ACdelco PF53 4100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a few filters I need to upload from last year. Here is one from back in sept 2019.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a cut ACdelco PF53 with 4100 miles off of a Saturn SC1 with Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 synthetic blend. Oil was refilled with the same oil and was replaced by a Bosch Premium filter

Ecore, sloppy media, nitrile drainback valve, fiber end caps - just not a filter that I find worth it to use. Too many better choices.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Ecore, sloppy media, nitrile drainback valve, fiber end caps - just not a filter that I find worth it to use. Too many better choices.

How did you come to this conclusion? Using AC Delco filters causes a decrease in engine durability and longevity?

Originally Posted by dave1251

How did you come to this conclusion? Using AC Delco filters causes a decrease in engine durability and longevity?

Isn't that why better filters are available?
I quit using AC Delco at least 15 years ago, when GM started cutting costs to battle bankruptcy. The old PF 47s / 51s and 61s used to be better parts. Today's filters are inferior to those.
Heck, I even quit GM vehicles too, after buying them for 3-4 decades straight. The Ecore and Equinox I looked at are only available with TDGIs....... no thanks. Just wait until these newer models begin aging. GM will have to settle complaints as these engines turn to junk quickly.

Last edited:
I'll admit ecore spin on not my favorite filter, not huge fan of combo valve used in this one. That said, even with the less than great seam pleat area spacing, this one looks like it got the job done, @ ~4k miles. For ~5k mi fcis these likely ok. I'm thinking because this ACD for older GM, thus the combo valve. Newer for GM ACD use separate poppet type bypass.

Thanks for c&p.

Somehow people are convinced that this stuff matters. The Fram OC has a new ADBV and now folks think that it is premium material. A good accountant at Fram probably knows more. The nitrile ADBV in ACD's work fine … it's holding back a bunch of oil every time I change them. Nitrile is used in thousands of industries … way more important stuff. The bonding on the ends is solid. The end devices fit tight in a very round bore. The spacing is perfect other than the seam area … well, tell the machine that's a problem.Not.

79201AEA-C121-4D8B-A5BB-54DA9A3D9FED.jpeg

6FDC5B9D-A5E9-4F32-86D2-0CF619B20C38.jpeg

I did not see the mileage … Anyone see how many miles on the previous design failed ecore

Yes, they have changed the cage. Anyone think stray metal may have left the clean side of metal tubes.
Bet it has … I think the nylon cage is here to stay … they just had to learn how to make them.

The thing I don't like is that the very large core diameter on the e-core results in you room for media area which is of UTMOST importance on the these tiny form factor filters.

Never has issues with many iterations of branded and box store brand dissount champion labs filters until this.

My old 2007 Silverardo didn't like them for some unknown reason. Factory OE wasnt an e-core

Last edited:

My conclusion is based on the photos. I never once said it would decrease engine life or not function....I simply stated there are BETTER filters available and I choose to NOT use AC DELCO filters for that reason and that I had TWO fail on me in years past.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Somehow people are convinced that this stuff matters. The Fram OC has a new ADBV and now folks think that it is premium material. A good accountant at Fram probably knows more. The nitrile ADBV in ACD's work fine … it's holding back a bunch of oil every time I change them. Nitrile is used in thousands of industries … way more important stuff. The bonding on the ends is solid. The end devices fit tight in a very round bore. The spacing is perfect other than the seam area … well, tell the machine that's a problem.Not.

Nitrile does matter past 5000 miles. Fram upgraded their lowest tier filter with the better silicone for a reason and it probably was not cost as much as perception of buyers looking for value and having the better silicone is a cheap move to achieve the "look" of a better filter.

I had TWO delcos fail on me where the NITRILE drain back valves failed and I had zero oil pressure at start up. TWO different filters, TWO different oil change intervals - stopped using them.

Nitrile does matter past 5000 miles. Fram upgraded their lowest tier filter with the better silicone for a reason and it probably was not cost as much as perception of buyers looking for value and having the better silicone is a cheap move to achieve the "look" of a better filter.

Fram most likely ungraded the ADBV to silicone on the EG as part of them increasing its use rating up to 10,000 miles to ensure the ADBV didn't with in longer use.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Fram most likely ungraded the ADBV to silicone on the EG as part of them increasing its use rating up to 10,000 miles to ensure the ADBV didn't with in longer use.

I bet you are right - that makes sense

Is that even an Ecore? I use the Pf1237 on my nissans and the classic Pf 61 on my impala and have no fear of these filters. For crying out loud, people are running the cheapest filters made for much longer installed by their local 10 minute oil change place with no issues. I'll continue running these filters for 5k and not lose a bit of sleep.

...Nitrile does matter past 5000 miles.....
If that is true, and best info says there's something to that, imagine that it's also responsible for the bypass function in addition to adbv. That's what one gets with a combo valve like that used in topic filter.

While a repetitious point by me, when nitrile just for adbv, worst result when compromised may be some irritating start up rattle. Not engine ending. When it controls bypass function too, 'could' be something more serious. Also why I suspect GM chose poppet spring type bypass for ACDelco ecore filters for newer GM vehicles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Isn't that why better filters are available?
I quit using AC Delco at least 15 years ago, when GM started cutting costs to battle bankruptcy. The old PF 47s / 51s and 61s used to be better parts. Today's filters are inferior to those.
Heck, I even quit GM vehicles too, after buying them for 3-4 decades straight. The Ecore and Equinox I looked at are only available with TDGIs....... no thanks. Just wait until these newer models begin aging. GM will have to settle complaints as these engines turn to junk quickly.

Ok. 1. GM does not manufacture AC Delco filters and it had been a long time since GM has. 2. GM uses AC Delco filters in conditions neither you nor or I could possibly recreate. It's lack of maintenance and or bad design, assembly, and or manufacturing which causes failure. It's not oil filters of good quality.

If it's not affecting the bottom line engine longevity then it doesn't matter. I am more concerned about flow of the lubricant which does affect engine longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back