Alternate to Polaris 4 Premium Synthetic 0w 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an alternate "as good or better" oil to what Polaris recommends. Polaris does not put out alot of information on the subject. I have a 2006 sportsman HO with 78 hours 580 miles and I want to take good care of it for long life. If the Polaris oil is the best choice I am ok with that but something tells me that there could be a better choice.

I'd personally run Shell Rotella-T 5w40 in it, but if warranty is still in effect, you might want receipts for the Polaris liquid gold.

Joel

Warranty is out I now. I have enough Polaris oil for my next couple of changes but I hate having to go to the trouble to buy exclusively from Polaris.

Ive owned Polaris's since 1993 before they were cool. Most were two strokes, and I still have some two strokes. But I have a Sportsman 500 HO and a Sportsman 700 twin. I use Castrol Syntec 5w40 in the 500 HO (If its good enough for Porshe its good enough for a quad) I use Castrol GTX 10w40 in the 700 and its super smooth and actually quiter then the Polaris factory brand oil was. Polaris Sportsamn dont need a complicated oil, they have no wet clutchs or anything "weird" going on. They dont require anything but a high grade car oil. They duplicate the same thing that a car oil does and the same job description. Although in a harsh enviroment, if your like me and change it ever year, its not like its staying in there for even 3,000 miles more like a couple hundred so anything will work. The chaincase is a different story, Ive heard of people useing 5w20 motor oil in there and I know when Polaris first came out the speced 30 wt oil in the transmission then started selling special oil for $11 a qt. No trouble using 30wt, 5w20 or Polaris oil. Ive used all three in the two stroke transmissins without problems but for the 500/700 I just use the Polaris Syn and pay the $11 a quart once a year.

I use 5w-30, or 10-40 in my Honda ATV, vast majority warmer weather driving. By all means, go by the book.

FYI, I went to a Yamaha dealer today to get a filter & some oil for a 4-stroke snowmobile. I ended up with some 'semi-synthetic' 0-30w for $8.99 a qt. I later swung through Farm & Fleet here in WI & saw Mobile One 0-40w full synthetic on sale for $5.69 or so a qt. Had I know I wold never of bought the 3 qts of yamalube. I got a bunch of info with the guys so I didn't want to take it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back