66-mile 1974 Ford Maverick might be most remarkable unremarkable barn find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously the older 1970-1973 Maverick Grabber with a three speed or four speed on the floor looked like a really nice economy car for the money and a little
entertaining as well. I find these models to be pretty sharp and the styling unique but good. Ford was just about out of ideas by the early 1970s in the USA,.

How was the handling on the early 6 cylinder manual trans version of this car? Good? Anyone own one of these ever?

If memory serves, a neighbour 'way back had a six cylinder Maverick - and it burned oil. I don't think it had that many miles on it - but apparently the valve stem seals were toast. Easy fix... with compressed air to hold the valves closed while releasing the valve springs, keepers, etc... and changing out the seals. Gotta love OHV / rockers for simple, stupid.

Oh, and what bright bulb came up with the idea of cylinder heads that prevent the removal of tired, old lifters? Seems to me that even lifters can be replaced on some OHV / rocker type cars - simply with a valve cover removal.

??

Last edited:
Cool find. My family has had a few. Green Grabber, yellow Maverick with a 6 that ran on LP. My sister had a couple Comets. My brother put some Thrush sidepipes on the Grabber.

The Maverick was an "OK" car...in that era. Too many guys are comparing a '70s Maverick to a modern day ride and you can't do it.
I'd still take a 2-door model or a Grabber if I'd ever see one in decent shape. A car like that sitting at a stop light today will get as much admiration as a modern day sports car. The six cylinder was a good economy motor back in the day and the 302 was an option. The 351W will fit in there with no problem. I still remember when the end of production of the Maverick was a year or two away and Ford was advertising that (don't know the exact figure here, but....) 70% of the scheduled maintenance for the Maverick wasn't needed. As for the "we had one and it was a lemon" remarks, every manufacturer had lemons back then. Just like every other make and model from 40+ years ago, I'd hate to be in a wreck driving the thing.

I didn't think my Maverick was a lemon; it was just a miserable car- and to be fair, most cars of that era were pathetic. My 1974 Monte Carlo was nice, but I had to install a 3:42 gear set, add cam/intake/headers/recurved ignition/duals, and a shift kit to help it get out of it's own way.
That said, I bought a 1975 2002 in 2008; it was still a joy to drive- even with the automatic; it was my son's first car. Of the cars of that decade I'd gladly drive an '02 tii, a 3.0CS, or a 1972 Z/28 every day.

Originally Posted by Kruse
The Maverick was an "OK" car...in that era. Too many guys are comparing a '70s Maverick to a modern day ride and you can't do it.
I'd still take a 2-door model or a Grabber if I'd ever see one in decent shape. A car like that sitting at a stop light today will get as much admiration as a modern day sports car. The six cylinder was a good economy motor back in the day and the 302 was an option. The 351W will fit in there with no problem. I still remember when the end of production of the Maverick was a year or two away and Ford was advertising that (don't know the exact figure here, but....) 70% of the scheduled maintenance for the Maverick wasn't needed. As for the "we had one and it was a lemon" remarks, every manufacturer had lemons back then. Just like every other make and model from 40+ years ago, I'd hate to be in a wreck driving the thing.

People do like to compare certain old cars against new. Classic muscle cars get a pass. Most old cars are inferior when compared to today's version. A new v6 Mustang will drive off from pretty much anything made back in the day. And you'll ride in comfort and hardly ever need to pop the hood.

I don't recall them being all that bad. Most of the low cost imports of this era were gouge your eyes out ugly, and only marginally better mechanically.

There were a few exceptions, but you could count them on less than two hands.

That said, buying a nearly new '74 Maverick today would be eaten up with stupid.

I've had a '70 & '71 Maverick. Both had a 302 and C4 that I built. I love the 70-72 model years.

I built this one my senior year in HS ( 1991 ). It was a '71 These are pictures of pictures that's why the wheels might look a little like the camber is crazy.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
They weren't bad cars. I'd characterize them as "honest"

People forget that in 1974 Japanese cars were just beginning to be accepted as "real" cars. They didn't really catch on in a big way until a couple of years later.

