Air purifier/vacuum scheme?

My friends wife approached me today wanted to know if my wife and I would sit through a 90min demo of this air purifier/vacuum machine from Rainbow(?). Doing this would get me a counter top purifier and if she could get 19 others to do this, they would get the full size machine free... I'm no financial guru but it doesn't add up... How can a person do 20 demos, giving away a purifier (reportedly a ~100 dollar value) each time AND give her a combo machine? That's 30 hours of work, possibly $2000 worth of equipment us whatever this bigger machine costs all for nothing!? What gives? Who's paying for it, or where is the money coming from? There's no such thing as a free lunch, right?

Interestingly, the demo rep is a person both my friend and I know - he's actually kinda buds with my friend. Also, my friend is usually pretty shrewd with money, so I'm sure he won't get bit

And to answer the inevitable question - no, we're not going to do the demo and are not interested whatever is being sold.

Easy, they make a ton of profit on those machines. If you really want one the used market is usually flooded with them. Most have been rebuilt because people leave them assembled sitting over the tub of water (Which is disgusting in a day or so) and the moisture gets past the seals and locks up the motors.

They're a decent enough machine, but not worth the kind of money they ask for them.

One of my co-workers got involved in this. From what I remember it didn't work out well for her. She tried to get me to watch the demo, it was a hard pass from me.

I had a Filter Queen salesman come to my door when I was living in a small rural town. They convinced me to buy the vacuum, & try it for 30 days. If I decided I still didn't want it they would come & get it. I think they were selling them around the $1000 -1300 mark. I used it for 3 weeks, and called them up & decided I didn't need a vacuum that badly. It didn't take long for the best sale price to come out. By the time the call had ended I think he was less than 1/3 of the original selling price. I absolutely refused to take a partial refund, & wanted the salesmen to make the 90 minute drive to come pick it up.

If they would have given the bottom line price off the start I might have been more interested in purchasing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cdlamb
I had a Filter Queen salesman come to my door when I was living in a small rural town. They convinced me to buy the vacuum, & try it for 30 days. If I decided I still didn't want it they would come & get it. I think they were selling them around the $1000 -1300 mark. I used it for 3 weeks, and called them up & decided I didn't need a vacuum that badly. It didn't take long for the best sale price to come out. By the time the call had ended I think he was less than 1/3 of the original selling price. I absolutely refused to take a partial refund, & wanted the salesmen to make the 90 minute drive to come pick it up.

If they would have given the bottom line price off the start I might have been more interested in purchasing it.

Friend of mine sat for the Rainbow demo as a favor. Price started over a thou and dropped to about 200 after he kept saying no. He still didn't buy it.

Family of mine had a FilterQueen operation going on and it went well for awhile - unfortunately the area they were in was mostly rural so potential clientele was used up in 5-6 years. At the end they were driving 4-5 hours for 1-2 in home demo's - lets just say said family member operations ceased about 1-1.5 years ago. At their peak I think they had 2 other sales folks.

My dad had a Kirby Heritage II he bought from door to door salesperson ~86 or 87, that thing was a beast and was pretty much indestructible. It was still going strong after 20 years, quite a few belts, 1 impeller replacement and one bag assembly later. That thing could suck the carpet right up off the pad if you didn't have the height set just right. I don't know what ultimately happened to it but they ended up ditching it because it was too much for them to push around anymore as it was not self propelled and very heavy.

My friends wife approached me today wanted to know if my wife and I would sit through a 90min demo of this air purifier/vacuum machine from Rainbow(?). Doing this would get me a counter top purifier and if she could get 19 others to do this, they would get the full size machine free... I'm no financial guru but it doesn't add up... How can a person do 20 demos, giving away a purifier (reportedly a ~100 dollar value) each time AND give her a combo machine? That's 30 hours of work, possibly $2000 worth of equipment us whatever this bigger machine costs all for nothing!? What gives? Who's paying for it, or where is the money coming from? There's no such thing as a free lunch, right?

Interestingly, the demo rep is a person both my friend and I know - he's actually kinda buds with my friend. Also, my friend is usually pretty shrewd with money, so I'm sure he won't get bit

And to answer the inevitable question - no, we're not going to do the demo and are not interested whatever is being sold.
I heard a few things about Rainbow vacuum, they are a multi-level marketing company selling very high priced vacuum. The sales like to come and "service" and "demo", but the vacuum is not worth the high price.

You are better off looking for what the commercial janitor uses, they know what they are doing and they know what quality is good enough and durable. Rainbow is not one.

I used a Rainbow vacuum cleaner in my house for over 15 years and loved it. When you emptied the water you could see how much dirt it collected. Didn't need it after I moved and gave it to my son. It did an excellent job, Don't remember the cost.
The post you're responding to is spam and likely not even a real person.

Back