Alternative uses for CVT fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few quarts of CVT fluid left over from a project and I'm wondering if there are any other uses for this fluid. I use a lot of Ed's Red gun cleaner which uses trans fluid and I frequently mix trans fluid with acetone for an expedient penetrating oil. I can't seem to find much information on the web so I figured I should come to the experts. What little information I could find seemed to indicate that CVT fluid was more of a friction causing fluid for belt grip so I'm reluctant to use it like I would trans fluid.
So, does anybody have any suggestions for other uses for CVT fluid? Thinking maybe it can be used as a honing oil for my sharpening stones? Thank you and I would really appreciate any ideas!

Right. Use it for your Red's mixture or as a honing oil.

Or, if you have rusty tools soak those tools in it for about a week.

I've soaked some rusty parts for about ten days in this CVT fluid, taking them out every few days and hitting them with a wire brush. The results have been disappointing, definitely doesn't work as well as regular ATF for soaking into metal and softening corrosion. I was hoping for some more info on this stuff and what else it might be good for. Guess I'll give the last few quarts to a local trans shop. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back