Air conditioner

The air Conditioner on My 2014 F150 started blowing out 60F air during the hot spell we had recently ( in the 90's). I checked and the guage read a little low but everything else was running. Bought a can of r134a and according to the instructions on the can I shook well and kept it upright. Seemed it wasn't emptying and the vent temp was still in the 60's. Checked some videos on utube and some of them showed refilling with the can upended. I tried that the next day and it worked! Just took a little liquid. Vent temp back in the 40's.

Sometmes putting the can in a small bucket of warm water while you are charging will help the can to empty.

My understanding was that AC won't lose refrigerants unless there's a leak somewhere. Did you ever found a leak? My 2 cars that had leaks are both found before recharging, 1 somehow had a pipe cracked all of a sudden and the other after an accident the condenser got pushed in and was rubbing against the radiator till it wore through somehow. My 2008 IS still works fine with no leak yet...

Thats a very good way to a compressor into junk. All it takes is one slug of liquid at the wrong time.
Yes, one should not introduce liquid into the suction line. And if you are charging with liquid through the liquid line then the system must not be operating.

My understanding was that AC won't lose refrigerants unless there's a leak somewhere. Did you ever found a leak? My 2 cars that had leaks are both found before recharging, 1 somehow had a pipe cracked all of a sudden and the other after an accident the condenser got pushed in and was rubbing against the radiator till it wore through somehow. My 2008 IS still works fine with no leak yet...
So far so good. My understanding is that rubber seals can "dry out" and cause slight leakage. I sure hope that was the case.

Back