"A" grade used rim -- expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, had one of my worst Ebay experiences after having received a used wheel today that was advertised as grade "A" and "decent condition used wheel with some curb rash on edge."

When I see grade "A", I think like-new condition. Or great condition for it's age / mileage. The curb rash I could accept, as it's nearly impossible to find any without this due to clueless drivers; I digress. What I received should have been a "C" condition or at best. What do you guys think? The entire finish on the lip was destroyed from salt and corrosion-- completely bubbled, peeling, nothing left of it. I should note that this is the only exposed aluminum on this particular wheel-- the chrome face is actually plastic. One of Chrysler's stupid inventions they call "chrome clad aluminum" but at least it holds up decent. Can't call it a hubcap because it's molded to the wheel such that you can't remove it. Even that plastic face was torn to [censored], and had some of the worst brake dust pitting I've ever seen.

I have included a photos of one of my wheels whose condition probably would merit the description "decent condition used wheel with some curb rash on edge." Even then I wouldn't grade it an "A" because of the curb rash. My rim is over 10 years old with 130k, so while in good condition, it's not one of a kind and his grade "A" wheel should have looked at least similar. Don't know what these folks were thinking with the grade A designation, except wringing the maximum amount of money out of a poor condition rim. No way could I use this without being awfully out of place compared to my existing wheels. I'm replacing one that got bent badly on the highway.

Have already initiated the return via Ebay/Paypal. Hope the guy covers return shipping but I doubt it. Chrome is certainly hard to photograph, but this fella made zero effort to document the flaws, or perhaps deliberately tried to hide them (I'll give him benefit of doubt.)

Here's the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Road...-Fits-05-08-PACIFICA-195335/153152282540

DSCF0002_resized.jpg

DSCF0003_resized.jpg

DSCF0006_resized.jpg

DSCF0008_resized.jpg

DSCF0009_resized.jpg

DSCF0018_resized.jpg

DSCF0037_resized.jpg

DSCF0050_resized.jpg

As long as it holds air and doesn't vibrate at speed, it is fine
smile.gif

How does the price you paid compare with other used and recon examples of that Pacifica 19-in rim? Otherwise, the price seems fair for a

My only used wheel experience on eBay was 15-in OEM wheel for about $60 shipped. It looked OK and I am satisfied that is straight and will not give me any problems, but I only bought it to have a full size spare rather than a donut.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
As long as it holds air and doesn't vibrate at speed, it is fine
smile.gif

How does the price you paid compare with other used and recon examples of that Pacifica 19-in rim? Otherwise, the price seems fair for a

My only used wheel experience on eBay was 15-in OEM wheel for about $60 shipped. It looked OK and I am satisfied that is straight and will not give me any problems, but I only bought it to have a full size spare rather than a donut.

I paid $125 which was at the higher end of the spectrum. I was going to buy one at $90, the guy sent close-up pictures, and I decided there was too much curb rash. Joke is on me, that curb rash was nothing compared to what is present on this one. No reconditioned wheels exist because the face is plastic- I'm not sure you can even recondition it. A new old stock wheel from Rockauto is about $350.00.

Originally Posted by Trav
Send it back, that's a F rating. Garbage, I have thrown better than that in the scrap metal bin.

LOL, the first pic is brutal and the bead is so corroded!

That sucks man, keep looking. I would much rather OEMs than cheap aftermarket wheels, they are so tacky. You'll find something although it would be horrible if you had to buy a set.

Last edited:
Go into Ebay and put in a "not as described" claim. You should be able to get your money back.

If you do a claim where you accuse him of wrongdoing (aka "Not as Described") you will not only get your money back, he will either have to let you keep the item or he has to pay for return shipping. Just like a store would cover return shipping if they shipped something that wasn't as described. In the past year or two eBay has seriously stacked policies against sellers, it's clearly a buyer's market now.

That's awful! No such thing as an "A" grade rating on a wheel with curb rash.

Originally Posted by Trav
Send it back, that's a F rating. Garbage, I have thrown better than that in the scrap metal bin.

Yup, Scrap-A grade, recyclable.

I don't know where that rim originally came from, but it's clearly been exposed to an obscene amount of salt. I've never seen anything so badly pitted. Seller was from Columbus, OH, maybe I need to find someone further south!

You definitely need to go south of KY, here & points north only have good looking wheels if the car was only driven in winter with a set of snows & extra wheels installed.

That wheel is less than F ked up. More like a S grade which would be scrap.

Last edited:
Wow yea no close ups of the bad spots.. lets it look all shiny with low res pics.. was hiding it.

Return as "not as described" and they should pay shipping for return too.

That thing is only good for scrap metal.

Have you looked on car-part.com for a used one?

Luckily, the Automotive Recyclers Association defines "grade a", grade b", and "grade c".

Grade A - a wheel having no blemish
Grade B - a wheel having a blemish of one unit or less
Grade C - a wheel having a blemish of greater than one unit of damage
1 Unit = size of credit card

The eBay pictures are terrible. You were taken and I'd get a refund and return at their expense.

No way it's an A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back