88-91 Honda civic oil fliters ? What are the current best ones ?

Been out of the oil filter loop for a while... just looking to see what are some of the best filters for the price now.
Heres a few I've used in the past.

filter Baldwin B161S.jpg

filter Baldwin B1402 (crx).jpg

filter Bosch 3312.jpg

filter Mahle OC330.jpg

filter Mann ML1002.jpg

Personally on my Honda's I like Purolator or Bosch filters. I've been running them for years now and have experienced zero problems with them. But honestly, Honda's are hard on oil or filters so you can pretty much run whatever meets spec.

The best are Fram Ultra and Wix XP/Napa Platinum (Napa puts it on sale a few times a year at a great price)

There is certainly nothing wrong with Baldwin/Hastings you've been using, though
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
But honestly, Honda's are hard on oil or filters so you can pretty much run whatever meets spec.

According to most UOAs here at Bob's from Dyson, Butler, CAT, or Blackstone labs, Honda engines show to be quite easy on their oils over a variety of oil change intervals(time & distance). IDK of any test that shows the specific results of filters over an OCI other than someone that posts pictures of their own filter that has been cut open & dissected.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
But honestly, Honda's are hard on oil or filters so you can pretty much run whatever meets spec.

According to most UOAs here at Bob's from Dyson, Butler, CAT, or Blackstone labs, Honda engines show to be quite easy on their oils over a variety of oil change intervals(time & distance). IDK of any test that shows the specific results of filters over an OCI other than someone that posts pictures of their own filter that has been cut open & dissected.

Judging by the fact that they said, you can run pretty much anything that meets spec, I assume they meant "aren't."

Originally Posted by blupupher
Of the ones you have posted, I would just stay away from the Bosch (Purolator made). Past and current issues with Purolator made filters just turned me off of them.

Nothing wrong with purolator/bosch its old old news. 1000's are used everyday. I havent even seen a new one cut open on here.

Mann are purolators as well, where are all the european issues?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by adamsoil
Of the ones you have posted, I would just stay away from the Bosch (Purolator made). Past and current issues with Purolator made filters just turned me off of them.

Haven't most euro cars went to cartridge filters, biggest issue with Mann-Hummel/Purolator filters lately have been the tapping plates on spin-ons not being deburred and cutting the adbv.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

Haven't most euro cars went to cartridge filters, biggest issue with Mann-Hummel/Purolator filters lately have been the tapping plates on spin-ons not being deburred and cutting the adbv.

Never heard of it and i have worked as a mechanic and used all the filters. Do you have inside information or something, never read or heard about it even with all the reviews out there. All the filters are decent these days except for the cheapies.

I think he means Honda engines are NOT hard on oil or filters. I fact, Honda has, at least in the past,
suggested changing filters every other oil change.

My 2¢

Never heard of it and i have worked as a mechanic and used all the filters. Do you have inside information or something, never read or heard about it even with all the reviews out there. All the filters are decent these days except for the cheapies.

cut ADBV in Mobil1 oil filter
Mobil one oil filter cut open. Disappointed.

Well i would expect a few failures but it would be big news if they were defective. Who is manafacturing these now? Where are they made? Seems to be alot of positive reviews out there.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The adbv is a Fram design, sits in the end cap, probably from the same supplier. Since no other parts are shown it looks like one of those Fram-pions. It doesn't matter, any adbv can get damaged at the factory and since they make thousands per day sometimes a bad one goes in a filter. No different than a rattling Fram filter here and there etc. Wouldn't stop me from buying an M1 filter any more than an Ultra.

Last edited:
You are exactly right. It was a typo and I meant to say they ARENT hard on oil or oil filters. Thanks!!
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Judging by the fact that they said, you can run pretty much anything that meets spec, I assume they meant "aren't."

Nothing wrong with purolator/bosch its old old news. 1000's are used everyday. I havent even seen a new one cut open on here.

I cut open a Bosch filter and posted it not too long ago. It came off a 2005 Honda Accord. I'll see if I can find my link and post it.

I've cut open every Purolator filter (Classic, ONE & BOSS) and haven't found a defect yet. I will continue to use them along with other high quality brands.

Back