6l80 transmission linkage came off, what size nut?

in my truck with a 6l80, the shifter became soft and it wouldnt go into gear. crawled under and it looks like it came off the shift linkage. i manually got it into park temporarily but was wondering what size nut or what i can do to put it back on? or do i have to replace the whole linkage

thx

If the shift cable came off the manual shift lever & won't snap back on?........The shift cable will need to be replaced. Not really a hard job, Just time consuming pulling the front seat, Peeling the carpet back, Removing the driver knee bolster & unclipping the cable from the column.

These 2 tools make it alot easier......
*Trim tool to pop the cable off the ball stud on the column shift arm. A Flat Blade screwdriver also works but not as good.
*Hose pulling pliers to squeeze & release the cable mount tabs from the bracket on the Column & the bracket on the transmission.

ruGhqLz.jpg

mnODxVo.jpg

If the shift cable came off the manual shift lever & won't snap back on?........The shift cable will need to be replaced. Not really a hard job, Just time consuming pulling the front seat, Peeling the carpet back, Removing the driver knee bolster & unclipping the cable from the column.

These 2 tools make it alot easier......
*Trim tool to pop the cable off the ball stud on the column shift arm. A Flat Blade screwdriver also works but not as good.
*Hose pulling pliers to squeeze & release the cable mount tabs from the bracket on the Column & the bracket on the transmission.

ruGhqLz.jpg

mnODxVo.jpg

ill try my best to explain it. so when i crawled under i see the metal linkage thats connected to the transmision and that eorks fine and then i see the linkage that connects to the gear selector on the dash. they both are fine and they slide onto each other manually but the nut or whatever held them connected in place fell off. i put the gear selector linkage back on by hand temporarily and it stayed on for 2 gear shifts but fell back on. seems like a nut or something would solve the problem and be alot easier! or not safe?

The manual shift lever fell off the manual shift shaft & the shift cable is still attached to the shift lever? That's not a common mode of failure.....Just about impossible unless someone left the nut loose.

The nut size is 10x1.50mm, The factory nut is shouldered but it's not required as 700R4/TH350/TH400 had non-shouldered shift shaft nuts for years.

This nut is missing??
yvL8c21.jpg

There's a bushing that's broken causing your problem. GM only sells it as part of the cable. The cable may be sold as two pieces, and you may need both.

I've heard of people using generic bushings from help aisle packs, but if it's a daily driver you count on I'd just get the cable(s).

This is a very common problem with certain GM vehicles. Trailblazers eat shift cables for lunch.

The manual shift lever fell off the manual shift shaft & the shift cable is still attached to the shift lever? That's not a common mode of failure.....Just about impossible unless someone left the nut loose.

The nut size is 10x1.50mm, The factory nut is shouldered but it's not required as 700R4/TH350/TH400 had non-shouldered shift shaft nuts for years.

This nut is missing??
yvL8c21.jpg
wrong arrow. that part is fine
what broke off on mine is the black part

looks like a nut can go on but maybe im wrong, its just a bushing? can i just epoxy it on?

It's a bushing, that end would normally just snap on. If the captive bushing is broken/worn down, it won't grip and falls off. You can find generic Help! aisle bushings, but they are not an exact fit and I wouldn't count on them personally.

Ahh so gm only sells it as part of the cable that means I probably have to replace the hole cable which seems like a lot of work :(

When the wiper linkage failed on my w250 I got a pack of around a dozen bushings from the Help! section of O'Reillys. May be worth pawing through those. You'll know if they fit right.

Back