AAA:Replace worn tires at 4/32nds inch tread depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Nobody keeps pennies in their pockets anymore so this is the standard.

I agree with Tig. 1/8 should be used. I was taught to reduce fractions when possible.

Traditionally, tire tread depths are measured in 32nd's for people who can't convert fractions in their heads. It's easier for consumers to compare if the denominator is common.
smile.gif

Where I always buy tires, Discount Tire, they also recommend replacing tires at 4/32nds. And I fully agree with that, but, some (or all?) tire manufacturers require that consumers use their tires until 2/32nds in order to file a treadwear warranty. Tires must be fully worn to 2/32nds, and evenly worn to submit a claim -sound familiar?

This conflicts with the safety of consumers and our nations roads. I never get a credit for my used tires because I put my safety and others, above a small allowance towards new tires.

I am sure there are a lot of people that want to get their moneys worth, and get an allowance towards their next set of tires. I can't blame them, as it's required by tire manufacturers to drive on dangerously low tread depths to get a piece of that almighty marketing scheme treadwear warranty. But, this puts them and others at risk because they cannot brake, steer, or control their vehicles as effectively.

I replace at around 5/32 - 4/32.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

....typically my sidewalls blow well before that anyway

Really??? That shouldn't be the case unless they are run underinflated.

I keep my tires around 40 psi, tire manufacturers don’t cover sidewalls because that is how most tires fail.

Exactly, typically my sidewalls blow well before that anyway

I find that an amazing statement. Never in my 40+ years of driving have I personally ever had a tire fail other than due to a puncture or other damage, much less have a sidewall "blow".

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I find that an amazing statement. Never in my 40+ years of driving have I personally ever had a tire fail other than due to a puncture or other damage, much less have a sidewall "blow".

Yup, never had a sidewall blow.

....typically my sidewalls blow well before that anyway

Really??? That shouldn't be the case unless they are run underinflated.

I keep my tires around 40 psi, tire manufacturers don’t cover sidewalls because that is how most tires fail.

Yeah, that's not typical at all. Are you talking about getting a sidewall puncture or damage to the sidewall? That's a different situation entirely.

Originally Posted By: Voleak
Where I always buy tires, Discount Tire, they also recommend replacing tires at 4/32nds. And I fully agree with that, but, some (or all?) tire manufacturers require that consumers use their tires until 2/32nds in order to file a treadwear warranty. Tires must be fully worn to 2/32nds, and evenly worn to submit a claim -sound familiar?

This conflicts with the safety of consumers and our nations roads. I never get a credit for my used tires because I put my safety and others, above a small allowance towards new tires.

I am sure there are a lot of people that want to get their moneys worth, and get an allowance towards their next set of tires. I can't blame them, as it's required by tire manufacturers to drive on dangerously low tread depths to get a piece of that almighty marketing scheme treadwear warranty. But, this puts them and others at risk because they cannot brake, steer, or control their vehicles as effectively.

I replace at around 5/32 - 4/32.

So you probably wouldn't buy a Michelin Premier AS as they only have 8.5/32nds when new. You would be replacing them with over half of the tread life remaining!

Originally Posted By: kschachn

The sidewall blows or starts to leak, I’ve only had two sets of tires die due to wear, both on cars,
On my suburbans, motorhome and trucks my tires always were replaced after one had some sort of sidewall failure.

I don’t think I’ve ever replaced a tire on a truck or motorhome due to wear.

Motorhome was the worst because the sidewalls would crack pretty bad after 2 or 3 years

Originally Posted By: Voleak

Yep, which is why I don't bother looking for the highest mile rated tire. I want to get them off before 2/32's. So the warranty is useless to me. That and in my area nobody gets more than 40k out of a set it seems.

So you probably wouldn't buy a Michelin Premier AS as they only have 8.5/32nds when new. You would be replacing them with over half of the tread life remaining![/quote]

That is correct, I will not use Premier A/S. I will continue to use Nokian, Cooper, and Continental tires. The models I like by them run 11 - 12/32nds.

My tires are probably around 6/32” on the Sonata. I’m considering running them down to 2/32” at least, since it doesn’t rain here hardly ever. But if rain is in the forecast when my tires are low on tread I can always just either drive the Camry or the Jeep.

Not sure I can handle it though, these Kumho tires are driving me insane with how loud they are.

After hydroplaning on tires with about 3/32nds on them down I75 during a torrential downpour, I replace tires around 4/32nds if not slightly more.

I just had new tires put on the Fiesta yesterday and the difference in how they cut through standing water compared to the old ones at 4/32nds that came off is huge.

These tests have, until fairly recently, been all over the place, with some reporting no significant difference at these tread depths. Recently this seems to be the concensus, perhaps because tyres are now wider.

OTOH, dry tyre performance is said to improve with lower tread depth. Probably a smaller effect, but since I drive in the dry MUCH more often than I drive in the wet (and almost completely reliably dry in season), statistically I might be no worse off on low-tread tyres.

Last edited:
So you probably wouldn't buy a Michelin Premier AS as they only have 8.5/32nds when new. You would be replacing them with over half of the tread life remaining!

Considering their "safe when worn" claim means when the tire is worn to 4/32".

I go by the wear bars. 2/32nds. Been that way for years. With the price of quality tires today, I'll continue at 2/32.

My experience is quite different, but I suspect we have a terminology problem. If the tires are "failing the inspection procedure", rather than "had a structural failure", then it makes sense. Sidewall cracking is a good indicator of the state of the rubber and frequently is the criteria for removal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I go by the wear bars. 2/32nds. Been that way for years. With the price of quality tires today, I'll continue at 2/32.

My experience is quite different, but I suspect we have a terminology problem. If the tires are "failing the inspection procedure", rather than "had a structural failure", then it makes sense. Sidewall cracking is a good indicator of the state of the rubber and frequently is the criteria for removal.

Don't think you can fail a UK MOT inspection on sidewall cracking unless they can see tyre fabric, assuming they follow the rules.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
These tests have, until fairly recently, been all over the place, with some reporting no significant difference at these tread depths. Recently this seems to be the concensus, perhaps because tyres are now wider.

OTOH, dry tyre performance is said to improve with lower tread depth. Probably a smaller effect, but since I drive in the dry MUCH more often than I drive in the wet (and almost completely reliably dry in season), statistically I might be no worse off on low-tread tyres.

The sport comp2's on the Focus are down to the 3-4/32, and now they feel very nice. No squirmy tall tread left, so they turn right away. The car seems to track straighter and feels more connected to the road, also no squirm on acceleration either. I don't worry about grip on wet pavement, but I am a bit more careful with aquaplaning, but they aren't super wide.
They are AA wet traction rated so were way ahead of most tires to start with, so if they only work as good as most new 3 season tires, I'm OK with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back