66-mile 1974 Ford Maverick might be most remarkable unremarkable barn find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by R1jake
My question is why buy a new maverick and 4 door mustard color at that to take home and park for 35 years??

Maybe the owner got sick or something along those lines? Life takes a turn when you least expect it.

I saw an article on a 3000 mile '59 Impala 2 door with the 348 a while ago. The original owner was a teacher who was unable to drive it shortly after buying it due to a medical condition. She had a mechanic come over and properly prep the car for long term storage, in case she could ever drive again. Unfortunately she never did, but the car remained pristine in her garage for something like 35 years.

A red 4 door '76 Comet was the first new car my folks bought after a '66 2 door Comet in yellow IIRC...it had been sitting on the lot for a long time and they got a good deal on it because it didn't have power steering. I can still remember my mom grunting as she tried to get that thing to turn at low speed, but it was a big improvement over walking to work like she did for a couple of years. My folks had severe financial troubles while my dad didn't work for several years in the early '70s, but things slowly got better after he took a 2nd shift job as a janitor...poor mom worked 3 jobs to keep us going before that, secretary during the day and two waitressing jobs nights and weekends. Dad's big old Merc had broken down and the '66 Comets was the only working vehicle in the family for a long time, after dad started working again mom had to walk until they saved up for another car. You'd think dad could have at least dropped her off in the morning even though he worked 2nd shift, but he and mom rarely spoke and I guess sharing a ride was something neither one of them was interested in.
Dad also picked up a '76 Nova two door in silver and a mid '70s Maverick two door in something like white or beige after the '66 Comet bit the dust and the latter car had severe rust issues...I swear dad was out applying bondo to it every other week. These were all pretty crummy cars, but I drove the Nova if I was given a choice and ended up taking it to Dallas with me after college when dad let me take my pick of the three. The '76 Comet mostly avoided the rust bug, but even I didn't like dealing with the manual steering...I don't think I ever drove the Maverick as it looked like it might fall apart at any time. I remember stripping the driver's side window crank on that Comet while I was driving to hang out with friends who were meeting up a long ways from my home, the window was stuck partway down and it was a cold, windy Chicago day....man, was I freezing! I thought dad would be mad at me the next day, but he told me that he had done the same thing several times and fixed it within hours. I was dropping the window to pay one of the infamous Chicago area tolls and tried to raise it too fast because I was already freezing just from that.
Dad ended up buying a used Mercury Marquis (not Grand) after I moved away and he thought that thing was the cat's meow...it had some kind of loud hiss coming from the steering column that freaked me out, but his hearing was pretty bad by then and he just ignored me when I told him about it. Dad eventually had a stroke and couldn't drive anymore (and my sister never got a driver's license so it was no good to her), but he couldn't bear to part with the Marquis for years and eventually he let his sister have it towed away when I wasn't able to get it to back out of the garage while I was visiting. Don't know if my aunt ever drove it, but my guess is it went straight to a junkyard.
Pretty bad cars, a mix of good and bad memories...I do remember how happy my mom, sister, and I all were when mom first took us out to dinner in her red Comet, that was a nice night.

The earlier versions especially the 1970-1973 Maverick Grabbers looked really nice and had good performance for the money!

My dad had one about that age range in poop brown with that exact interior, except it was a 3 on the tree. What a pile.

Looking at those underneath pics, the way the body is tacked together, no wonder these things rusted to bits in 3-4 winters.

The multi link steering.. I can feel the half revolution of slop.

That thing is awesome, I'd so swap a windsor in it and leave it looking just like that on the outside....
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Cujet
An example of a truly awful car. Not competitive with any of the foreign competition of the time.

My sister owned one back then and found it to be a since car for her. It was reliable, cost effective, and easy to maintain. I also owned a 1969 Ford 2 door Fairlane with the 250 six( a work horse of an engine) and it was also a good car for it's time. Great to see cars like this. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Imp4
Piece of crap.

Says the man driving the 20 year old Galant.

LOL!
banana2.gif

The ‘74 Maverick and my girlfriend's ‘75 Mustang II encouraged me to study and work hard so that I would never have to drive anything like them ever again.

My friend in high school had a weird shade of green Maverick that was the most embarrassing pos I've ever experienced. A different part would fall off of it on a daily basis. I'll never forget the day he was dropping me off at my house after school. We thought he'd ran something over,but it was the entire exhaust system that had fallen off haha!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My friend in high school had a weird shade of green Maverick that was the most embarrassing pos I've ever experienced. A different part would fall off of it on a daily basis. I'll never forget the day he was dropping me off at my house after school. We thought he'd ran something over,but it was the entire exhaust system that had fallen off haha!

Metallic Pea?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Metallic Pea?

Haha!

Originally Posted by Cujet
An example of a truly awful car. Not competitive with any of the foreign competition of the time.

In the early seventies, the foreign competition wasn't all that great either.
The Maverick offered solid mechanicals and fuel economy wasn't all that bad either.
Not a great car but not really a bad one. It sold in large volumes and it was the parent of the big selling Granada, and yes, I did do some miles in a Maverick back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back