94 F 150 Engine control module replaced

My purchased new 94 F150 4.9 L with 106000 miles recently started acting up badly (stalling, no power, severe skip.). Check engine light not on.. My local go to garage that I trust diagnosed issue and replaced throttle position sensor. Next day drove 60 miles round trip to work and it ran great. Next day went to run an errand and same issues returned. Took it back and ECM was replaced with a used one the garage found at a local junkyard. I had already looked online at a couple of parts sellers and average rebuilt engine control module (no longer available new) price was a little over $200. Total bill out the door was $263. I really feel that is not bad pricewise. So far running fine . Just wondering if anyone else has recently had this issue with a 1990's era F 150 and what the total repair cost was.

i strongly believe about 90 percent of 90s era ford electronics were replaced due to diagnostic guesswork..especially the classic tps, which was rarely ever bad but was easy to get to.

Had several ECM's act up due to bulging electrolytic capacitors which was common from that era. Recapped and everything was fine thereafter. I would have to agree that many parts are changed by guesswork when in fact they were good and not actual troubleshooting. I had a couple ICM's go bad and had me walking. To this day, I never had a TPS ever go bad on my many Fords.

Last edited:
Back