AC Delco PF46 vs PF44

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to give another filter manufacturer's website that has cross-referencing a try. I know the Wix website provides all the specs/dimensions for their filters. Find out the corresponding Wix part #'s for the PF44 and PF46, and go from there. My wife's car calls for a PF44, so maybe I'll try that myself. This is the first I've heard of it.

L8R

Wix's website gives the same cross reference for both of those numbers though, they give the 51042.

This is why I suspect the filter size is identical but AC Delco just changed the filtering media. (both filters have antidrainback valves and neither has a bypass valve since GM engines have them built into the block)

I sent an email to Dana, who make the AC Delco filters for Canada, so hopefully they'll shed more light on it.

[ December 01, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

At some point over the last year or so, AC Delco has stopped making the PF44 and has replaced it with the PF46. Does anyone here know exactly what the differences are?

Interesting ...... the PF46 is listed for all 2004 vehicles using this application (i.e. Corvette). Same applications listed the PF44 for the previous year(s).

GM still sells the UPF 44. I thought that one was kept alive specifically for Corvette owners.

I wrote an e-mail to AC Delco ...... let's see what they say in regards to the PF44/46 .......

[ December 02, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

ALEX D,
Does this mean that the UPF-44 will stop being produced now that we have the PF-46 (did you ask GM this in your e-mail)?

Does anyone have the GM part# for the UPF-44 filter. I'm trying to order some from "GM Parts Direct" and they need the GM part#.

VQ35DE, Thanks for the AC #. That's exactly what I was looking for. By the way, we're almost neighbors, I live in Buchanan, Tn., near Ky. Lake, about 45 miles from Union City. The reason I'm looking for the UPF-44 (or 46) is that I bought a new, redline red, Chevrolet SSR last Fri. and the owners manual calls for the PF-44 oil filter. I plan to drain the factory oil at 1,000 miles and replace with UPF filter and Mobil I. Thanks again.

pharmer,
Your correct, Buchanan is not far from Union City at all. The Ultraguard Gold (UPF) line of filters (made by champion) is by FAR the best oil filters for flow and filtration that have been made (Hard Driver) would be a close second. I have not seen a new SSR in person yet, if I were you I would buy the quantity of (UPF) filters that I would need for the LIFE OF THE car or truck (I have cases and cases of new Ultraguard Gold, Hard Driver, and Mobil-1 filters stored at my shop) just in case they stop production of them (UPF-44) in the future also!

VQ35DE, Where's the best place to purchase about 10 of the UPF-44 oil filters? My local parts stores and Chevy dealers don't seem to handle them.

Here's AC Delco's response .. they don't even know .....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for writing ACDelco.

With regards to your inquiry about difference between PF44 and PF46 ACDelco oil filters, we are unable to locate in our records. Please contact an ACDelco Retailer, Service Center or a GM Dealer in your area for information, as they are in the best position to assist you.

To find the nearest ACDelco Service Center in your area, please visit our website www.acdelco.com and click on 'Service Center' under 'ACDelco Parts Retailer and Service Center Locator'. To find the nearest GM Dealership in your area, please visit the GM Goodwrench website at www.gmgoodwrench.com, then click on 'Find a Dealer' or visit the General Motors website at www.gm.com and click on 'Dealer Locator'.

You may also contact ACDelco Technical Customer Assistance Center at
1-800-825-5886 and select prompt #2 for information. It is a pay contact number.

With regards to your inquiry about Ultraguard Oil Filter, ACDelco manufactures only part # UPF44 and part # UPF52.

Thank you for your interest in ACDelco.
ACDelco Customer Assistance

As you can see in my post above GM still makes the UPF52 and UPF44.....These guys have 'em for $9.60 or so .....just bought ten .....

quote:

Originally posted by pharmer:
VQ35DE, Where's the best place to purchase about 10 of the UPF-44 oil filters? My local parts stores and Chevy dealers don't seem to handle them.

[ December 04, 2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

GM says that 5.3 and 6.0s for 04 should use PF46s and that PF44s are not backward compatible. OK. I crawled under my 04 Suburban, built in Dec, 03 and it had a ..... PF-44.

I think it's a no brainer, I'll use UPF44. Just ordered a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back