Aerial Firefighting

SOme areas you cannot approach with anything but helicopters. And when it comes to precision, they are the best. These DC10, 747, are used in large areas to establish protection line and to try to contain fire before it gets too close to populated areas.
But in the end, nothing can replace ground crews.
Quite impressive - ground crew may have been hours away.

Last edited:
My property abuts the air field, they make practice drops along my fence line using plain water. Many is the time my dog and I have gotten a free shower while walking. Every spring they fire them up and ops check the birds.
Smoky

Here is the Doctor Creek fire north of us. It’s currently covering 19,000 acres. They are doing planned ignitions to define a boundary to the fire.

860C5F33-A525-4DC9-8863-F877F9EEA6B7.jpeg

In addition to WA DNR helicopters the blackhawks from JBLM have been dumping water on a fire about 1.5 miles from me as the crow flies. The fire is on a steep hillside.

With 747 at bargain prices it seems tanker conversions would be a great use of tax payer dollars.

SOme areas you cannot approach with anything but helicopters. And when it comes to precision, they are the best. These DC10, 747, are used in large areas to establish protection line and to try to contain fire before it gets too close to populated areas.
But in the end, nothing can replace ground crews.
With the pressurized system on the 747 the drop can be made be like rain so it won't break trees hurt firefighters or do damage.

With the pressurized system on the 747 the drop can be made be like rain so it won't break trees hurt firefighters or do damage.
Sure, but still we are talking only certain areas to access. Again, helicopters are a must, and nothing happens without ground crews. There is a lot of emphasis on airplanes, helicopters and neglect of ground capabilities. Here at Colorado Springs, 7 years after Black Forest fire that burned 460 homes, killed two people, there is still debate about firefighting capacity at the Black Forest as it is not incorporated and no one wants to invest additional resources (pay more taxes). Everything ends up: well aerial capacity here is.... Yet, every year they are pissing their pants what if.....

The aircraft are there to support the efforts of the people on the ground. No need for more taxes just a need for cuts in the unproductive areas of tax dollar redistributions .

The aircraft are there to support the efforts of the people on the ground. No need for more taxes just a need for cuts in the unproductive areas of tax dollar redistributions .
It is easier to have Colorado Springs roll in firefighters. It is free.

Back