timely manner.
Yesterday I ordered a new wireless router at noon, said will be delivered Friday. Fine. Yet I just got my e-mail saying item has been shipped and will be here tomorrow (Friday). It they had shipped it yesterday, it could have been here today.
I keep hearing about many getting 1 day delivery, but even though I am about 6 miles from a major Amazon warehouse, and 15 miles from another, 2 days (from order date) is the fastest I get my stuff.

Originally Posted by blupupher
What I have noticed a lot of lately is that Amazon is not even shipping my stuff in a timely manner.
Yesterday I ordered a new wireless router at noon, said will be delivered Friday. Fine. Yet I just got my e-mail saying item has been shipped and will be here tomorrow (Friday). It they had shipped it yesterday, it could have been here today.
You realize that you're not the only person that placed an order with Amazon that day ? They pick, package, and ship items in order that they receive them (generally).

I keep hearing about many getting 1 day delivery, but even though I am about 6 miles from a major Amazon warehouse, and 15 miles from another, 2 days (from order date) is the fastest I get my stuff.

Doesn't matter where the warehouse is. That one, believe it or not, might not cover your area (yet). They have a warehouse 15 miles from me but my orders seem to come from their warehouse 60 miles away. Actually, they go from that 60 mile away warehouse to their delivery hub 12 miles away.

They said you'll get it Friday, you were okay with that, you ordered, and you're still complaining about getting it Friday?

I live by several Amazon warehouses; 1 of them is a big one about 5 miles away. I can get same or 1-day deliveries at no extra charge to my house on a lot of Prime stuff but my work that's 20 miles away from the warehouse normally doesn't have the same same/1-day benefits. That's fine, considering it's not easy getting shipments into the city during the work hours anyways.

We have found Amazon deliveries to be timely and reliable.

I don't typically order time-sensitive items via mail order, though.

Yesterday's delivery included its usual e-mail notification as well as a photograph of the parcels on the front porch (a first for us)!

I'm not a Prime member but I can't really complain about the delivery time. With one exception, I've received what I've ordered by the estimated delivery date; ironically, the one missed date was one which I'd paid for expedited shipping and that was refunded when I complained. As others have stated, I don't order time-sensitive items from Amazon so that may be why I don't notice the issue.

Now one thing that did irk me this holiday season is that there aren't many Amazon Lockers in the area and seems like they caught on quickly because I couldn't get free locker delivery after the start of December. Delivery to the house was still free but if I wanted to use the locker, they would offer "guaranteed delivery" at an inflated price - so I'm guessing that for the right price, they would delay someone else's locker delivery to accommodate me.

Needless to say, I passed. As luck would have it, I worked remotely for most of December and was at the house when packages arrived.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Maybe you should sneakily cancel your subscription.
It's the only way Bezos will listen to you.

Better to just cancel Amazon all together. Have not shopped there or their subsidiaries in years and don't miss it one bit. If you can only get it on Amazon you don't need it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

....is in stock, but they wait several days to ship, so that it won't arrive before their longer (than w/o prime) projected delivery date.

They've always done it this way when you don't have Prime. Prime offers benefits to customers over non-Prime customers. It's pretty simple....

No, they haven't. There was a time when amazon shipped orders as received, as most internet sellers do, not trying to deliberately penalize buyers for not having a special shipping service.

This is very much a deliberate attempt by amazon to screw with people, and is not at all what they claim about shipping when they deliberately CHOOSE to hold off shipping.

It's far more simple than you pretend. You order, and the seller ships the item expediently, then whatever shipping method you chose or qualify for is used.

Deliberately choosing not to ship an item immediately, is borderline criminal. In no case ever, did I want a contract purchase where the seller opts to just hold onto the item until they felt it was most advantageous to them to send it.

No. Anyone as massive as amazon who has the facilities and means, and deliberately choosing to take money without sending the item paid for, is operating outside of established laws and it is only a matter of laws catching up to them.

Last edited:
Prime delivery is most likely the culprit.

Whenever they miss the 2 day delivery it's 9/10 prime delivery instead of UPS or Fedex. The only time I've had issues with Amazon delivery by USPS was when there's a government shutdown. they stole my package.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

No, they haven't. There was a time when amazon shipped orders as received, as most internet sellers do, not trying to deliberately penalize buyers for not having a special shipping service.

This is very much a deliberate attempt by amazon to screw with people, and is not at all what they claim about shipping when they deliberately CHOOSE to hold off shipping.

It's far more simple than you pretend. You order, and the seller ships the item expediently, then whatever shipping method you chose or qualify for is used.

Deliberately choosing not to ship an item immediately, is borderline criminal. In no case ever, did I want a contract purchase where the seller opts to just hold onto the item until they felt it was most advantageous to them to send it.

No. Anyone as massive as amazon who has the facilities and means, and deliberately choosing to take money without sending the item paid for, is operating outside of established laws and it is only a matter of laws catching up to them.

I don't have prime. The ONLY times they haven't shipped my packages immediately is when I've selected the "group my items together" option, which it usually defaulted to.

I forgot I had a month of prime.... but this is what it usually shows for me.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I don't have prime. The ONLY times they haven't shipped my packages immediately is when I've selected the "group my items together" option, which it usually defaulted to.

It has happened to me dozens if not hundreds of times.

It is very much provable, when the item is in stock and they offer 2nd day shipping with prime but then you order it and they don't ship it for several days.

This is a very obvious decision on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back