Alternative to Matco Hyper-Step Drill Bits

I started a thread on GJ regarding the Norseman and KnKut "knock-offs" of the Matco Hyper-Step design. An Astro Pneumatic distributor chimed in and claims Astro was the OEM on these (for Matco) and their agreement recently expired. So, Astro is now selling the exact product under their own label for a significantly lower cost.

Has anyone tried the Norseman, KnKut or Astro "equivalents?"

For what automotive applications would these drill bits be superior to a standard bit ?

For what automotive applications would these drill bits be superior to a standard bit ?
Centering has never been an issue, I just use a spring punch but I can see these drilling the hole to size better and faster as long as they stay sharp.
Normally you start with a small diameter bit then work up with these it looks like the bit is constantly doing this as it travels through the broken bolt for example. I have no idea how they would hold up against a hardened bolt, that is usually done easiest with cobalt or carbide bits depending on the drilling equipment.

Centering has never been an issue, I just use a spring punch but I can see these drilling the hole to size better and faster as long as they stay sharp.
Normally you start with a small diameter bit then work up with these it looks like the bit is constantly doing this as it travels through the broken bolt for example. I have no idea how they would hold up against a hardened bolt, that is usually done easiest with cobalt or carbide bits depending on the drilling equipment.
They have a carbide version now, but that one is still Matco exclusive.

As a machinist I've never understood carbide in a hand tool. There's simply too much vibration and chatter and I've personally never seen it hold up. Even carbide c-sinks are a waste of money if you're not using in a mill or quality dp.

The fancy bits otherwise look easy to sharpen on my bench grinder (a touch of sarcasm perhaps)

If they truly can make it through an EZ-out (not what the Flat Rate Master was talking about I understand) that would be impressive and worth it even if they sacrificed themselves in the process, ie an expensive consumable but better than hunting for a wire EDM

I can't say I've ever thought much about what a rethreading tap is made from? Are they HSS or just "high carbon steel" or something else? I went straight to the source but don't see any mention of metallurgy?

You have to be careful with carbide bits, solid carbide is the last thing you would want to use with a hand drill or even a drill press, they need a very stable headstock, they are so brittle they will not tolerate any amount of flex. Removing one of them broken off in a hole requires either loosening it by drill small holes around it or an Elox drill.
With a drill press you can use the 10% carbide but a cordless hand drill is better with HSS or M35 cobalt or even carbide tipped , M42 is just a bit too brittle and best left for the drill press.

Do not buy these for a hand drill.

Norseman says their Vortex drills (their version of Matco Hyper Step) are suitable for:
cast iron
hard steel
mild steel
brass
copper
sheet metal
acrylic

They also claim the Vortex stays sharp up to 4x longer than a conventional bit.

They also have a few sizes (in a kit) of left hand Vortex bits

Last edited:
I just dropped a HSS c-sink in my shop which also got me thinking: if you drop a carbide bit on a concrete floor or a steel table you will likely be a sad, sad panda.

It chips so easily and a single chip to a cutting edge effectively destroys the tool. Years ago I got to tour Cobe Medical in Denver and they run a rubber mat-something over the ENTIRE floor. They did it because they were machining work that could be destroyed if you dropped it, but it's gotta provide a safety margin when you drop that expensive carbide end mill, too

Not that anyone ever drops anything in an automotive shop......

Back