6L80E OEM filter cut open @60,000

Changed the fluid and filter today. Figured I’d jimmy this filter open for some pics. This is the OEM filter at 60,000 miles. I did suck out 6 quarts of fluid around 30,000 miles and put fresh fluid back. I didn’t touch the pan then. There is some metal shavings where the filter bends (where the pickup tube sucks from. Other than that, it looks pretty good. Also is a picture of the magnet in the pan, it also looked pretty good. I replaced it with the same filter.

IMG_6026.jpeg
IMG_6025.jpeg
IMG_6023.jpeg
IMG_6020.jpeg

If that is the original filter then I don't see anything concerning, and it looks like you didn't clean the pan prior to this picture and the bottom is not caked with clutch material, looks good.

Since you replaced the filter with a OEM filter I would keep up with what you did before and use a fluid extractor every 30,000 miles.

So no need to change the filter? Just drop pan, clean magnet, and replace fluid?
There has been disagreements on whether or not to change the filter for years.

I always recommend changing the filter, it isn't a frequent service and the OEM filters are not expensive. Filter media can potentially break down over time and depending on the filter type/setup the seal or sealing surface could deteriorate resulting in it sucking air past the filter leading to premature failure.

If you are one of the hesitant types when it comes to changing the filter at least change it once with a OEM filter and then continue regular drain/fills or use an extraction pump.

6L80e w/191k miles in our 07 Yukon Denali.
I change the Dexron6 and filter every 50k, and dump the 6qts in the pan every 25k.
I proactively changed the torque converter and seals at 130k.

Changed the fluid and filter today. Figured I’d jimmy this filter open for some pics. This is the OEM filter at 60,000 miles. I did suck out 6 quarts of fluid around 30,000 miles and put fresh fluid back. I didn’t touch the pan then. There is some metal shavings where the filter bends (where the pickup tube sucks from. Other than that, it looks pretty good. Also is a picture of the magnet in the pan, it also looked pretty good. I replaced it with the same filter.

View attachment 178824View attachment 178825View attachment 178826View attachment 178827
Looks decent. Thank You for pictures and info 👍🇺🇸

Back