75-90 vs 75-140 differential lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my 2011 nissan frontier SV 4.0 4WD 6 spd manual has a dana 44 variant + nissan recommends their weak 75-140 semi synthetic lube. i am going to use Redlines superior true synthetic + was wondering if the 75-90 would be sufficient as i am not a hard user of my truck. thanks in advance to all replies

Can you not find synthetic 75W140 or are you trying to get better gas mileage?

Differentials only have passive cooling and are largely responsible for moving you along. I don't see how you benefit from leaving the factory spec.

I'd go with the factory spec gear oil, Mobil 1 is what I've been using and I have no complaints.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with the factory spec gear oil, Mobil 1 is what I've been using and I have no complaints.

I’m a long time user of Mobil 1 in 90 flavor … but the 140 doubles in price … it might be due to PAO but don’t s know so grabbed Valvoline 140 syn for the 2013 Charger …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I’m a long time user of Mobil 1 in 90 flavor … but the 140 doubles in price … it might be due to PAO but don’t s know so grabbed Valvoline 140 syn for the 2013 Charger …

That's interesting, I used the 140 in the rear of my Liberty and the 90 up front. I don't remember a price difference, but that isn't saying much.
wink.gif
I'll have to keep an eye out for that now. I bought enough at the time to service all three of my vehicles, two of which will be done very soon.

Use the weight Nissan recommends.

Do you need the LSD additive? If not, Supertech 75w-140 is cheap as is Valvoline, which has the additive if needed.

Last edited:
Use 75W90 , if you don't mind the extra goo.
Use 75W140, if you wish to stay away from possible diff gear whine.

In went about looking at different recommendations for Dana 44 axles. What I find is that most recommendations are 80w90 or 75w140. Because 75w90 tends to be the synthetic version of 80w90, I would say yes, you be good to use a full synthetic 75w90. Full synthetic 75w90 are superior to conventional 80w90. You live in PA, so your not in a hot climate and you said you will not use hard. If were to use hard, I say then go to the 75w140.

Redline’s 75W-110 is their newest blend, formulated with ester base stocks. It’s cold weather properties are as good or better than their 75W-90. I have been happy with it for the last 27k miles.

Last edited:
i am not looking for cheap but the good stuff!! already ordered MT 85 for the 6 spd, thanks Mola + some D4 for the transfer case, 75-90 spec in front 75-140 rear in the 12 bolt Dana. a little more mpg would be nice as the 4.0 frontier is a bit thirsty!! i have not seen their 75-110 while shopping + it sounds like a good compromise, planning to call redline on monday for their input + noise means nothing as i put a freer flowing cat back on it so i could hear it. only 28,xxx but a preowned 2011 from massachusetts with all OE fluids likely!

I would use at least the 75W-110 like suggested. IMO it's best to use 75W-140. Ford changed their 8.8" rear spec from 140 to 90 in the early 2000s and started blowing up rears as a result. They went back to 140 after that and it was the spec for my wife's 2010 Mustang. I think that's more from lack of maintenance because no one really services the rear end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back