5w-40 Beginning TBNs

I disagree. Amsoil and HPL do too as of today.
You can disagree all you want to. What I posted is peer reviewed it’s replicated in testing the point is TBN isn’t a solid indicator as it once was and people need to understand the importance of oxidation values and TAN to know what the real life of the oil is.

What specifically do you disagree with in that Chevron link?

You tend to make a lot of statements but so far nothing has been reinforced with any sort of technical argument.
"Improved piston ring and liner design resulted in less blow-by into the crankcase"
"meant lower contaminant loading into the crankcase and thus the engine oil."

......to start

pre GM Ecotec for example, the 5.3 Vortec, a 2-300K engine everyday all day, then in 2011, all of a sudden, camshafts deaths, why? I say, the coupling between lower viscoity oil, incorrect chemistry, and fuel dilution due to non sealing piston rings

my experience is with GM vehicles by in large, and have seen many many many with fuel dilution, when they went to DI.
You tend to make a lot of statements but so far nothing has been reinforced with any sort of technical argument.

You tend to have no real world experience with any of these issues, you read from a book, and regurgitate what you are told. No real thinking for yourself. My personal experiences are not able to be quantified and further validated by you. I could find exactly what you were looking for, and you would state "thats not good enough". Make up your own conclusions, based on your own data.

If Amsoil and HPL have a high TBN, I think it is for a reason, no matter what the "scientist" and its documents are saying.

1996 Honda Accord, 319K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 471K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 315K
2020 Volkswagen Tiguan, 80K

I see 3 here that do not even apply to the argument.......the mileage you have on these upper three, will not be see by your Tiguan. it will die before then, and not just because it is a Volkswagen

"Improved piston ring and liner design resulted in less blow-by into the crankcase"
"meant lower contaminant loading into the crankcase and thus the engine oil."

......to start

pre GM Ecotec for example, the 5.3 Vortec, a 2-300K engine everyday all day, then in 2011, all of a sudden, camshafts deaths, why? I say, the coupling between lower viscoity oil, incorrect chemistry, and fuel dilution due to non sealing piston rings

my experience is with GM vehicles by in large, and have seen many many many with fuel dilution, when they went to DI.

You tend to have no real world experience with any of these issues, you read from a book, and regurgitate what you are told. No real thinking for yourself. My personal experiences are not able to be quantified and further validated by you. I could find exactly what you were looking for, and you would state "thats not good enough". Make up your own conclusions, based on your own data.

If Amsoil and HPL have a high TBN, I think it is for a reason, no matter what the "scientist" and its documents are saying.

1996 Honda Accord, 319K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 471K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 315K
2020 Volkswagen Tiguan, 80K

I see 3 here that do not even apply to the argument.......the mileage you have on these upper three, will not be see by your Tiguan. it will die before then, and not just because it is a Volkswagen
Well perhaps you can explain what I don't understand or what I get wrong in my posts. Your "explanation" of how GDI works and the posts about how it affects TBN is a complete dumpster fire.

This isn't the first topic you've had odd and weird notions that aren't connected to reality. Chevron's explanation about blow-by is exactly correct in that link. Disagreeing with it only shows you really do not understand what you're discussing here.

I'm not the only one who has pointed this out. In fact, everyone in this thread has noted the same thing as they have done in the past. No one has agreed with nor supported your alternative reality explanations. The pre-ignition and LSPI thread is a perfect example where you did not understand the fundamentals and confused the two. Only when others started to point out your misunderstanding did you finally retreat.

Last edited:
Well perhaps you can explain what I don't understand
i drew it in crayon
Your "explanation" of how GDI works and the posts about how it affects TBN is a complete dumpster fire.
not true, I expalned it in crayon, if you dont understand pressure differentials, that is on you, I thought you were a smart guy or girl
This isn't the first topic you've had odd and weird notions
thanks for following me with such precision

i drew it in crayon

not true, I expalned it in crayon, if you dont understand pressure differentials, that is on you, I thought you were a smart guy or girl

thanks for following me with such precision
Since you can’t understand what a scientific peer review paper is. It’s where any lab can produce the same results every single time without fail. What you post is antidotal at best. You have no proof you have no cited sources nothing and you reject the facts.

Back