Accutire tire pressure gauges - two bad right out of the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one of these a few years back, and it has been perfectly reliable. I keep it on the motorcycle.

Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Gauge

[Linked Image]

I have now bought two since, and both have been bad, right out of the package. I've taken the batteries out of the good one, and put them in both of the bad ones, no change. Plus, the batteries out of the new ones that don't work, are fine, when placed in the known good gauge.

Both of the bad ones came from different vendors. The last one came from Amazon.

Has anyone else had bad luck with these? Two bad ones... brand new, right out of the package... shows that this company might have a QC problem.

s-l500.jpg

Best reliable digital gauge I have used is the BMW-branded one.

But Accu-Gage dial pressure gauges are my go-to. Never had an issue and they stay accurate indefinitely as long as you don't smack them around.

I thought I had a bad new one that read 5 psi low. I found that the head was slightly unscrewed. I tightened the head and all was well. Ed

I got this digital tire gauge from AAP years ago for less than $10. It's accurate and still works great.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
But Accu-Gage dial pressure gauges are my go-to. Never had an issue and they stay accurate indefinitely as long as you don't smack them around.

I've moved on from digital too. Analog dial is the way to go. No batteries, easier to read, and pressures don't need to be set to the 10th of a pound anyway.

Man I have been getting "Fleabay quality stuff from amazon lately - had to send back a lot of defective stuff.

AFA digital readout - Too many parts on the digital.

Ill stick with the simple pencil gauge.

I REALLY like dial , but one drop and your accuracy is toast.

Last edited:
How bad are the pencil ones? I have a few floating around but have never bothered to "gauge" them against one another.

I have lots of the digital gauges that have given problems.

I use this one on my compressor as you can see the pressure as you are adding and I like the fitting that goes on tire valve. Doesn't lose air as connecting and disconnecting. problem is you have to change air line fitting to US ($1)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Digita...re-Air-Inflator-Tool-220PSI/142159629891

The pencil ones that Discount Tire gives you for free work great. Always accurate every time I check them.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Best reliable digital gauge I have used is the BMW-branded one.

I have a couple Accutire Pro gauges from 20+ years ago. They're almost identical to the BMW-branded version, except they have a zero calibration button.

Always been accurate, and have never needed a battery. I'm not sure the current incarnations are of the same quality.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I bought one of these a few years back, and it has been perfectly reliable. I keep it on the motorcycle.

I have now bought two since, and both have been bad, right out of the package. I've taken the batteries out of the good one, and put them in both of the bad ones, no change. Plus, the batteries out of the new ones that don't work, are fine, when placed in the known good gauge.

Both of the bad ones came from different vendors. The last one came from Amazon.

Has anyone else had bad luck with these? Two bad ones... brand new, right out of the package... shows that this company might have a QC problem.

Could you tell us what was wrong with them?

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Could you tell us what was wrong with them?

That would be nice, I have one in my wish list at amazon. I had two of them but forgot to take one out of the glove box of a car I sold a couple months ago. I found them to be a nice little gauge, they read the same back to back, I've had so many that wouldn't do that. They are also accurate when I compare them with my Longacre.

Originally Posted by supton
How bad are the pencil ones? I have a few floating around but have never bothered to "gauge" them against one another.

A good pencil is easily w/in 0.5 PSIG of a cal'd gauge on a pressure vessel. I usually buy three and keep the 2 that agree. Its just a general reference and I try keep the tires balanced within 1/4 psig of setpoint when I find the "sweett spot" ( usually stay within 2 psig up or down from door placard)… Once I ran 37 psig on 235 55r 16 (?) and pounded the strut top bearing race to pieces, - Same on a Mazda 626 I ran 35 on a 32 setpoint and pounded out the strut top steering ball race.

Tires are the first point of suspension compliance - and need to be compliant to some degree to absorb sharp road impacts.

Also try to get a low pressure pencil I think its 5-50psi rated. Don't get the 0-100 for a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back