Air filter study on dieselplace.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
ton, I have an "Oilguard" bypass filter. It filters down to 1 micron. Normal oil filter is only 25-35 micron. This allows the oil to be used way longer.

I have 15k miles on my oil now. Mobil Delvac1 in a diesel truck. I sampled at 5k, 10k and 15k. I have been running into a couple of snags. Not sure if I trust the sample readings. For instance, at 10k everything was perfect except high soot "1.1". I sent a second sample to Oilguard and they got a reading of 0.3. So I kept the oil in. I added 3 qts. of make-up oil between 10k sample and 15k sample. Now at 15k I have
Ultimately I think that oil sampling and analysis is terribly inconsistent and somewhat unreliable.

I think the Oilguard system is among the best on the market. However, the TRUE test of whether or not it is working is an ISO cleanliness test on the oil. This test measures the quantity of particles in the 5 micron range. If the Oilguard is working right, this test will show it. A normal oil analysis does not test for ISO cleanliness. This test costs about $100. SPICER

quote:

Originally posted by SPICER:
Not sure if I trust the sample readings. For instance, at 10k everything was perfect except high soot "1.1". I sent a second sample to Oilguard and they got a reading of 0.3. So I kept the oil in.

Ultimately I think that oil sampling and analysis is terribly inconsistent and somewhat unreliable.

Might the problem be which lab you are using? Or just a fluke bad test from a normally good lab?

Could be both. It would be interesting to send identical samples to 3 labs and see what you get. It makes no sense that at 10k I have 1.1 soot and at 15k I have <0.1 soot, and also TBN to drop from 10.1, which is excellent, to 5.5. Especially after adding 3 quarts make-up oil. SPICER

quote:

.. It would be interesting to send identical samples to 3 labs and see what you get..

Arlen,

I sent two samples from my Duramax taken at the same time to OilGuard and Oil Analyzers... There was a significant difference in Copper, Silicon and Iron... Results are posted in the following link:

Can this be right?? Copper at 964ppm!

My latest analysis results from AVlube are much better...

03 Duramax Delvac-1 34Kmi

smile.gif

Arlen,

I know I probably should leave the oil in longer than 5k but I just can't seem to pass up an excuse to tinker with my truck...
grin.gif
grin.gif

I like the AVLube format and I think they do a good job testing, but 2 wacky results in a row makes me feel like I am wasting my $. I don't plan to test every 5k. I just want to establish a baseline for how long I can go with the bypass in place. Bill, you do have good numbers, so PUSH THAT OIL A LITTLE LONGER! I still have equally good numbers at 15k! You are flushing $ down the oil drain! SPICER

quote:

On the same topic, I can't imagine why someone would use one of those toilet paper bypasses. They require an element change every 3-5k. The make-up oil alone will give you good analysis numbers! Not to mention the fact that you are continually adding oil/$!.

penny pinching?

I know the feeling. Last night I changed both oil filters. My numbers were good and I didn't really NEED to do it, but to be honest I was REALLY curious to see the condition of the Oilguard element. It looked so good I felt silly replacing it. I'll tell ya, that is one sweet bypass system! I probably should post pictures of my install with the custom bracket mounted to the frame using factory holes in the frame.

I will replace the oil before March when I tow my 27' camper 1,600 miles each way to Texas. Not that it will be necessary, but I'd feel wierd starting a trip with 20k on my oil already.

On the same topic, I can't imagine why someone would use one of those toilet paper bypasses. They require an element change every 3-5k. The make-up oil alone will give you good analysis numbers! Not to mention the fact that you are continually adding oil/$!.

Bill, you may be able to sell your used oil to a forum member.....Market it as "Perfectly good, Super clean motor oil....Slightly used and for half the price of new oil."
wink.gif
SPICER

quote:

... Bill, you may be able to sell your used oil to a forum member.....Market it as "Perfectly good, Super clean motor oil....Slightly used and for half the price of new oil."
wink.gif
SPICER

Hmmmm... That's a good idea
grin.gif
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back