72K miles on Amsoil using Bypass - PentaStar V6 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little confused from the paperwork shown,

Jan 2nd Lube time was 1894 Mi and miles on car was 62944mi

So the oil sample is about 12k miles?

Also how many filter changes where there? The filter is stated to take 1qt.

Last edited:
Yeah something is up with those dates/mileages for sure... I didn't notice that.

The bypass filtration filters should be changed every 2 years I think. It will remove 1 or so quarts from the system when these are changed so top-off oil is required. Also depends on which filter he is using they have 3 different sized ones available.

35.gif
This should be an interesting discussion.

I'm not liking those copper numbers AT ALL. Aluminum is starting to go up too. Also, I'm seeing a notable depletion in the additive metals. If I were in that situation, I'd be changing now.

Some of the differences in samples are due to time of the year the sample was taken.

Copper is not good. Too high. Oil cooler? Copper lines for the bypass setup?

At the end of the day a UOA costs more especially from OAI than an oil change.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Little confused from the paperwork shown,

Jan 2nd Lube time was 1894 Mi and miles on car was 62944mi

So the oil sample is about 12k miles?

Also how many filter changes where there? The filter is stated to take 1qt.

I don't hear exactly how many quarts of new oil was installed over the 60K miles on this oil. He said 1 qt at the bypass filter change, but did he add any along the way from oil consumption. The description info on the YouTube video says:

"In this video I talk about my 2013 Town and Country minivan in which I started using Amsoil oil in it at 18,000 miles(I've been a dealer for 18+ years). I have since installed a bypass filter unit and have begun to you use oil analysis for extended drain intervals. This will be my second oil analysis that I have submitted and I talk about the results and how I am able to continue to drive on the same oil I put in almost 60,000 miles ago."

I don't see the appeal of doing this, just put fresh oil and a filter annually! It's not that expensive!

If I were to use Bypass I would never go to this limit but use it to extend an oil change to the point it makes synthetic cost and the extra filter costs worth it over the price of a conventional oil change reaping the benefit of really clean oil all the time and the convenience of a lot longer OCI's. Those that run it this far it just ridiculous.

Only reason to use bypass filtration ... which I once considered, and am not averse to using in the future ... is to remove sub-10~5 micron contaminants, which does not seem necessary given modern bearing tolerances and wear patterns.

It's not cost-effective for regular "cleaning" of oil or to extend OCIs because modern synthetics mitiatate that need today. Was possibly more useful prior to the fuel injected / computer controlled / conventional only oil era roughly pre-1990. Especially in the 1950's and 1960's when they were first becoming popular (if you read Popular Mechanics and bought in on the backpage ads).

Still, if I were building up a new engine and could amortize the cost over the whole build, I'd still consider it. The rationale there would be then it would allow a freer flowing full flow oil filter, which would pass more oil pressure. I know that is somewhat weak as far as justification goes, but it's not harmful, which is not something you can say for most oil "treatments".

Not Amsol though, too expensive consumables when a case of single-ply Kimberley-Clark commercial rolls are a buck apiece.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Only reason to use bypass filtration ... which I once considered, and am not averse to using in the future ... is to remove sub-10~5 micron contaminants, which does not seem necessary given modern bearing tolerances and wear patterns.

Those sized particles can still do damage on journal bearings that run as tight as 0.0007~0.0010" (18 to 25 microns) clearance. The running MOFT oil wedge will be even smaller than the clearance spec. Any particles that can get sucked into the MOFT wedge of the bearing can do potential damage.

I think doing a bypass oil filter and UOAs only make sense for engines with large oil sumps, ie., diesel engines.

A bypass does nothing for the additives, they deplete at the same rate whether you have a bypass filter or not.

The oil alone for my Powerstroke (Rotella T6) is close to $90. Add a Ford filter and over $100. This is just buying oil at Walmart and filters at Amazon

StevieC
I really appreciate the YouTube video.
I think it's great that you are exploring the boundaries of a dual bypass filter system. I think that you could benefit from more uoa's in order to establish a longer baseline.
I'm currently 31 months and 91k miles into my dual bypass system run. I've done 10 uoa's and I figured out exactly what I need to do to sustain a healthy TBN, without ever changing my oil.
Here's a link to my last 5 uoa's @88k miles.
88k uoa https://imgur.com/gallery/o5IAiqF
Thanks again for your post and Good luck!

How much did the 10 UOAs cost? How much for the Bypass setup? How much are the replacment filters and 8+ qts of add oil? I am trying to do the math.

CT8
That is an excellent question.
I'll answer it the best way I can.
Let's compare it to what I was paying while my expedition was under warranty ( 100k miles )
I brought my own Mobil 1 to my local Ford Dealership approx every 5k miles and my cost was $75. 90k miles worth of oil changes is $1425. Not to mention the time involved getting my oil changed 19 times. Substantial!
Fast forward to the Amsoil Bypass Filter Setup. The Bypass Filter unit is $253. I run the big filters ( like the F250 Powerstroke diesels)
I run the Eao -26(25k mile filter) which costs $17 and the EaBP 100(70k mile filter) which costs $37. A gallon of the Amsoil SS 5w-20 is $37.50. From the beginning I've used 4 full flow filters 4x $17 is $68, 2 bypass filters 2x $37 is $74. 2 gallons of oil. 2x $37.50 is $75. The uoa's are $30 a piece. So 10 x $30 is $300.
So all total
$253 bypass unit
$68 full flow filters
$74 bypass filters
$75 Oil
$300 uoa's
$770 subtotal
$61.6 tax

$831.60 Total

Going fwd I'll be doing uoa's between full flow filter changes only. After 10 uoa's I have an excellent baseline. For example @212.5k miles, 237.5k miles, 262.k miles, 287.5k miles etc.

So you take your vehicle into the dealership for a grossly overpriced oil change but you don’t list a labor cost for the bypass install? That’s not exactly a valid comparison. If you do your own oil changes (and did the bypass install yourself or listed the labor cost for installation) the cost differential would be much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back