9th Gen Civic Cvt Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there is a filter that can be replaced on the cvt. I didnt know that until recently when the master technician guy told me about it. This is what causes the fill plug pop off phenomenon to happen. He said mine didnt look bad but wants me to get it done soon JIC. No charge and am catching many praises for changing the fluid every 25k miles. Thinking I might remove this soon and send to Adam for cut and paste visuals. I never seen in the service for a filter swap but am happy to do if it warrants it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8tFhOtrYc Shows how and where it is at.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4974921&cc=3310198&jsn=405&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7Wbtv3UuYQU5U70IOqpyPMG1Z2pW01mLSjmpvhzOaI48N8y%2FNgMUaQtFKFv9Mi9TGyuB3Xd1aPiU%2BWhqiROI%2BGM1lKp5YtY0srVK6Oi6%2BUFW8DilpcfjHXhh9yeoltGgnIkSkQFjNsmzM0in%2F1pi7GdXjiaOyFgzRfGZpFZnQ2cBtQkoQ6IOsK%2FUjJ7KkXGiD%2FaZTD%2B9tkNicqcIvw0cHtXj8UHF7PgBZjZKzifhTFyyyuq6tUHglSC3ba4HpQYDE%2BclA1EctJZLJ4fJkvQbkkL4mMMpfT7rlN%2FvdlUILwPVwXsm3%2FP5xWcsq3VqyupwbtWcX8WPZ46qkQKHztwTA9QI%2FQ7LojPWX3GEDewBfSiRMp3NDHw2I3060xLJrISpidc3CqsSnf7dzUwCY98RFjfzJ2e1BokKAeg%3D%3D

This is the part for the 9th gen civic hcf2 fluid filter. I bought two of them at 5.XX ea. Hope this helps.

How much disassembly does it take to get to the filter? I would assume my moms CRV probably shares a very similar CVT to yours.

Oh probably more just a PIA than hard. I have all the resonator intake pieces removed long ago. Probably do it next time I change cvt fluid. I would guess 0.5 hours at most. If your not even to 120,000 miles yet just good steady maintenance and fluid exchange will be sufficient.

I might wait to 100K miles then. I too have been changing the fluid in the CVT every 25,000 miles. I think she has 60-70K miles on it. That CVT isn't gonna fail from lack of maintenance!

This doesn't look too involved, probably could be done in half an hour or less by even the most average of DIYers. It will be interesting to see how much the filter actually catches over 200k+ miles.

interesting story; I was was wondering if our CRV have the same filter?

all in all, that filter that he replaced could go another 60K easily

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
CVT ? Constant Velocity Transmission ?

Continuously Variable Transmission

Originally Posted by Marco620
Apparently there is a filter that can be replaced on the cvt. I didnt know that until recently when the master technician guy told me about it. This is what causes the fill plug pop off phenomenon to happen.

I highly doubt that a loaded filter will cause the fill plug to "pop off." Yes, it is a rubber plug, but if your fluid flow was impeded to that level......I would expect more major issues to happen first.

Yeah on the 9th Civic the CVT filter is remarkably easier to access than the ATF filter was on the older Civics. Almost an exact opposite, the older ones had the filter all the way at the back under the air cleaner (a pain in the [censored] to get to). On this one it's literally at the front of the CVT right behind the fluid warmer/cooler.

I had no idea the fill plugs pop off. Now I'm going to be paranoid! I don't think a clogged filter would do that too, nor do I think anyone who has a 9th Civic has one that's old enough to have filters that are clogged. If your filter was so clogged a fill plug popped off, your CVT is probably toast to be shedding that much material. Not only that, the 9th gen isn't old enough to warrant that much wear...

I think the more likely cause is the vent tube is obstructed in some way. Maybe lifting the vent cap up a little so the air channels around the sides of the cap have more room? Or remove the cap, then put it back on to exercise it a little.

I also think from the factory they put a dollop of grease on the vent cap before they install it. I remember taking a vent cap off on multiple Civics and finding grease under it. Maybe the grease is causing a blockage?

I would have drilled a couple small holes in the bottom of the plastic battery tray to allow the water to drain out of there. I'd also spray the ground cable under the battery tray with a protectant to stop corrosion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Marco620
Apparently there is a filter that can be replaced on the cvt. I didnt know that until recently when the master technician guy told me about it. This is what causes the fill plug pop off phenomenon to happen.

I highly doubt that a loaded filter will cause the fill plug to "pop off." Yes, it is a rubber plug, but if your fluid flow was impeded to that level......I would expect more major issues to happen first.

That's my take too. Sounds like these transaxles aren't vented properly if the fill plug is popping off. Better the plug than a shaft or case seal letting loose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back