Amazon Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a pair of insulated jeans from Amazon, and they arrived today in a HUGE box, big enough to hold a large microwave oven. And as is often the case with Amazon, the packaging tape was barely adhering to the cardboard. Doesn't Amazon train their packagers?

Packagers at Amazon fulfillment centers have to pack X number of boxes per hour- typically a pace that pushes the limit of human abilities. I'm guessing if they grab the wrong sized box, they just send it instead of wasting precious seconds grabbing a more appropriate size.

You would think they would have this down to a science by now. Op is a brave man buying jeans on line without trying on. But maybe you are an easy to fit guy
smile.gif

Then there is Mcdonalds waste in packaging. I need 4 McNuggets in a cardboard recloseable box.
I meed med fries for almost 3 dollars in a cardboard sleeve.

We have learned nothing or more correctly forgot everything about trash waste from 40 years ago.

I guess its just a IDK U.S.A. brat race.

saddening for me.

I heard sometimes they'll use a particular size box, even if it is too big so it fits better on the truck. That being said... I once ordered a 6" Starrett scale. It came in a box filled that was like 18x12x8 and filled with those bagged air things
lol.gif

I am surprised that Amazon hasn't figured out how to have some sort of reusable packaging. Something like a Rubbermaid container where they come by and pick them up or you can drop them off at a Amazon Locker location.

I have received many small items shipped in over sized boxes from Amazon. I always wonder, what in the world were they thinking.

Originally Posted by Bud
I have received many small items shipped in over sized boxes from Amazon. I always wonder, what in the world were they thinking.

At least you got a box...They shipped my Xbox one this past week in no box...they just slapped the mailing label on the console.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I am surprised that Amazon hasn't figured out how to have some sort of reusable packaging. Something like a Rubbermaid container where they come by and pick them up or you can drop them off at a Amazon Locker location.

I think they either have that or are trialing it. The amount of cardboard boxes Amazon uses is staggering. Reusable plastic bins would work.

They also promote Amazon day so you can order and have it all come on one day instead of several. You pick the day.

With porch pirates proliferating, this makes sense if your deliver day is your day off for example.

Ive bought things that were barely bigger than a pack of gum or deck of cards and they shipped it in a 11x14 envelope.Bit over kill. Had things come in a box that was way bigger than it should have been.

Originally Posted by A_A_G

At least you got a box...They shipped my Xbox one this past week in no box...they just slapped the mailing label on the console.

Same here! Ordered a set of Eero WiFi AP/routers on BF and they just slapped a shipping label on the retail packaging. Figured they got slammed over the Black Friday weekend.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Amazon has an algorithm on how to pack a truck, so the box sizes can be unnecessarily large.

Never heard that before but I wouldn't be surprised. I suspect it applies more to their warehouses that will feed packages to your closer warehouse for final delivery, i.e. an item I order is in stock in Columbus OH and will go by their semi-trailer to my local feeder center. When they load that semi-trailer, they will want to optimize it as much as possible.

On another note, ever notice that Amazon's boxes have 2-digit codes on them ? I was under the impression that their software looks at the items ordered and suggests what box the packer person should use (if that size is available).

my rotella gas truck 2x5qt jugs arrived in a 2ft x 18" box with 6 of those air squares in it.. they were all flat and the jugs were bouncing around.. no tape on the lids either.

pretty fail.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
You're surprised Amazon hasn't figured out how to just burn money? Collecting tens of millions of totes from tens of millions of customers would be a train wreck when you can use boxes that cost little.

On the few times I've ever bought clothing from Amazon, it's always been packed in a thick plastic bag for shipment (not in a box of any sort). Last year I bought some winter jeans directly from Wrangler and those came in the same type of plastic bag packaging. Just an FYI, buying from Wrangler allows you to find some sizes that usually aren't stocked in stores, specifically odd-numbered inseam and waist sizes.

Originally Posted by CT Rob
Ive bought things that were barely bigger than a pack of gum or deck of cards and they shipped it in a 11x14 envelope.Bit over kill. Had things come in a box that was way bigger than it should have been.

I received 1 USB thumb drive in a 11x14 bubble mailer before lol.

Originally Posted by Rand
my rotella gas truck 2x5qt jugs arrived in a 2ft x 18" box with 6 of those air squares in it.. they were all flat and the jugs were bouncing around.. no tape on the lids either.

pretty fail.

I recall reading some HiFi magazine, possibly Stereophile, where the Author** bought some LP records online and they arrived
"partially folded into an undersize box. He complained and returned them. They balked but sent hime a replacement order and they came the same way. He called them and they stated "you must be doing something wrong". After a lot of arguing he finally gave up and just got a refund. That was Near the Start of their expanded Retail business many years ago.

** Art Dudley, possibly

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by CT Rob

I received 1 USB thumb drive in a 11x14 bubble mailer before lol.

Smaller packaging gets lost more often. If a driver has enveloped that are all the same size regardless of what is in them, that makes for easier and efficient handling and delivery.

Put yourself in the drivers position. If you find a small envelope that slipped away and should have been delivered 10-15 miles back then the time wasted going back or delaying the package altogether is crucial. These drivers are on schedules and have to meet time standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back