Air filter that works well and allows good air flow

I just do a good mix of the cheapest, and the best quality. I know a lot of my posts says positive stuff about the dollar tree, but unless you make a homemade filter you are not going to find one there. I would just go to Walmart, and try to look at the well known brands. Whichever one is the cheapest, then I would buy that one.

Because a filter has a finer mesh and it filters more, it doesn't mean it will work in your application. Think about it this way - If it filters really small stuff (more than the OEM) it will clog faster and require a replacement faster as you will not be getting sufficient airflow to the engine. I would love to see air flow tests on filters brand new and compare. (edit - I did find a scientific test. https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html check it out. Interesting comparison.)

I worked in HVAC and even my vendors said don't use the ultra filtration air filters in the HVAC system. They clog faster and put more of a load on the fan. I thought it was BS, so I got one of those fancy ** filters and installed it in my house. I took the motor draw readings with my old filter in it, no filter and the new filter after a week. I noticed no difference in dust and air, but the motor drew about 10% more to keep up the RPM due to the fancy filter. I went back to a decent filter, not the compressed cardboard frames, and all is well in my HVAC.

The air filter manufacturers are in the business of marketing and profiting. Keep that in mind.

Just one man's thoughts and experience. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back