Aiming headlights after changing bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced one burnt out Philips 9012 bulb with another Philips 9012. Driving around, I noticed it was pointing higher and creating glare off street signs. I parked against a flat wall and the new bulb was indeed aimed higher, causing a scattered pattern. I made sure it was seated correctly and aimed it down to match the other side. With the old bulbs, the aim was perfect.

I've never had to re-aim after changing a bulb before. Have you guys encountered such a thing?

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
If it changed after you changed it, it sounds like an install issue. I've never had this.

x2

The way modern bulbs lock into their sockets, there's next to no movement in the socket possible. You had to have moved the entire assembly in the process (by accident).

Make sure it's installed correctly.
Or maybe you got a bulb with a manufacturing defect.

Eliminate these easy checks before you start to try to turn those rusty aiming screws.

Good luck!
cheers3.gif

Yes I've experienced a small but noticeable alignment change after replacing a bulb. In my case the beam was pulled to the near side. Checked several times that it was correctly seated and tried the bulb on the other side but the change persisted, I suspect a seating issue would produce a much bigger change in beam alignment. I should have returned it as faulty but it could just as easily have been the original bulb that was faulty. The filament must have to be positioned to very fine tolerances.

That's pretty weird. I'd get before and after pics and email phillips- they may hook you up with a replacement. They don't make junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back