72K miles on Amsoil using Bypass - PentaStar V6 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
kschachn

Thank you for pointing out that I forgot to include the cost of the install. My mistake.
I have a welder who does work for me on my ranch.
He charged me $100 for Fabrication, Welding and Install.
So all total
$253 bypass unit
$100 installation
$68 full flow filters
$74 bypass filters
$75 Oil
$300 uoa's
$770 subtotal
$61.6 tax

$931.60 Total

Here's what the setup looks like.
https://imgur.com/a/D9dwr
https://imgur.com/a/sksf5

CT8
You are correct. M1 can certainly go longer than a 5k oci. It was my intention to do 7500 mile oci's, but it seemed like I often changed the oil early due to frequent long road trips. I figured that it was better to error on the side of caution.

Originally Posted By: Crusher
CT8
You are correct. M1 can certainly go longer than a 5k oci. It was my intention to do 7500 mile oci's, but it seemed like I often changed the oil early due to frequent long road trips. I figured that it was better to error on the side of caution.

Well the long trips are easier on the oil than short ones. If you predominately take longer trips then it is more likely the M1 would go out to the guaranteed limit.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Little confused from the paperwork shown,

Jan 2nd Lube time was 1894 Mi and miles on car was 62944mi

So the oil sample is about 12k miles?

Also how many filter changes where there? The filter is stated to take 1qt.

I don't hear exactly how many quarts of new oil was installed over the 60K miles on this oil. He said 1 qt at the bypass filter change, but did he add any along the way from oil consumption. The description info on the YouTube video says:

"In this video I talk about my 2013 Town and Country minivan in which I started using Amsoil oil in it at 18,000 miles(I've been a dealer for 18+ years). I have since installed a bypass filter unit and have begun to you use oil analysis for extended drain intervals. This will be my second oil analysis that I have submitted and I talk about the results and how I am able to continue to drive on the same oil I put in almost 60,000 miles ago."

For AmSoil to have so much experience at advertising, you would think they would tube up a video that does not have so many holes in it.
The very statement that it is the same oil as 60k ago is false in itself.
This does not encourage me to go out and get their product.

Misinformation Gentlemen...You don't have to listen to the soundtrack on the video, READ the UOA report. From about 0:35 to 1:15 on the video, the headings on the second column of the data read Date Sampled, Date Received, Lube Time, Unit Time, Lube Change, Lube ADDED is zero (0) and neither has the filter been changed. He IS running on the same lube for 60K miles.

Not trying to "pick on" anyone here, let's just READ THE DATA.
BTW. another poster has complained about the aluminum and copper...well, the test lab didn't flag them, but it seems some armchair tribologist on BITOG doesn't like them. Tough. Do whatever lets you sleep at night, and the OP can do likewise.

However, the grim reaper is the TBN, which, however slow, IS on an irreversible path down, so an eventual oil change is inevitable. But not today. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Little confused from the paperwork shown,

Jan 2nd Lube time was 1894 Mi and miles on car was 62944mi

So the oil sample is about 12k miles?

Also how many filter changes where there? The filter is stated to take 1qt.

I don't hear exactly how many quarts of new oil was installed over the 60K miles on this oil. He said 1 qt at the bypass filter change, but did he add any along the way from oil consumption. The description info on the YouTube video says:

"In this video I talk about my 2013 Town and Country minivan in which I started using Amsoil oil in it at 18,000 miles(I've been a dealer for 18+ years). I have since installed a bypass filter unit and have begun to you use oil analysis for extended drain intervals. This will be my second oil analysis that I have submitted and I talk about the results and how I am able to continue to drive on the same oil I put in almost 60,000 miles ago."

For AmSoil to have so much experience at advertising, you would think they would tube up a video that does not have so many holes in it.
The very statement that it is the same oil as 60k ago is false in itself.
This does not encourage me to go out and get their product.

The hardest thing for most to understand is that this type of OCI practice is so very uncommon, and we have VERY LITTLE for comparative purposes. You cannot look at info like this and try to analyze it in terms of a "normal" UOA, because there are several things which just don't lend themselves to conventional wisdom.

As most know, a UOA is going to see any particle as large as 5um or so, and anything smaller. But most all BP elements (commercially available ones like the Amsoil, MG, FS2500, etc) are all "absolute" around 2um or so, but not so much below that. Hence, any particle that is smaller than 2um has a reasonable chance of staying present in the lube sump for the entire duration of the OCI. Since there are 72k miles on this lube, that is a LOT of residual particulate staying in the sump. I don't care if it's Fe, Cu, soot or whatever, it's still in there if it's smaller than 2um. Which is why we see some substantial Cu in the count. I don't know the source; could be a cooler or could be a bearing. We have no idea. But that does not make it "wrong" to have such high Cu in this UOA. For an equivalent normal value, we'd had to add up the effect of perhaps 15 OCIs worth of Cu presumed to exist under 2um ...
Fe is the commonly accepted tracker of typical normal wear in most UOAs, because it tends to accumulate with exposure. But the Fe here is not nearly as affected as the Cu. That' does not make it wrong; just different. The only time stuff smaller than 2um is removed is when a filter element is changed, and the lube in the filter takes out a portion of the particles left in the OIL, not the media.

I will remind all that stuff this small (2um and smaller) is essentially harmless to the engine in most all cases.

Also, the top off effect with filter changes is difficult to understand. Sure, it bolsters the add-pack a bit, but that also alters the TCB to some degree. No SAE or other entity study data exists that I'm aware of to discuss how these long term effects alter the TCB. We know that the TCB improves with maturity, but there's likely a practical limit to it's growth; probably a parabolic curve that flatten out in terms of layer thickness vs time.

This is anecdotal only because there's very little to compare/contrast it to. We don't know if this is "normal" for this extreme duration or not.

It would be helpful to also have PCs along with these UOAs.

I'll not pass judgement as others have, other than to say it's interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3

...This is anecdotal only because there's very little to compare/contrast it to. We don't know if this is "normal" for this extreme duration or not.

It would be helpful to also have PCs along with these UOAs.

I'll not pass judgement as others have, other than to say it's interesting.

And anytime you add topoff oil, you aid in refreshing the additive package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back