In the early days Japanese cars rusted like all the rest … by the early 90's all vehicle panels were well primed/coated and rust prevention had greatly improved …

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
They weren't bad cars. I'd characterize them as "honest"

People forget that in 1974 Japanese cars were just beginning to be accepted as "real" cars. They didn't really catch on in a big way until a couple of years later.

Good observation. It is darn hard to find a brand new "honest car" for sale today...Perhaps the Toyota Yaris, Mitsu Mirage, Honda Fit?

Originally Posted by AdRock
I've had a '70 & '71 Maverick. Both had a 302 and C4 that I built. I love the 70-72 model years.

I built this one my senior year in HS ( 1991 ). It was a '71 These are pictures of pictures that's why the wheels might look a little like the camber is crazy.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Real nice AdRock. The 302 and the C4 were a great combination. Worked on many of them.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Someone saved a Maverick? Okay there has to be a punchline.

Yeah, I know. I'd like to know the story.

I just assume every barn find is a Maserati or something.

Originally Posted by MCompact
The ‘74 Maverick and my girlfriend's ‘75 Mustang II encouraged me to study and work hard so that I would never have to drive anything like them ever again.

This got me to LOL!

Originally Posted by Kruse

I will say that our neighbor had a Chevy Vega that made our Comets and Mavericks look like Rolls Royces back in the 70s.
My mom was hassling my dad about buying a super cheap Vega when we only had one car until she drove one as a rental during a trip to FL that I think was actually a failed attempt to relocate before filing for divorce...she never mentioned buying a Vega again after that. Mom tried to pass the trip off as an extended vacation, but we stayed with relatives most of the time and she made some comments to them about not being able to find a good job...hmmm.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Someone saved a Maverick? Okay there has to be a punchline.

Maybe they were just trying to forget it even existed?

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by Cujet
An example of a truly awful car. Not competitive with any of the foreign competition of the time.

My sister owned one back then and found it to be a since car for her. It was reliable, cost effective, and easy to maintain. I also owned a 1969 Ford 2 door Fairlane with the 250 six( a work horse of an engine) and it was also a good car for it's time. Great to see cars like this. Thanks for posting.

My first car was exactly like this one, except it came in a metallic green color inside and out. Not objectionably or poisonously green, though my then-wife and I used to call it "Klingon Green." Ours had the A/C, autobox, power steering (but not power brakes -- not that you needed 'em with only 90 hp), and the 250 cid engine. I learned to drive on it and to perform most of the basic maintenance like oil changes, filters, and coolant changes. It got about 15-16 mpg on regular, and when gas was .55/gallon, and even 1.00 in 1979-1981, that wasn't too bad.

I'd probably find it tinny and awful to drive today, after years with Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Mercedes, and a BMW 3 Series. But back then, after years or riding buses and cadging rides from increasingly reluctant friends, I loved it!

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by Cujet
An example of a truly awful car. Not competitive with any of the foreign competition of the time.

In the early seventies, the foreign competition wasn't all that great either.
The Maverick offered solid mechanicals and fuel economy wasn't all that bad either.
Not a great car but not really a bad one. It sold in large volumes and it was the parent of the big selling Granada, and yes, I did do some miles in a Maverick back in the day.

Absolutely.

In '74 I had the dubious joy of riding in a college friend's Honda Civic -- one of the first CVCC models, a little shoebox in orange with a black interior. I'm not even sure it had A/C, and it rode on our bad streets as if it had Flintstone rock discs at each corner instead of tires. The Maverick was a luxury car by comparison.

I liked Corgi cars when I was a kid and had a friend on my street that loved to play with mine...we were messing with them one day and I told him that I thought our Comet was a nice looking car and Corgi should include it in their line.
He rolled on the floor and laughed at me until I got so mad that I picked up my cars and went home!

I also had Corgi models of a self propelled cannon and a towed howitzer with an ammo limber...they shot little plastic "shells" and we would engage in endless warfare with them.
Amazing that neither one of us ever took one in the eye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back