508.00-509.00 oil for Honda K24Z3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
new poster, been a long time lurker. Could not find any "introduce yourself" section so I am posting my question.
I bought a Euro Accord Tourer 2.4 (Acura tsx wagon in the US) with 50k miles. Currently 76k miles the car runs great but burns around
1.5 liter per oil change (10000 km-6200 miles). Been using Motul oils for since I got it, anything from xcess 5w40 and 5w30 to synergy 10w40.
My last change I decided to go with Eco-nergy 5w30 and the engine seems to like it, revs much easier and sounds great, quiet at idle.
So after reading around I am starting to understand that I can go thinner without any "risk" like you do in the US
I would like to try a real synthetic 0w20 to see how the car takes it and I found the Motul specific 508509:

Viskosität SAE J 300 0W-20
Dichte bei 20°C ASTM D 1298 0,833
Viskosität bei 100°C ASTM D 445 7.8 mm²/s
Viskosität bei 40°C ASTM D 445 38.5 mm²/s
Viskositätsindex ASTM D 2270 179
HTHS-Viskosität bei 150°C ASTM D 4741 2,5 mPa*s
Stockpunkt ASTM D 97 -52°C
Flammpunkt ASTM D 92 222°C
SulfataschegehaltASTM D 874 0,79 Gewichts-%
TBNASTM D 2896 8,3 mg KOH/g

I am in Switzerland, winter can be quite chilly here, the cars sees 98 % motorway use, most of the time long runs (700 miles journeys)
a few of the in german motorways.
Can I use this oil?

I had a 2004 Honda Accord EX sedan (5-speed manual transmission) with that 2.4L engine. Great car! Leather interior, automatic climate control, sunroof, really nice. Engine didn't have a lot of low-end grunt, but it did quite nicely once you got it up to speed out on the highway. I usually got in the high 20s for fuel economy. Nice gearbox, but the clutch was inadequate - started chattering a bit after just a handful of aggressive launches. Oh, and the brake rotors were garbage. Always warping. Just too small for regular higher-speed use. But oh well, what can you expect from what is a relatively pedestrian family car. I only got rid of the car because I got into riding dirt bikes, and needed a truck, hence my current Tacoma.

If your Accord is already using oil, switching to a 20W oil will only make the problem worse.

The only reason for the specification of 20W oils here in the USA is government pressure on the automakers to eke out a few more tenths of a MPG in fuel economy.

I can't see any good reason to switch to a 20W oil in your car. I suggest sticking with a quality synthetic 30W. Possibly a Euro 30W with a bit higher resistance to shear if you do a lot of higher-speed driving, like on the Autobahn.

As for your oil usage problem, it might be due to carbon fouling of your oil control rings, causing them to stick in the ringlands and not seal the cylinders, allowing oil to bypass them and get burned in the cylinders. Lately I've heard mention here of an oil called Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30. It's a very high quality oil designed to clean carbon/soot deposits out of diesel engines, but it won't hurt anything to run in your car for at least one oil change interval to see if you can get those ringlands cleaned up.

Welcome to the site!

And do let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks for the advice. I might stick with the Eco-Nergy for a while then. HTHS is 3.2 and viscosity at 100°C is 10.1. The car actually feels very good with this oil. The 5w40 was definitly too thick, could feel the drag. Gonna try to get hold of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 for the summer and see if I get some result.

You can do what you like with your own car and your own money, but remember, viscosity is dictated by climate.
Google 'SAE J300' for specific information

Originally Posted by MParr
I would think any 504.00/507.00 oil would work well and be readily available.

++++1
smile.gif

Meaning 0w20 are not apt for europan continemtal clima, average speeds and other variables? Please clarify that.
I recall reading somewhere the K24 engine was developed around a 0w20 oil already at that time.

Go to the Mobil, Shell or Castrol sights and do a search for your vehicle. I came up with the 504.00/507.00 recommendation from Mobil UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back