5/32 of tread ok for one more winter? (Jeep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BFG AT's (31x10.50R15) currently have 55k on them and are down to 5/32 of tread. My question is can I "safely" get one more Chicago Winter out of them or is it time to buy a new set of tires for the jeep?

Why risk it? You already know they need to be replaced. Get new ones and drive it with confidence instead of worrying about it on snowy days.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Why risk it? You already know they need to be replaced. Get new ones and drive it with confidence instead of worrying about it on snowy days.

+1 nothing else to say....

My experience is you simply have to find out. Its tire specific. Drive carefully in first storm and see.

That's really tire specific. Plenty of car tires only start with 9/32. Being a truck tire, though, it probably started with 12 or 15/32.

I guess if you need to ask they need to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: Rand
should have 6/32 or more for best results

Or 3/16. I run my tires to the tread wear indicators then replace regardless of the season.

They tend to keep the roads plowed pretty well in/around Chicago. I'd say run 'em and see how you feel. I've got about the same tread remaining on my tires and not planning on replacements until next spring or summer.

Just curious, who measured your tires? I had an alignment done today and the mechanic wrote tread depth numbers on the work report.

Tires are SO HIGH NOW. Is the Jeep 4x4?

Originally Posted By: jorton
Just curious, who measured your tires? I had an alignment done today and the mechanic wrote tread depth numbers on the work report.

Tires are SO HIGH NOW. Is the Jeep 4x4?

I measured the tread depth myself. The front have about 5/32 and the rears are between 5/32 and 4/32. The reason for the questions is that I don't have $700 for new tires and thought I could put it off for another 6-8 months. If we didn't get snow here I would be fine as the wet weather (rain) traction isn't bad at all with my current tires.

Do you still have your sipes? Sometimes those are only cut halfway down. Maybe you could re-sipe with a utility knife.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Do you still have your sipes? Sometimes those are only cut halfway down. Maybe you could re-sipe with a utility knife.

I did think about this. Do you think a shop like discount tire would sipe them with the current tread depths?

Did that jeep come with 31's? If not you could save some money for sure if you went back to the stock 215 or 225/75R15's? I would suggest changing the tires before winter, why risk it? If your going to get new in spring i'd rather have that new tires in the snow when you need the traction.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I did think about this. Do you think a shop like discount tire would sipe them with the current tread depths?

They only sipe new unused tires.. rocks and stuff in the tread would ruin their toolbits.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Rand
should have 6/32 or more for best results

Or 3/16. I run my tires to the tread wear indicators then replace regardless of the season.

I said for best results if you dont have enough tread your deep snow traction is compromised.

Also below 4/32 wet braking distance increases considerably.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with Rand. Tire Rack's standard for snow is 6/32". You really do need new tires now, but it's tough when you can't afford them. As painful as it might be to raise $700, an accident can easily cost you thousands.

Is your work commute short? Distance to every other destination? What about hills? Do people ever pull out in front of you without any warning? I can't speak for Chicago, but this constantly happens to me in Oklahoma City. Even when you have good tires on your vehicle, it's a real butt-puckering situation.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I'd run 'em. Air them down a bit if it snows.

?! air 'em down?

Works in sand...but NOT in snow...lowering pressure increases contact patch but that does not necessarily help in snow, in which the tire is displacing snow as well as interacting with the snow. A wider contact patch requires the tire to displace more snow in order to contact the pavement, thus reducing traction in many situations...In a blizzard, where there are feet of snow, airing down might help because snow interaction is the only source of traction, but in many situations, rain, freezing rain, light-moderate snow, slush, airing down will hurt you...

5/32 is pushing it for snow traction, I've got the BFGs on my truck and they have a good void/rubber ratio...but aren't real snows...I would replace yours. The BFGs are great off-road, but are not as good in snow as some dedicated winter tires...if you really need snow traction, look for true winter tires...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Works in sand...but NOT in snow...lowering pressure increases contact patch but that does not necessarily help in snow, in which the tire is displacing snow as well as interacting with the snow. A wider contact patch requires the tire to displace more snow in order to contact the pavement, thus reducing traction in many situations...In a blizzard, where there are feet of snow, airing down might help because snow interaction is the only source of traction, but in many situations, rain, freezing rain, light-moderate snow, slush, airing down will hurt you...

5/32 is pushing it for snow traction, I've got the BFGs on my truck and they have a good void/rubber ratio...but aren't real snows...I would replace yours. The BFGs are great off-road, but are not as good in snow as some dedicated winter tires...if you really need snow traction, look for true winter tires...

Of course it helps in a snow storm. I've been wheeling for 20+ years in New England. There is no way any tire you ever run, will cut down to the street in a snow storm. The poor mans snow tire works. Many people tell about what they hear. I like to tell about my experience.

Your examples are in regard to new or good tires in conditions other than a snow storm. Given what this guy is running (worn BFG AT's w/5/32), he'll have better traction at 10-12 PSI than with recommended pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back